- Volume 33 Issue 1
Objectives: The study aimed to determine the prevalence of and the relationship between stress and musculoskeletal symptoms among undergraduate students. Methods: The convenience sampling method was used for this cross-sectional survey that was conducted from June 16, 2014 to June 21, 2014. A total of 223 subjects (88 men, 135 women) participated in the study and completed a comprehensive self-administered questionnaire requesting information on demographics, medical history, lifestyle, and musculoskeletal symptoms. The Depression Anxiety Stress Scale (DASS) was also administered to the subjects. A total of 223 subjects from 12 universities completed the questionnaires; the data obtained was used for the final statistical analysis. Results: Women had a higher prevalence of stress and musculoskeletal symptoms. Adjusting for sex and age, subjects who were stressed had a 2.85-fold higher risk of musculoskeletal symptoms than subjects who were not stressed. Stratified analyses by sex also showed that women had a higher risk of musculoskeletal symptoms (Modified OR 2.98, 95% CI 1.38-6.45). Conclusions: We found a positive association between stress and musculoskeletal symptoms in undergraduate students; sex differences were present. Further dose-response relationship between stress and musculoskeletal symptoms will be identified by a longitudinal study with a larger sample size.
stress;musculoskeletal abnormality;sex difference;undergraduate students
- Akin A. & Cetin B. (2007). The Depression Anxiety and Stress Scale (DASS): The study of Validity and Reliability. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 7(1), 260-268.
- Baron, S., Hales, T., & Hurrell, J. (1996). Evaluation of symptom surveys for occupational musculoskeletal disorders. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 29(6), 609-617. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(199606)29:6<609::AID-AJIM5>3.0.CO;2-E
- Cho, C. Y., Hwang, I. S., & Chen, C. C. (2003). The association between psychological distress and musculoskeletal symptoms experienced by Chinese high school students. The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 33(6), 344-353. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2003.33.6.344
- Choi, K. W. (2014). Factors related to self-rated health in adolescents: findings form the Korea Youth Panel Survey. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 31(3), 39-51. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.3.39
- Hong, S. W., Uhm, D. C., & Jun, M. H. (2010). Job stress and work-related musculoskeletal symptoms of 119 emergency medical technicians. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 19(2), 223-235.
- Hupert, N., Amick, B. C., Fossel, A. H., Coley, C. M., Robertson, M. M., & Katz, J. N. (2004). Upper extremity musculoskeletal symptoms and functional impairment associated with computer use among college students. Work, 23(2), 85-93.
- Jang, E. Y., Kim, S. J., & Lee, J. H. (2004). The association between daily hours of computer use, posture, stress and musculoskeletal symptoms in university students. The Journal of Ewha Nursing, 38, 90-109.
- Jenkins, M., Menendez, C. C., Amick, B. C., Tullar, J., Hupert, N., Robertson, M. M., & Katz, J. N. (2007). Undergraduate college students' upper extremity symptoms and functional limitations related to computer use: a replication study. Work, 28(3), 231-238.
- Kim, H. M. (2005). The effect of yoga on cardio-pulmonary function, musculoskeletal function and perception of health status of some students in college. The Korean Journal of East West Science, 8(1), 15-30.
- Kim, J. H. (2012). The mediating effects of self-control and health promoting lifestyle in the relationship between life stress and adjustment to college life among college students(master's thesis). The Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Kim, M. H. (2013). Factors affecting mental health among college students-sassang constitution and ego State centered approach. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 27(3), 564-577. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.3.564
- Kim, S. J., Chai, S. K., Lee, K. W., Park, J. B., Min, K. B., Kil, H. G., Lee, C., & Lee, K. J. (2014). Exposure-response relationship between aircraft noise and sleep quality: a community based cross-sectional study. Osong Public Health and Research Perspectives. 5(2), 108-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2014.03.004
- Kwon, S. B., Yi, Y. J., Han, H. J., Cho, K. S., Lim, N. Y., Lee, E. H., Son, H. M., Park, Y. S., Kim, J. H., & Kang, H. S. (2012). Leg Length Inequality, Habitual Posture, and Pain in Women's College Students. Journal of muscle and joint health. 19(1), 27-36. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2012.19.1.027
- Lee, C. H. (2007). The causes of stress and coping strategies among university students(master's thesis). Graduate School of Public Health Daegu Haany University.
