- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of Innovative Light Water Reactor Nuclear Fuel Using 3D Printing Technology
3 차원 프린팅 기술을 이용한 신개념 경수로 핵연료 기술 개발에 관한 연구
Kim, Hyo Chan;Kim, Hyun Gil;Yang, Yong Sik
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.04.01
To enhance the safety of nuclear reactors after the Fukushima accident, researchers are developing various types of accident tolerant fuel (ATF) to increase the coping time and reduce the generation of hydrogen by oxidation. Coated cladding, an ATF concept, can be a promising technology in view of its commercialization. We applied 3D printing technology to the fabrication of coated cladding as well as of coated pellets. Direct metal tooling (DMT) in 3D printing technologies can create a coated layer on the tubular cladding surface, which maintains stability during corrosion, creep, and wear in the reactor. A 3D laser coating apparatus was built, and parameter studies were carried out. To coat pellets with erbium using this apparatus, we undertook preliminary experiments involving metal pellets. The adhesion test showed that the coated layer can be maintained at near fracture strength.
Nuclear fuel rod;3D printing technology;Direct metal tooling;Accident tolerant fuel
- Lamarsh, J. R. and Baratta, A. J., "Introduction to Nuclear Engineering," Prentice-Hall, 3rd Ed., 2012.
- Kim, S. W., "Incore Fuel Management," Hyungseul, Vol. 44, No. 22, 2010.
- Stempien, J. D., Carpenter, D. M., Kohse, G., and Kazimi, M. S., "Characteristics of Composite Silicon Carbide Fuel Cladding after Irradiation under Simulated PWR Conditions," Nuclear Technology, Vol. 183, No. 1, pp. 13-29, 2013. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT12-86
- Idarraga-Trujillo, I., Le Flem, M., Brachet, J.-C., Lesaux, M., Hamon, D., et al., "Assessment at CEA of Coated Nuclear Fuel Cladding for LWRs with Increased Margins in LOCA and Beyond LOCA Conditions," Proc. of LWR Fuel Performance Meeting/TopFuel, pp. 860-867, 2013.
- Nieuwenhove, R. V., Daub, K., and Nordin, H., "Investigation of the Impact of Coatings on Corrosion and Hydrogen Uptake of Nuclear Components," Proc. of NUMAT, DOI No. 10.1016/j.jnucmat.2015.09.041, 2014.
- Bragg-Sitton, S., "Development of Advanced Accident-Tolerant Fuels for Commercial LWRs," Nuclear News, pp. 83-91, 2014.
- Al-Olayyan, Y., Fuchs, G. E., Baney, R., and Tulenko, J., "The Effect of Zircaloy-4 Substrate Surface Condition on the Adhesion Strength and Corrosion of SiC Coatings," Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 346, No. 2-3, pp. 109-119, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2005.05.016
- Brachet, J. C., Olier, P., Vandenberghe, V., Urvoy, S., Hamon, D., et al., "Microstructure and Properties of a 3-Layers Nuclear Fuel Cladding Prototype Containing Erbium as a Neutronic Burnable Poison," Proc. of 17th International Symposium on Zirconium in the Nuclear Industry, 2013.
- Kim, H. C., Park, S. H., and Yang, D. Y., "Principle and Recent Trend of Rapid Prototyping Technology," Transactions of Materials Processing, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 187-199, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2005.14.3.187
- Wekipedia, "Selective Laser Sintering," https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_laser_sintering (Accessed 25 March 2016)
- Kim, H. G., Kim, I. H., Jung, Y. I., Park, D. J., Park, J. Y., et al., "High-Temperature Oxidation Behavior of Cr-Coated Zirconium Alloy," Proc. of LWR Fuel Performance Meeting/TopFuel, pp. 842-846, 2013.
- Kim, H. G., Kim, I. H., Jung, Y. I., Park, D. J., Park, J. Y., et al., "Adhesion Property and High-Temperature Oxidation Behavior of Cr-Coated Zircaloy-4 Cladding Tube Prepared by 3D Laser Coating," Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 465, pp. 531-539, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2015.06.030
- Hu, X., Terrani, K. A., Wirth, B. D., and Snead, L. L., "Hydrogen Permeation in FeCrAl Alloys for LWR Cladding Application," Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 461, pp. 282-291, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2015.02.040
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)