- Volume 20 Issue 3
The software defined networks implement a software network control plane, which is physically separated from the data plane. For wide area software defined network deployments, multiple controllers are required, and the placement of these controllers influences importantly the performance of the software defined networks. This paper proposes a Tabu search algorithm, which is one of the meta heuristic algorithms, for an efficient controller placement in software defined networks. In order to efficiently obtain better results, we propose new neighborhood generating operations, which are called the neighbor position move and the neighbor number move, of the Tabu search algorithm. We evaluate the performances of the proposed algorithm through some experiments in terms of the minimum latency and the execution time of the proposed algorithm. The comparison results show that the proposed algorithm outperforms the existing genetic algorithm and random method under various conditions.
software defined networks;controller placement;Tabu search;latency
- B. Heller, R. Sherwood, and N. McKeown, "The controller placement problem," In Proceedings of the first workshop on Hot topics in software defined networks, pp. 7-12, 2012.
- H. Yan-nan, W. Wen-dong, G. Xiang-yang, Q. Xi-rong, and C. Shi-duan, "On the placement of controllers in softwaredefined networks," The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, vol. 19, pp. 92-97, Oct. 2012.
- F. Glover, "Future paths for integer programming and links to artificial intelligence," Computers and Op. Res., vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 533-549, May 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0548(86)90048-1
- T. Koponen, M. Casado, N. Gude, et al., "Onix: a distributed control platform for large-scale production networks," in Proceedings of 9th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- A. Tootoonchian, S. Gorbunov, Y. Ganjali, et al., "On controller performance in software-defined networks," in Proceedings of 2nd USENIX Workshop on Hot Topics in Management of Internet, Cloud, and Enterprise Networks and Services, pp. 10-15, 2012.
- Z. Cai, L. A. Cox, and E. T. Ng, "Maestro: a system for scalable OpenFlow control," Techincal Report. TR10-11, Department of Computer Science: Rice University. 2010.
- M. Canini, D. Venzano, P. Peresini, et al., "A nice way to test OpenFlow applications," in Proceedings of 9th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 127-140, 2012.
- M. Bouet, J. Leguay, and V. Conan, "Cost-based placement of virtualized deep packet inspection funcitons in SDN," in Proceedings of Military Communications Conference, pp. 992-997, 2013.
- M. F. Bari, A. R. Roy, S. R. Chowdury, Q. Zhang, M. F.Zhani, R. Ahmed, and R. Boutaba, " Dynamic controller provisioning in software defined networks," In Proceedings of Network and Service Management, pp. 18-25, 2013.