- Volume 11 Issue 1
We propose an efficient high voltage level shifter for a high side Buck converter driving a light-emitting diode (LED) lamp. The proposed circuit is comprised of a low voltage pulse width modulation (PWM) signal driver, a coupling capacitor, a resistor, and a diode. The proposed method uses a property of a PWM signal. The property is that the signal repeatedly transits between a low and high level at a certain frequency. A low voltage PWM signal is boosted to a high voltage PWM signal through a coupling capacitor using the property of the PWM signal, and the boosted high voltage PWM signal drives a p-channel metal oxide semiconductor (PMOS) transistor on the high side Buck converter. Experimental results show that the proposed level shifter boosts a low voltage (0 to 20 V) PWM signal at 125 kHz to a high voltage (370 to 380 V) PWM signal with a duty ratio of up to 0.9941.
Level shifter;High side buck converter;Coupling capacitor;DC distribution;LED lighting
- G. S. Seo, K. C. Lee, and B. H. Cho, “A new DC anti-islanding technique of electrolytic capacitor-less photovoltaic interface in DC distribution systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp.1632-1641, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2208226
- D. Dong, I. Cvetkovic, D. Boroyevich, W. Zhang, R. Wang, and P. Mattavelli, "Grid-interface bidirectional converter for residential DC distribution systems - part one: high-density two-state topology," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1655-1666, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2212462
- Y. K. Tan, T. P. Huynh, and Z. Wang, “Smart personal sensor network control for energy saving in DC grid powered LED lighting system,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 669-676, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2219887
- G. S. Seo, B. H. Cho, and K. C. Lee, “DC level dimmable LED driver using DC distribution,” in Proc. ECCE, 15-19 Sep. 2013, pp. 4650-4654.
- S. Matta and S. M. Mahmud, “An intelligent light control system for power saving,” in Proc. IECON, 7-10 Nov. 2010, pp. 3316-3321.
- H. S. Jeong and C. K. Park, “A study on optical losses for tubular LED lamp’s component,” J Korean Inst Illum Electr Install Eng, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1-8, Jul. 2011.
- C. G. Yoon, H. K. Choi, J. Y. Park, Y. J. Song, K. W. Lee, and I. H. Jung, “Analysis tubular LED lamps location of the difference in brightness,” in Proc. Autumn Annual Conference of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, 23 Nov. 2011, pp. 98-101.
- Z. Liu and H. Lee, "A 100V gate driver with sub-nanosecond delay capacitive-coupled level shifting and dynamic timing control for ZVS-based synchronous power converters," in Proc. CICC, 22-25 Sep. 2013, pp. 1-4.
- V. Javadian and S. Kaboli, "Reliability assessment of some high side MOSFET drivers for Buck converter," in Proc. EPECS, 2-4 Oct. 2013, pp. 1-6.
- I. H. Oh, “An analysis of current accuracies in peak and hysteretic current controlled power LED drivers,” in Proc. APEC, 24-28 Feb. 2008, pp. 572-577.
- Y. Moghe, T. Lehmann, and T. Piessens, “Nanosecond delay floating high voltage level shifters in a 0.35 um HV-CMOS technology,” IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 485-497, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2010.2091322
- J. Liu, L. Deng, J. Zaho, and H. Liao, “A 1.8 V to 10 V CMOS level shifter for RFID transponders,” in Proc. ICSICT, 1-4 Nov. 2010, pp. 491-493.
- B. Serneels, M. Steyaert, and W. Dehaene, “A high speed, low voltage to high voltage level shifter in standard 1.2V 0.13um CMOS,” in Proc. ICECS, 10-13 Dec. 2006, pp. 668-671.
- B. Choi, “Enhancement of current driving capability in data driver ICs for plasma display panels,” IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron., vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 992-997, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2009.5278054
- M. Wendt, L. Thoma, B. Wicht, and D. Schmitt-Landsiedel, “A configurable high-side/low-side driver with fast and equalized switching delay,” IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1617-1625, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2008.923734
- T. Lehmann, “Design of fast low-power floating high-voltage level-shifters,” Electronics letters, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 202-204, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2013.2270
- S. C. Tan and X. W. Sun, “Low power CMOS level shifters by bootstrapping technique,” Electronics letters, vol. 38, no. 16, pp. 876-878, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20020627
- M. H. Rashid, Power electronics handbook: devices, circuits, and applications handbook. 3rd ed., Burlington, MA, USA: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2011, pp. 557-558.
- N. Weste and D. Harris, CMOS VLSI Design: A circuits and systems perspective. 3rd ed., Boston, MA, USA: Pearson Education, 2005, pp. 75-80.