- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Real-Time Flight Testing for Developing an Autonomous Indoor Navigation System for a Multi-Rotor Flying Vehicle
실내 자율비행 멀티로터 비행체를 위한 실시간 비행시험 연구
- Kim, Hyeon (CAMTIC Advanced Mechatronics Technology Institute for Commercialization) ;
- Lee, Deok Jin (School of Mechanical Automotive Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2015.09.01
- Accepted : 2015.11.27
- Published : 2016.04.01
A multi-rotor vehicle is an unmanned vehicle consisting of multiple rotors. A multi-rotor vehicle can be categorized as tri-, quad-, hexa-, and octo-rotor depending on the number of the rotors. Multi-rotor vehicles have many advantages due to their agile flight capabilities such as the ability for vertical take-off, landing and hovering. Thus, they can be widely used for various applications including surveillance and monitoring in urban areas. Since multi-rotors are subject to uncertain environments and disturbances, it is required to implement robust attitude stabilization and flight control techniques to compensate for this uncertainty. In this research, an advanced nonlinear control algorithm, i.e. sliding mode control, was implemented. Flight experiments were carried out using an onboard flight control computer and various real-time autonomous attitude adjustments. The feasibility and robustness for flying in uncertain environments were also verified through real-time tests based on disturbances to the multi-rotor vehicle.
Quad-rotor;Nonlinear Control;Robust Control;Real-Time Flight Experiment
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Schoenwald, D. A., 2000, "AUVs: in Space, Air, Water, and on the Ground," IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 15-18.
- Lee, D. J., Kaminer, I., Dobrokhodov, V. and Jones, K., 2010, "Autonomous Feature Following for Visual Surveillance Using a Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicle with Gimbaled Camera System," International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 957-966. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-010-0504-1
- Lee, D. J. and Andersson, K., 2011, "Hybrid Control of Long-Endurance Aerial Robotic Vehicles for Wireless Sensor Networks," International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 1-13. https://doi.org/10.5772/10531
- Bouabdalla, S., 2007, "Design and Control of Quadrotors with Application to Autonomous Flying," EPFL, Ph.D. Dissertation.
- Kim, H., Jeong, H. S., Chong, K. T. and Lee, D. J., 2014, "Dynamic Modelling and Control Techniques for Multi-rotor Flying Robots," Trans Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 137-148. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.2.137
- Bouabdalla, S. and Siegware, R., 2007, "Full Control of a Quadrotor," IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, California.
- Bouabdalla, S., Noth A. and Siegware, R., 2004, "PID vs LQ Control Techniques Applied to an Indoor Micro Quadrotor," Intelligent Robot and System, Vol. 3, pp. 2451-2456.
- Bouabdalla, S. and Siegware, R., 2005, "Backstepping and Sliding-mode Control Techniques Applied to an Indoor Micro Quadrotor," Robotics and Automation, ICRA 2005. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on, pp. 2247-2252.
- Hoffmann, G., Haung, H., Waslander, S. L. and Tomlin, C. J., 2007, "Quadrotor Helicopter Flight Dynamics and Control : Theory and Experiment," AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, South Carolina.
- Pounds, P., 2007, "Design, Construction and Control of a Large Quadrotor Micro Air Vehicle," ANU, Ph.D. Dissertation
- Cutler, M., Kemal, N., Bernard, U., Jonathan, M. and How, P., 2011, "Comparison of Fixed and Variable Pitch Actuators for Agile Quadrotors," AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference.
- Kushleyev, A., Mellinger, D., Powers, C. and Kumar, V., 2013, "Towards a Swarm of Agile Micro Quadrotors," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 287-300. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10514-013-9349-9
- Grzonka, S., Grisetti, G. and Burgard, W., 2011, "a Fully Autonomous Indoor Quadrotor," IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol. 28, No. 1.
- Tomic, T., Schmid, K., Lutz, P., D€omel, A., Kassecker, M., Mair, E., Grixa, I. L, Ruess, F., Suppa, M. and Burschka, D., 2012, "Toward a Fully Autonomous UAV - Research platform for Indoor and Outdoor Urban Search and Rescue," Robotics & Automation Magazine, IEEE, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 46-56. https://doi.org/10.1109/MRA.2012.2206473
- Beard, R. W. and McLain, T. W., 2012, "Small Unmanned Aircraft: Theory and Practice," Princeton University Press, New Jersey, USA.
- Ansu, M. S., Lee, D. J, Hong, D. P. and Chong, K. T., 2013, "Successive Loop Closure Based Controller Design for an Autonomous Quadrotor Vehicle," Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 483, pp. 361-367. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.483.361
- Lee, H. B., Moon S. W., Kim, W. J. and Kim, H. J., 2013, "Cooperative Surveillance and Boundary Tracking with Multiple Quadrotor UAVs," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 423-428. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2013.13.9006
- Cho, D. H., Moon, S. T., Jang, J. T. and Rew, D. Y., 2014, "Collision Avoidance Maneuver Design for the Multiple Indoor UAV by using AR. Drone," Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 42, No. 9, pp.752-761. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2014.42.9.752
- Kang, T. S., Yoon, K. J., Ha, T. H. and Lee, G. G., 2015, "H-infinity Control System Design for a Quadrotor," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 14-20. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.14.9054
- VICON, Available : http://www.vicon.com/
- Ascending Technology, Available : http://www.asctec.de/