- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Failure Mechanism Evaluation in Normally Consolidated Cohesive Soils by Plane Strain Test with Digital Image Analysis
평면변형률 시험에서 디지털 이미지 해석을 통한 정규압밀 점성토의 파괴거동 분석
- Received : 2016.02.26
- Accepted : 2016.03.10
- Published : 2016.03.31
Soil failure is initiated and preceded by forming and progressing of shear band, defined as the localization of deformation into thin zones of soil mass. To understand the failure mechanism of normally consolidated cohesive soil, the spatial distribution and evolution of deformation within the entire specimen need to be evaluated. In this study, vertical compression tests under plane strain condition were performed on reconstituted kaolinite specimens, while capturing digital images of the specimen at regular intervals during shearing. Overall stress-strain behavior from initial to post peak has been analyzed together with spatial distributions of deformations and shear band characteristics from digital images at 4 stages.
Failure mechanism;Plane strain test;Digital image analysis;Strain distribution;Shear band characteristics
- Gylland, A. S., Jostad, H. P., and Nordal, S. (2014), "Experimental Study of Strain Localization in Sensitive Clays", Acta Geotechnica, Vol.9, pp.227-240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11440-013-0217-8
- Hicher, P. Y., Wahyudi, H., and Tessier, D. (1994), "Microstructural Analysis of Strain Localisation in Clay", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.16, pp.205-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/0266-352X(94)90002-7
- Jang, D. J. and Frost, J. D. (2000), "Use of Image Analysis to Study the Microstructure of a Failed Sand Specimen", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.37, pp.1141-1149. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-031
- Jang, E. R., Chung, C. K., and Choo, Y. S. (2011), "Estimation of Spatial Deformation in Granular Soil Specimens by Plane Strain Test with Digital Image Analysis", Proceedings of the Twenty-first International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, pp.397-404.
- Kim, J. Y., Jang, E. R., Yune, C. Y., and Chung, C. K. (2011), "Internal Deformation of Soil during Consolidation in Radial Drainage Condition", International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, pp.1144-1149.
- Lin, H. and Penumadu, D. (2006), "Strain Localization in Combined Axial Torsional Testing on Kaolin Clay", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol.132, No.5, pp.555-564. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:5(555)
- Oda, M. and Kazama, H. (1998), "Microstructure of Shear Bands and its Relation to the Mechanisms of Dilatancy and Failure of Dense Granular Soils", Geotechnique, Vol.48, No.4, pp.465-481. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.525
- Peters, J., Lade, P., and Bro, A. (1988), "Shear Band Formation in Triaxial and Planes Strain Tests", Advanced triaxial testing of soil and rock, ASTM, STP977.
- Rhee, Y. (1991), "Experimental Evaluation of Strain-softening behavior of Normally Consolidated Chicago Clays in Plane Strain Compression", Ph.D. Dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- Roscoe, K. H. (1970), "The Influence of Strains in Soil Mechanics", Geotechnique, Vol.20, No.2, pp.129-170. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19184.108.40.206
- Saada, A. S., Bianchini, G. F., and Liang, L. (1994), "Cracks, Bifurcationand Shear Bands Propagation in Saturated Clays", Geotechnique, Vol.44, No.1, pp.35-64. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19220.127.116.11
- Wong, R. C. K. (2000), "Shear Deformation of Locked Sand in Triaxial Compression", Geotechnical Testing Journal, GTJODJ, Vol.23, No.2, pp.158-170. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ11040J
- White, D. J. and Take, W. A. (2003), "GeoPIV: Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) Software for Use in Geotechnical Testing", Technical Report, Cambridge University Department of Engineering, Cambridge, UK.
- White, D. J., Take, W. A., and Bolton, M. D. (2003), "Soil Deformation Measurement Using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) and Photogrammetry", Geotechnique, Vol.53, No.7, pp.619-631. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2003.53.7.619
- Kim, J. Y., Jang, E. R., and Chung, C. K. (2011), "Evaluation of Accuracy and Optimization of Digital Image Analysis Technique for Measuring Deformation of Soils", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.27, No.7, pp.5-16.
- Jang, E. R., Jung, Y. H., and Chung, C. K. (2009), "An Optimal Digital Image Analysis Technique for Measuring Deformation of Granular Soils", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.25, No.12, pp.119-130.
- Jang, E. R., Jung, Y. H., Kim, J. Y., and Chung, C. K. (2011), "Assessment of Shear Band Characteristics in Granular Soils Using Digital Image Analysis for Plane Strain Tests", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.27, No.4, pp.51-65.
- Alshibli, K. A. and Sture, S. (1999), "Sand Shear Band Thickness Measurements by Digital Imaging Techniques", Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol.13, No.2, pp.103-109. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(1999)13:2(103)
- Alshibli, K. A., Batiste, S. N., and Sture, S. (2003), "Strain Localization in Sand: Plane Strain vs. Triaxial Compression", ASCE, Journal of Geotechnical & Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.129, No.6, pp.1-12. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:1(1)
- Alshibli, K., Godbold, D. L., and Hoffman, K. (2004), "Strain Localization in Clay: Plane Strain versus Triaxial Loading Conditions", Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol.27, No.4, pp.337-346.
- Alshibli, K. A. and Akbas, I. S. (2007), "Sand Shear Band Thickness Measurements by Digital Imaging Techniques", Geotechnical & Geological Engineering, Vol.25, pp.45-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-006-0005-4
- Arthur, J. R. F., Dunston, T., Al-Ani., Q. A. J., and Assadi. A. (1977), "Plastic Deformation and Failure in Granular Media", Geotechnique, Vol.27, No.1, pp.53-74 https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.168
- Callisto, L. and Calabresi, G. (1998), "Mechanical Behaviour of Natural Soft Clay", Geotechnique, Vol.48, No.4, pp.495-513. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.1245
- Desreus, J., Chambon, M., Mokni, and Mazerolle, F. (1996), "Void Ratio Evolution Inside Shear Bands in Triaxial Sand Specimens Studied by Computed Tomography", Geotechnique, Vol.46, No.3, pp.529-546. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19126.96.36.1999
- Finno, R. J., Harris, W. W., Mooney, M. A., and Viggiani, G. (1997), "Shear Bands in Plane Strain Compression of Loose sand", Geotechnique, Vol.47, No.1, pp.149-165. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.52
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)