- Volume 11 Issue 1
Microgrids offer several reliability benefits, such as the improvement of load-point reliability and the opportunity for reliability-differentiated services. The primary goal of this work is to investigate the impacts of operating condition on the reliability index for microgrid system. It relies on a component failure rate model which quantifies the relationship between component failure rate and state variables. Some parameters involved are characterized by subjective uncertainty. Thus, fuzzy numbers are introduced to represent such parameters, and an optimization model based on Fuzzy Chance Constrained Programming (FCCP) is established for reliability index calculation. In addition, we present a hybrid algorithm which combines scenario enumeration and fuzzy simulation as a solution tool. The simulations in a microgrid test system show that reliability indices without considering operating condition can often prove to be optimistic. We also investigate two groups of situations, which include the different penetration levels of microsource and different confidence levels. The results support the necessity of considering operating condition for achieving accurate reliability evaluation.
Chance constraint programming;Fuzzy number;Microgrid reliability;Microsource;Operating condition;Scenario
- P. M. Costa and M. A. Matos, “Assessing the contribution of microgrids to the reliability of distribution networks,” Elect. Power Syst. Res., vol. 79, no. 2, pp.382-389, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.07.009
- S. Kennedy, "Reliability evaluation of islanded microgrids with stochastic distributed generation," presented at Power Eng. Soc. Gen. Meeting, Calgary, AB, Canada, July 26-30, 2009.
- R. C. Dugan and T. E. McDermott, "Operating conflicts for distributed generation on distribution system," presented at Rural Electric Power Conference, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA, April 29-May 1, 2001.
- Y. Luo, L. J. Wang, G. Zhu, and G. Wang, “Network analysis and algorithm of microgrid reliability assessment,” presented at Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), Chengdu, China, March 28-31, 2010.
- R. Yokoyama, T. Niimura, and N. Saito, “Modeling and evaluation of supply reliability of microgrids including PV and wind power,” presented at Power and Energy Society General Meeting – Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century, Pittsburgh, USA, July 20-24, 2008.
- Z. Li, Y. Yuan, and F. Li, “Evaluating the reliability of islanded microgrid in an emergency mode,” presented at 45th International Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), Aug. 31 -Sep. 3, 2010.
- I. S. Bae, and J. O. Kim, “Reliability evaluation of distributed generation based on operation mode,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 785-790, May, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.894842
- I. S. Bae, and J. O. Kim, “Reliability evaluation of customers in a microgrid,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1416-1422, Aug. 2008.
- S. Kennedy, and M. M. Marden, “Reliability of islanded microgrids with stochastic generation and prioritized load,” presented at IEEE Bucharest Power Tech Conference, Bucharest, Romania, June 28-July 2, 2009.
- Z. Bie, P. Zhang, G. Li, and B. Hua, M. Meehan and X. Wang, “Reliability evaluation of active distribution systems including microgrids,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1-9, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2178735
- B. Falahati, Y. Fu, and L. Wu, “Reliability assessment of smart grid considering direct cyber-power interdepend-dencies,” IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 1-10, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2235092
- Y. Z. Sun, L. Cheng, H. T. Liu, and S. He. “Power system operational reliability evaluation based on real-time operating state,” presented at the 7th International Power Engineering Conference, pp. 722-727, Nov. 29-Dec. 2, 2005.
- J. He, Y. Z. Sun, P. Wang, and L. Cheng. “A hybrid conditions- dependent outage model of a transformer in reliability evaluation,” IEEE Trans. Power Deli., vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 2025-2033, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2028771
- X. Xu, J. Mitra, T. Wang, and L. Mu, “Evaluation of operational reliability of a microgrid using a short-term outage model,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol.29, no.5, pp. 2238-2247, Sep. 2014.
- P. M. Subcommittee, “IEEE Reliability Test System,” IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-98, no. 6, pp. 2047-2054, Nov./Dec., 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1979.319398
- R. Billinton, and R. N. Allan, Reliability evaluation of power systems (Edition 2), New York, NY: Plenum Press, 1996.
- B. Liu, Theory and Practice of Uncertain Programming (Edition 2), Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2009.
- K. Rudion, A. Orths, Z. A. Styczynski, and K. Strunz, “Design of benchmark of medium voltage distribution network for investigation of DG integration,” in proc. Power Engineering Society General Meeting, Montreal, QC, Canada, Sep. 2006.