- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Dynamic Thrust Under Wind Shear in Wind Turbine Below Rated Wind Speed
정격풍속 이하에서 풍력터빈의 윈드쉬어 추력 동하중 개발
- Lim, Chae-Wook (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanbat Nat'l Univ.)
- 임채욱 (한밭대학교 기계공학과)
- Received : 2015.10.06
- Accepted : 2016.03.02
- Published : 2016.04.01
As wind turbines are getting larger in size with multi-MW capacity, the blades are getting longer, over 40 m, and hence the asymmetric loads produced during the rotation of the rotor blades are increasing. Some factors such as wind shear, tower shadow, and turbulence have an effect on the asymmetric loads on the blades. This paper focuses on a method of modeling the dynamic load acting on a blade because of thrust variation under wind shear. A method that uses thrust coefficient is presented. For this purpose, "wind shear coefficient of thrust variation" is defined and introduced. Further, we calculate the values of the "wind shear coefficient of thrust variation" for a 2 MW on-shore wind turbine, and analyze them for speeds below the rated wind speed. Then, we implement a dynamic model that represents the thrust variation under wind shear on a blade, using MATLAB/Simulink. It is shown that it is possible to express thrust variations on three blades under wind shear by using both thrust coefficient and "wind shear coefficient of thrust variation."
Wind Turbine;Blade;Wind Shear;Thrust Coefficient;Coefficient of Thrust Variation
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Hau, E., 2013, Wind Turbines: Fundamentals, Technologies, Application, Economics, Third Translated Edition, Springer-Verlag.
- Yaramasu, V., Wu, B., Sen, P. C., Kouro, S. and Narimani, M., 2015, "High-Power Wind Energy Conversion Systems: State-of-the-Art and Emerging Technologies," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 5, pp. 740-788. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2014.2378692
- Kaldellis, J. K. and Zafirakis, D., 2011, "The Wind Energy (R)Evolution: A Short Review of a Long History," Renewable Energy, Vol. 36, No. 7, pp. 1887-1901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.01.002
- Maria, I. B., 2009, "The Economics of Wind Energy," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, pp. 1372-1382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2008.09.004
- Burton, T., Jenkins, N., Sharpe, D. and Bossanyi, E., 2011, Wind Energy Handbook, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Manwell, J. F., Mcgowan, J. G. and Rogers, A. L., 2009, Wind Energy Explained: Theory, Design and Application, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Bianchi, F. D., Battista, H. D. and Mantz, R. J., 2007, Wind Turbine Control Systems: Principles, Modelling and Gain Scheduling Design, Springer-Verlag.
- Bossanyi, E. A., 2003, "Individual Blade Pitch Control for Load Reduction," Wind Energy, Vol. 6, pp. 119-128. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.76
- Selvam, K., Kanev, S., van Wingerden, J. W. and van Engelen, T., 2009, "Feedback-Feedforward Individual Pitch Control for Wind Turbine Load Reduction," International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 19, pp. 72-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/rnc.1324
- La, Y. H., Nam, Y. S. and Hoon, S. J., 2012, "Individual Pitch Control of NREL 5MW Wind Turbine Blade for Load Reduction," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 11, pp. 1427-1432. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.11.1427
- Nam, Y. and Choi, H., 2010, "Mechanical Loads Analysis and Control of a MW Wind Turbine," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 9, pp. 26-33.
- Hau, E., Langenbrinck, J. and Palz, W., 1993, WEGA Large Wind Turbines, Springer-Verlag.
- Staino, A., Basu, B. and Nielsen, S. R. K., 2012, "Actuator Control of Edgewise Vibrations in Wind Turbine Blades," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 331, pp. 1233-1256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2011.11.003
- Bang, J. S., Han, J. W. and Gil, K., 2013, "Development of Programs to Analyze Mechanical Load Data of Wind Turbine Generator Systems and Case Studies on Simulation Data," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 37, No. 8, pp. 789-798. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2013.37.8.789
- Bossanyi, E. A., 2009, GH Bladed Version 3.82 User Manual.
- Lim, C. W. and Seo, K Y., 2010, "Comparison of Response Properties Determined in Two Torque Control Methods for a 2.75-MW Wind Turbine Under Turbulence Wind Speed," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, pp. 1885-1891. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.12.1885