- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors related to suicidal ideation by gender among adolescents in Peru : Focused on baseline survey for adolescents in poor urban area of Peru
성별에 따른 페루 청소년의 자살생각 관련 요인: 페루 도시빈민지역 학생 기초조사 결과를 중심으로
Kim, Ha Yun;Nam, Eun Woo
- Received : 2016.02.01
- Accepted : 2016.03.25
- Published : 2016.03.31
Objectives: The aim of this study is to verify relationship between suicidal ideation and associated socio-demographic, psychological and behavioral, violence, protective factors among in poor urban area adolescents in Peru. Methods: A cross-sectional survey was conducted in a sample of 981 secondary school adolescents in 2014 collaborating with Korea International Cooperation Agencies (KOICA) Peru office. For statistical analysis, Chi-square test, logistic regression analysis methods were used. Results: 14.0% of male and 37.1% of female were reported having suicidal ideation during the past 12 months. Suicidal ideation experience of male is affected by mother's education level, depression, life satisfaction, sexual intercourse experience, fight experience, insulted experience. Female is affected by depression, life satisfaction, sexual intercourse experience, insulted experience and physical abuse experience. Conclusions: Suicidal ideation experience in poor urban area of Peru is affected by socio-demographic, psychological and behavioral, violence factors. To solve and prevent suicide of adolescents in this kind of area, it is necessary to apply an integrated development program for parents and teachers to participate. For the sustainable preventive program, there is a need to introduce a counseling program, such as psychological counseling to adolescents suicide prevention programs.
global health;suicide ideation;suicide prevention education;adolescent;Peru
- United Nations. (2014). Social inclusion of youth with mental health conditions. United States : Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
- Kieling, C., Baker-Henningham, H., Belfer, M., Conti, G., Ertem, I., Omigbodun, O., & Rahman, A. (2011). Child and adolescent mental health worldwide: evidence for action. The Lancet, 378(9801), 1515-1525. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60827-1
- Belfer, M. L. (2008). Child and adolescent mental disorders: the magnitude of the problem across the globe. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 49(3), 226-236. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01855.x
- WHO Mortality database. (2012). Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/healthinfo/statistics/mortality/whodpms.
- Houri, D., Nam, E. W., Choe, E. H., Min, L. Z., & Matsumoto, K. (2012). The mental health of adolescent school children: a comparison among Japan, Korea, and China. Global Health Promotion, 19(3), 32-41.
- Rahman, A., Mubbashar, M. H., Gater, R., & Goldberg, D. (1998). Randomised trial of impact of school mental-health programme in rural Rawalpindi, Pakistan. The Lancet, 352(9133), 1022-1025. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(98)02381-2
- Kataoka, S. H., Stein, B. D., Jaycox, L. H., Wong, M., Escudero, P., Tu, W., & Fink, A. (2003). A school-based mental health program for traumatized Latino immigrant children. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 42(3), 311-318. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-200303000-00011
- Lim, S. S. (2006). The analysis of Relationship between Adolescents' Alienation.Depression.Purpose in life and Suicide Ideation. Unpublished master's thesis, Hankuk University, Seoul.
- Chin, Y. R., Lee, H. Y., & So, E. S. (2011). Suicidal ideation and associated factors by sex in Korean adults: a population-based cross-sectional survey. International Journal of Public Health, 56(4), 429-439. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-011-0245-9
- DEVIDA-Comision Nacional Para El Desarrollo Y Vida Sin Drogas. (2013). "IV ESTUDIO NACIONAL: PREVENCIOON Y CONSUMO DE DROGAS EN ESTUDIANTES DE SECUNDARIA 2012. Peru : USAID.
