- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance analysis of the optical displacement sensor for accurate in-plane motion measurement
정확한 평면운동 측정을 위한 광 변위센서의 성능분석
Kang, Hoon;Lee, Hunseok;Oh, Jin-Seok
- Received : 2015.12.17
- Accepted : 2016.01.21
- Published : 2016.03.31
In this study, the contactless measurement method with a optical displacement sensor(ODS, ADNS 9500) was proposed to overcome flaws in a rotary encoder based measurement under particular circumstances, such as a slippage and a case of little rotational inertia. The performance tests of the optical displacement sensor using data acquisition board and National Instruments's LabVIEW program were performed to accomplish accurate displacement measurements and the performance characteristics according to measurement direction, speed, acceleration, height and surface types were discovered through the repetitive tests. The experimental results indicate that, in order to get an accurate in-plane motion, the height(distance between the ODS and the target surface) has to be maintained at the range of 2.4 mm to 3.2 mm and the sensitivity(resolution) should be modified and applied to the formulae for displacement calculation, considering its measurement direction, speed and surface type.
Optical displacement sensor;Optical mouse sensor;Contactless displacement measurement;Sensitivity
- J. Palacin, I. Valganon, and R. Pernia, "The optical mouse for indoor mobile robot odometry measurement," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 141-147, Sep. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2005.09.015
- N. Tunwattana, A.P. Roskilly, and R. Norman, "Investigations into the effect of illumination and acceleration on optical mouse sensors as contact-free 2D measurement devices," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 87-92, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2008.10.016
- N. N. A. Charniya, and S. V. Dudul, "Simple low-cost system for thickness measurement of metallic plates using laser mouse navigation sensor," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2700-2705, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2010.2045555
- M. Tresanchez, T. Palleja, M. Teixido, and J. Palacin, "The optical mouse sensor as an incremental rotary encoder," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 73-81, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2009.08.003
- M. Tresanchez, T. Palleja, M. Teixido, and J. Palacin, "Using the image acquisition capabilities of the optical mouse sensor to build an absolute rotary encoder," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 161-167, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2009.12.023
- T. W. Ng, "The optical mouse as a two-dimensional displacement sensor," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 21-25, July 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(03)00256-5
- U. Minoni, and A. Signorini, "Low-cost optical motion sensors: An experimental characterization," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 402-408, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2006.01.034
- X. Wang, and K. Shida, "Optical mouse sensor for detecting height variation and translation of a surface," IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology, Chengdu, pp. 21-24, 2008.
- A. Bonarini, M. Matteucci, and M. Restelli, "Automatic error detection and reduction for an odometric sensor based on two optical mice," Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE Internation Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1675-1680, Apr. 2005.
- D. J. Hyun, H. S. Yang, H. R. Park and H. S. Park, "Differential optical navigation sensor for mobile robots," Sensors and Actuators-A Physical, vol. 156, no. 2, pp. 296-301. Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2009.10.007
- J. D. Jackson, D. W. Callahan, and J. Marstrander, "A rationale for the use of optical mice chips for economic and accurate vehicle tracking," Proceedings of the 3rd Annual IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, Scottsdale(Arizona), pp. 489-498, Sep. 2007.
- J. Ziz ka, A. Olwal, and R. Raskar, "SpeckleSense: fast, precise, low-cost and compact motion sensing using laser speckle," Proceedings of the 24th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 489-498, Oct. 2011.
Grant : 산업계연계형
Supported by : 한국생산기술연구원