- Volume 33 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Conditions of Incremental Hot Rotary Forging Process for Monobloc Tubular Drive Shaft
일체형 중공 드라이브 샤프트 제작을 위한 점진적 열간 로터리 단조 공정 조건 예측
Lee, Ho-Jin;Guk, Dae-Sun;Ahn, Dong-Gyu;Jung, Jong-Hoon;Seol, Sang-Suk
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.02
- Published : 2016.04.01
A monobloc tubular drive shaft is designed to obtain the improved structural safety and the weight reduction of the drive shaft together. The monobloc tubular drive shaft can be manufactured from an incremental hot rotary forging process. The aim of this study was to experimentally determine conditions of an incremental hot rotary forging process for a monobloc tubular drive shaft. Induction heating experiments were performed to estimate a proper heating time of an initial workpiece in an induction heating process. Several incremental hot rotary forging experiments were carried out using a mechanical press with the designed set-up. The step distance and the step angle were chosen as controllable forming parameters. Based on the results of the experiments, the influence of forming parameters on the quality of the forged part was investigated. Finally, a forming map and a proper forming condition of the incremental hot rotary forging process were estimated.
Monobloc tubular drive shaft;Incremental hot rotary forging;Heating time;Forming conditions
- Amborn, P., Frielingsdorf, H., Ghosh, S., and Greulich, K., "From Metal Cutting to Metal Forming Modern Side-Shafts for Passenger Cars: Manufacturing Aspect," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 3-12, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(94)01627-D
- Lim, S., Lee, N., Na, K., and Lee, C., "Performance Characteristics of the Automotive TDS (Tube Drive Shaft) by the Rotary Swaging Process," Transactions of Materials Processing, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 654-661, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2003.12.7.654
- Ayrakceken, H., Tasgetiren, S., and Yavuz, I., "Two Case of Failure in the Power Transmission System on Vehicles: A Universal Joint Yoke and a Drive Shaft," Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 716-724, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2006.03.003
- Guk, D. S., Ahn, D. G., Lee, H. J., and Jung, J. H., "Investigation of Structural Safety of a Monobloc Tubular Drive Shaft Subjected to Torque," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 32, No. 12, pp. 1073-1080, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.32.12.1073
- Amborn, U., Ghosh, S., and Leadbetter, I., "Modern Side-Shafts for Passenger Cars: Manufacturing Processes II-Monobloc Tube Shafts," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 225-232, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(96)02746-X
- Oh, T. W., Yu, T. I., and Hyun, D. H., "A Study on the Rotary Swaging Machine and Process Development of Automotive Tubular Drive Shaft," Proc. of Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers Autumn Conference, pp. 344-350, 2003.
- Kim, S., Kwon, Y., Lee, Y., and Lee, J., "Design of Mandrel in Tube Drawing Process for Automotive Steering Input Shaft," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vols. 187-188, pp. 182-186, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.11.134
- Amborn, P., Frielingsdorf, H., Ghosh, S., and Greulich, K., "Modern Side-Shafts for Passenger Cars: Manufacturing Process I," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 13-24, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(94)01628-E
- Kim, W. K., Ko, J. B., and Kim, H. B., "A Study on the Design on the Tubular Drive Shaft," Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 7-12, 2009.
- Lim, S.-J., Choi, H.-J., and Lee, C.-H., "Forming Characteristics of Tubular Product through the Rotary Swaging Process," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 209, No. 1, pp. 283-288, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.08.086
- Schmieder, F. and Kettner, P., "Manufacturing of Hollow Transmission Shafts via Bulk-Metal Forming," Journal of Material Processing Technology, Vol. 71, No. 1, pp. 113-118, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(97)00156-8
- Lim, S., Lee, N., Oh, T., and Lee, C., "Forming Process of the Automotive TDS (Tube Drive Shaft) by the Rotary Swaging Process," Transactions of Materials Processing, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 558-565, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2003.12.6.558
- Lee, S., Ko, D., Kim, B., Lee, J., Kim, S., et al., "A Study on Monobloc Tube Drawing for Steering Input Shaft," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 191, No. 1, pp. 55-58, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.03.062
- Semiatin, S. L., "ASM Handbook Volume 14A: Metalworking: Bulk Forming," ASM International, pp. 241-243, 2009.
Supported by : 한국산업단지공단