- Moon, D. K., & Kim, Y. H. (2011). A meta-regression analysis on related triggering variables of adolescents' suicidal ideation. Korean J Couns, 12(3), 945-964. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.945
- Sandin, B., Chorot P., Santed, M. A., Valiente, R. M., & Joiner, T. E. (1998). Negative life events and adolescent suicidal behavior: A critical analysis from the stress process perspective. Journal of Adolescence, 21, 415-426. https://doi.org/10.1006/jado.1998.0172
- Beck, A. T., Kovacs, M., & Weissman, A. (1979). Assessment of suicide intention: The scale for suicide ideation. Journal of Counsulting and Clinical Psychology, 47(2), 343-352. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.2.343
- Park, E. O. (2008). The Influencing Factors on Suicide Attempt among Adolescents in South Korea. J Korean Acad Nurs, 38(3), 465-473. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.465
- Simon, R. L., & Murphy, P. (1985). Sex Differences in the Causes of Adolescent Suicide Ideation. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 14(5), 423-434. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02138837
- Liu, X., & Tein, J. Y. (2005). Life events, psychopathology, and suicidal behavior in Chinese adolescents. Journal of affective disorders, 86(2), 195-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.01.016
- Hallfors, D., Waller, M. W., Ford, C. A., Halpern, C. T., Brodish, P. H., & Iritani, B. (2004). Adolescent depression and suicide risk: association with sex and drug behavior. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 27(3). 224-231.
- The Commission on Youth Protection. (2003). Adolescent suicide, how to prevent?: 1st Adolescent suicide prevention seminar.
- Murphy, G. E., & Wetzel, R. D. (1982). Family history of suicidal behavior among suicide attempters. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 170(2), 86-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-198202000-00004
- Watt, T. T., & Sharp, S. F. (2001). Gender differences in strains associated with suicidal behavior among adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 30(3), 333-348. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010444212607
- Lee, M. S. (2005). Study on the effect of social support on depression and suicide of the old. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul.
- Biddle, L., Donovan, J., Owen-Smith, A., Potokar, J., Longson, D., Hawton, K., & Gunnell, D. (2010). Factors influencing the decision to use hanging as a method of suicide: qualitative study. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 197(4), 320-325. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.109.076349
- Song, D. H., Lee, H. S., Chun, R. S., & Joung, Y. S. (1996). The psychiatric characteristics of suicide-attempters in adolescence. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, 35(6), 1366-1375.
- Kim, J. S., & Noh, S. D. (2003). Ego-resilience, school and family satisfaction, social support and depression: The relationship between adolescent's suicidal impulse and psychosocial variables. Journal of Student Guidance Research, 21, 153-172.
- Park, H. S., Koo, H. Y., & Schepp, K. G. (2005). Predictors of Suicidal Ideation for Adolescents by Gender. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 35(8), 1433-1442. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.8.1433
- Kim, D. S., & Kim, H. S. (2010). Early initiation of alcohol drinking, cigarette smoking, and sexual intercourse linked to suicidal ideation and attempts: findings from the 2006 Korean Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Yonsei Medical Journal, 51(1), 18-26. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2010.51.1.18
- Mann, J. J., Apter, A., Bertolote, J., Beautrais, A., Currier, D., Haas, A., & Mehlum, L. (2005). Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review. JAMA, 294(16), 2064-2074. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.16.2064
- Sosin, D. M., Koepsell, T. D., Rivara, F. P., & Mercy, J. A. (1995). Fighting as a marker for multiple problem behaviors in adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, 16(3), 209-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/1054-139X(94)00093-T
- Park, K. (2005). The moderating effects of problem-solving and social support on the relationship between child abuse and suicidal ideation in adolescents. The Korean Journal of School Psychology, 2(2), 131-147.
- Grossman, D. C., Milligan, B. C., & Deyo, R. A. (1991). Risk factors for suicide attempts among Navajo adolescents. American. Journal of Public Health, 81(7), 870-874.
- Grilo, C. M., Sanislow, C. A., Fehon, D. C., Lipschitz, D. S., Martino, S., & McGlashan, T. H. (1999). Correlates of suicide risk in adolescent inpatients who report a history of childhood abuse. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 40(6), 422-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-440X(99)90085-8
- Hong, N. M. (1998). Study on the Psychosocial Factors Influencing The Suicide Ideation Among Adolescents. Ehwa University.
- Kandel, D. B., Raveis, V. H., & Davies, M. (1991). Suicidal ideation in adolescence: Depression, substance use, and other risk factors. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 20(2), 289-309. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01537613
- Kim, S. T., & Nho, Choong. Rai. (2004). Empowerment Approach and Advocacy in Social Welfare with Youth. Ewha Social Welfare Review, 4, 51-81.