- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance Comparison of Wave Information Retrieval Algorithms Based on 3D Image Analysis Using VTS Sensor
VTS 센서를 이용한 3D영상 분석에 기초한 파랑 정보 추출 알고리즘 성능 비교
Ryu, Joong-seon;Lim, Dong-hee;Kim, Jin-soo;Lee, Byung-Gil
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2016.03.31
As marine accidents happen frequently, it is required to establish a marine traffic monitoring system, which is designed to improve the safety and efficiency of navigation in VTS (Vessel Traffic Service). For this aim, recently, X-band marine radar is used for extracting the sea surface information and, it is necessary to retrieve wave information correctly and provide for the safe and efficient movement of vessel traffic within the VTS area. In this paper, three different current estimation algorithms including the classical least-squares (LS) fitting, a modified iterative least-square fitting routine and a normalized scalar product of variable current velocities are compared with buoy data and then, the iterative least-square method is modified to estimate wave information by improving the initial current velocity. Through several simulations with radar signals, it is shown that the proposed method is effective in retrieving the wave information compared to the conventional methods.
VTS(Vessel Traffic Service);Current Velocity;Wave Detection Algorithm
- I. R. Young, W. Rosenthal, and F. Ziemer, "A Threedimensional Analysis of Marine Radar Images for the Determination of Ocean Wave Directionality and Surface Current," J. Geophy. Res., vol. 90(C1), pp. 1049-1059, Jan. 1985. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC090iC01p01049
- R. Gangeskar, "Ocean Current Estimated From X-Band Radar Sea Surface Images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 783-792, April 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2002.1006346
- F. Serafino, C. Lugni, and F. Soldovieri, "A Novel Strategy for the Surface Current Determination from Marine X-Band Radar Data," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 231-235, April 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/LGRS.2009.2031878
- C.M. Senet, J. Seemann, and F. Ziemer, "The Near Surface Current Velocity Determined from Image Sequences of the Sea Surface," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 492-505, March 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/36.911108
- W. Huang and E. Gill, "Simulation Analysis of Sea Surface Current Extraction from Microwave Nautical Radar Images," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Orlando, USA, Sept. 2012.
- J. Kim and B. Lee, "Wave Information Retrieval Algorithm based on Iterative Refinement," Journal of the Korea Industrial Information System Society, vol. 21, no. 1, pp.7-15, Feb. 2015.
- Wave Information Estimation and Revision Using Linear Regression Model vol.19, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2016.19.8.1377
Grant : Development of next generation VTS for maritime safety
Supported by : KIMST