- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Face Recognition using High-order Local Pattern Descriptor and DCT-based Illuminant Compensation
DCT 기반의 조명 보정과 고차 지역 패턴 서술자를 이용한 얼굴 인식
- Received : 2015.08.07
- Accepted : 2015.12.08
- Published : 2016.01.30
This paper presents a method of DCT-based illuminant compensation to enhance the accuracy of face recognition under an illuminant change. The basis of the proposed method is that the illuminant is generally located in low-frequency components in the DCT domain. Therefore, the effect of the illuminant can be compensated by controlling the low-frequency components. Moreover, a directional high-order local pattern descriptor is used to detect robust features in the case of face motion. Experiments confirm the performance of the proposed algorithm got up to 95% when tested using a real database.
Face recognition;Discrete Cosine Transform(DCT);Local Pattern Descriptor(LPD)
- P. N. Belhumeur, J. P. Hespanha, and D. J. Kriegman, “Eigenfaces versus Fisherfaces: recognition using class specific linear projection,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 711-720, Jul. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.598228
- M. A. Turk and A. P. Pentland, “Eigenfaces for Recognition,” J. Cog. Neurosci., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 71-86, Mar. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1162/jocn.19220.127.116.11
- D. Gabor, “Theory of communication,” J.Inst. Elect. Eng., vol. 93, no. 26, pp. 429-457, 1946.
- L. Wiskott, J. M. Fellous, N. Kruger, and C. von der Malsbur, “Face recognition by elastic bunch graph matching,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 775-779, Jul. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.598235
- B. Zhang, Y. Gao, S. Zhao, and J. Liu, “Local Derivative Pattern Versus Local Binary Pattern: Face Recognition WIth High-Order Local Pattern Descriptor,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 19, no. 2, Feb. 2010.
- W. Chen, M. J. Er, and S. Wu, “Illumination compensation and normalization for robust face recognition using Discrete Cosine Transform in logarithm domain,” IEEE Trnas. SMC-B, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 458-466, Apr. 2006.
- S. M. Pizer and E. P. Amburn, “Adaptive histogram equalization and its variations,” Comput. Vis. Graph., Image Process., vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 355-368, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-189X(87)80186-X
- A. S. Georghiades, P. N. Belhumeur, and D. W. Jacobs, “From few to many: illumination cone models for face recognition under variable lighting and pose,” IEEE Trans. Pattern, Anal. Mach. Intell., vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 630-660, Jun. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.927464
- J. Zimmerman, S. Pizer, E. Staab, E. Perry, W. McCartney, and B. Brenton, “Evaluation of the effectiveness of adaptive histogram equalization for contrast enhancement,” IEEE Trnas. Medical Imaging, pp. 304-312, Dec. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.14513
- B. S. Min and T. K. Cho, “A Novel Method of Determining Parameters for Contrast Limited Adaptive Histogram Equalization,” Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1378–1387, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1378
- Y. Adini, Y. Moses, and S. Ullman, “Face recognition: the problem of compensating for changes in illumination direction,” IEEE Trans Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 721–732, Jul. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.598229
- V Asha, N. Bhajantri, and P. Nagabhushan. “GLCM-based chi-square histogram distance for automatic detection of defects on patterned textures,” International Journal of Computational Vision and Robotics, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 302-313, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCVR.2011.045267
- S. Shan, W. Gao, B. Cao, and D. Zhao, "Illumination normalization for robust face recognition against varying lightning conditions," in Proc. IEEE Workshop on AMFG, pp. 157-164, 2003.