- Volume 20 Issue 3
North Korea has various ballistic missiles from short range to long range such as inter continental ballistic missiles. Short range ballistic missiles such as SCUD series are threatening to Korea peninsula. Therefore Korea is constructing various missile defense systems to protect country. Parameters influencing the received power from the target to the radar are transmitting power, antenna gain, carrier frequency, RCS(Radar Cross Section) of target and distance from radar to target. Especially, RCS and distance from target are not radar performance defined parameters but external parameters. Therefore radar deployment position that large RCS can be observed and target to radar distance should be considered in parallel to improve target detection probability. In this paper, RCS pattern of SCUD-B ballistic missile is calculated, received power is analyzed based on radar deployment position during ballistic missile trajectory and methode for optimum radar deployment position to improve target detection probability is suggested.
Ballistic Missile;Ballistic Missile Defense System;KAMD;Radar Position
- Heung Seob Kim, Ki Tae Kim, Geonwook Jeon, "A requirement assessment algorithm for antiballistic missile considering ballistic missile's flight characteristics," Journal of the Korea Institute of Military Science and Technology, vol.14, no.6, pp. 1009-1017, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.9766/KIMST.2011.14.6.1009
- Charalampos Fougias, Charalampos Menychtas, "Netted LPI Radars," M.S. thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 2011.
- Tae-Yong Park, Yura Lee, "A Study on Radar Received Power based on Target Observing Position," Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol.18, no.12, pp. 3063-3068, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2014.18.12.3063
- "Ballistic & Cruise Missile Threat," National Air and Space Intelligence Center(NASIC), Write-Patterson AFB, OH, Survey Report NASIC-1031-0985-13, 2013.
- Tae-Yong Park, Jae-Sung Lim, "RCS of Ballistic Missile Based on Radar Position," Journal of the Korean Institute of Communication and Information Sciences, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 209-216, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2015.40.1.209
- Ballistic Missile Defense : The Aegis SPY-1Radar(August 3, 2012)[Internet]. Available : http://mostlymissiledefense.com/2012/08/03/ballistic-missile-defense-the-aegis-spy-1-radaraugust-3-2012/
Supported by : Howon University