- Lee, E. H. (2004). Testing for moderating effects of coping style with structural equations: life stress and depressive symptoms among college students. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 9(1), 25-48.
- Lee, H. J. (2012). The effect of examination stress on the somatization among korean elementary school students(master's thesis). Incheon National University.
- Lee, K. W. (2007). Relations between depression, anxiety, stress and the concentration of urinary hydroxyproline and Proline(Doctoral dissertation). Yonsei University.
- Lee, M. S. (2014). The effect of working environment and socio-psychological factors of physiotherapists on musculoskeletal symptom(master's thesis). Graduate School of Health Science, Eulji University.
- Lim, S. O., & Kim, H. H. (2011). The moderating effects of professional identity on the relationship between job stress and burnout of care workers from care facilities. Journal of Korean Social Welfare Administration, 13(3), 151-176.
- Lovibond, S. H., & Lovibond, P. F. (1995). Manual for the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales. 2nd ed. Sydney. Psychology Foundation.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor. (2004). Musculoskeletal Disorders Prevention Services Manual.
- Murberg, T. A., & Bru, E. (2004). School-Related Stress and Psychosomatic Symptoms among Norwegian Adolescents. School Psychology International, 25(3), 317-332. https://doi.org/10.1177/0143034304046904
- Nam, M. Y. (2010). The role of teacher efficacy in the correlation between special education teachers' job stress and burnout(master's thesis). Graduate School of Education at Chungang University.
- Nieuwenhuijsen, K., de Boer, A. G., Verbeek, J. H., Blonk, R. W., & van, F. J. (2003). The Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS): detecting anxiety disorder and depression in employees absent from work because of mental health problems. Occupational and environmental medicine, 60(Suppl 1), i77-82. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.60.suppl_1.i77
- Bernard, B. P. (Ed.). (1997). Musculoskeletal disorders and workplace factors: a critical review of epidemiologic evidence for work-related musculoskeletal disorders of the neck, upper extremity, and low back (No. 97-141). Cincinnati, OH, USA: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
- Noh, E. K., Park, J., & Choi, C. H. (2010). Relationship between high school students' awareness of mental health and subjective quality of sleep. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 27, 67-74.
- Oh, G. H. (2009). The relationship between life stress and physical/ mental health among college students(master's thesis). Sahmyook University.
- Oh, H. S. (2008). The study on relationship between school stress and stress coping behavior & mental.physical health about students of high school(master's thesis). Graduate school of Education, Kangwon National University.
- Page, R. M., & Suwanteerangkul, J. (2009). Self-rated health, psychosocial functioning, and health-related behavior among Thai adolescents. Pediatrics International, 51(1), 120-125. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-200X.2008.02660.x
- Park, J. K. (2014). Musculoskeletal disorder symptom factors and control strategies in general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 24(3), 371-382. https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2014.24.3.371
- Park, K. C., Lee, K. J., Park, J. B., Min, K. B., & Lee, K. W. (2008). Association between occupational stress and depression, anxiety, and stress symptoms among white-collar male workers in an automotive company. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 20(3), 215-224.
- Piercealla, E. A., & Keimb, M. C. (2007). Stress and coping strategies among community college students. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 31(9), 703-712. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668920600866579
- Statistic Korea. (2013). Korean Social Trends 2013.
- Towbes, L. C. & Cohen, L. H. (1996). Chronic stress in the lives of college students: scale development and prospective prediction of distress. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 25(2), 199-217. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537344
- Tremblay, S., Dahinten, S., & Kohen D. (2003). Factors related to adolescents' self-perceived health. Health Reports, 14(Suppl), 7-16.
- Tyerman A., & Humphrey, M. (1983). Life stress, family support and adolescent disturbance. Journal of Adolescence, 6(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-1971(83)80052-9
- Yoo, J. H., Ro, H. L., & Lee, M. Y. (2008). The musculoskeletal pain and inconvenient feeling during hand instruments with mannequin and intra-oral cavity in dental hygiene students. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, 3(4), 247-254.
- Yoon, J. W., Yi, K. J., Kim, S. Y., Oh, J. G., & Lee, J. T. (2007). The relationship between occupational stress and musculoskeletal symptoms in call center employees. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 19(4), 293-303.