- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Two Cases of Korean Medical Treatments of Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss without Corticosteroid Treatments
부신피질호르몬제제 치료를 받지 않은 돌발성 난청 환자 한방치험 2례
Son, Jae-Woong;Kim, Min-Hee;Ko, Seong-Gyu;Choi, In-Hwa
- Received : 2015.12.22
- Accepted : 2016.02.10
- Published : 2016.02.25
Objective : The purpose of this study is to know the effect of Korean medical treatments on sudden sensorineural hearing loss(SSNHL) without systemic or intratympanic steroid treatments.Method : We conducted retrospective review who was diagnosed as SSNHL and treated with Korean medicine in Dept. of Otolaryngology Kyung Hee University Hospital at Gangdong. There were two patients with SSNHL who refused to be treated with western medicine and were treated with Korean medicine including acupuncture, moxibustion, and herbal medicine.Result : One patient recovered completely after eight days of admission, and another patient partial recovered during 30 days through Korean medical treatments.Conclusion : Through these studies, SSNHL is expected to treated more effectively by conventional Korean medical treatments than corticosteroid treatments alone. But the additional study is needed to reveal the exact effects of Korean medical treatments.
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss;Korean medicine;Acupuncture;Herbal medicine
- Korean Society of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Otorhinolaryngology. Seoul:Ilchokak. 2005;54, 150-3.
- Chau JK, Lin JR, Atashband S, Irvine RA, Westerberg BD. Systematic review of the evidence for the etiology of adult sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Laryngoscope. 2010;120(5):1011-21.
- Yoon TH, Paparella MM, Schachern PA, Alleva M. Histopathology of sudden hearing loss. Laryngoscope. 1990;100:707-15. https://doi.org/10.1288/00005537-199007000-00006
- Yu HJ, Hong SU. Three cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss with marked or complete recovery. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2006;19(2):263-71.
- Chen CY, Halpin C, Rauch SD. Oral steroid treatment of sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a ten year retrospective analysis. Otol Neurotol. 2003;24(5):728-33. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129492-200309000-00006
- Slattery WH, Fisher LM, Iqbal Z, Liu N. Oral steroid regimens for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;132(1):5-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2004.09.072
- Kang WS, Kim YH, Park KH, Seo MW, Son EJ, Yoo SY, et al. Treatment strategy for sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Korean J Otorhinolaryngol-Head Neck Surg. 2011;54(10):675-82. https://doi.org/10.3342/kjorl-hns.2011.54.10.675
- Chun SC, Jo SH, Jee SY. Two cases of sudden deafness treated with herbal acupuncture therapy. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2003;16(1):206-13.
- Yoon HS, Lee SE, Han EJ, Kim YB. Six cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2003;16(2):221-43.
- Han JM, Jang IU, Yoon HJ, Ko WS. A case of Korean medical treatment of sudden hearing loss with severe vertigo. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2013;26(2):98-108. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2013.26.2.098
- Clark JG. Uses and abuses of hearing loss classification. ASHA. 1981;23:493–500.
- Siegel LG. The treatment of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1975;8(2):467-73.
- Alexander TH, Harris JP. Incidence of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otol Neurotol. 2013;34:1586-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/MAO.0000000000000222
- Heo J. Dongeuibogam. Seoul:Bubinmunhwasa. 2007:657-60.
- Ko YS, Park TY, Kong JC, Oh WK, Song YS, Shin BC. The Safety of Cervical Chuna Manipulation; Mechanism, Adverse Reactions and Cases Report. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2006;16(4):83-95.
- Steenerson RL, Cronin GW. Treatment of tinnitus with electrical stimulation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1999;121(5):511-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0194-5998(99)70048-3
- Koc A, Sanisoglu O. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss: literature survey on recent studies. J Otolaryngol. 2003;32:308-13. https://doi.org/10.2310/7070.2003.11288
- Wei BP, Stathopoulos D, O’Leary S. Steroids for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;7:CD003998.
- Conlin AE, Parnes LS. Treatment of sudden sensorineural hearing loss: II. A Meta-analysis. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;133:582-6. https://doi.org/10.1001/archotol.133.6.582
- Rauch SD, Halpin CF, Antonelli PJ, Babu S, Carey JP, Gantz BJ, et al. Oral vs intratympanic corticosteroid therapy for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2011;305:2071-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.679
- Nam HJ. Oriental medical therapy for sudden sensorineural hearing loss. J Korean Oriental Med. 2009;30(4):169-78.
- Nanbin H, Changwei L. Acupuncture in treating sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a report of 2 cases. Forsch Komplementmed. 2014;21:246-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000365982
Grant : 한의약 근거창출 임상연구
Supported by : 경희대학교산학협력단