- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Meta-Analytic Approach to the Effects of Food Processing Treatment on Pesticide Residues in Agricultural Products
식품가공처리가 농산물 잔류농약에 미치는 영향에 대한 메타분석
Kim, Nam Hoon;Park, Kyung Ai;Jung, So Young;Jo, Sung Ae;Kim, Yun Hee;Park, Hae Won;Lee, Jeong Mi;Lee, Sang Mi;Yu, In Sil;Jung, Kweon
- Received : 2016.02.16
- Accepted : 2016.03.22
- Published : 2016.03.31
A trial of combining and quantifying the effects of food processing on various pesticides was carried out using a meta-analysis. In this study, weighted mean response ratios and confidence intervals about the reduction of pesticide residue levels in fruits and vegetables treated with various food processing techniques were calculated using a statistical tool of meta-analysis. The weighted mean response ratios for tap water washing, peeling, blanching (boiling) and oven drying were 0.52, 0.14, 0.34 and 0.46, respectively. Among the food processing methods, peeling showed the greatest effect on the reduction of pesticide residues. Pearsons's correlation coefficient (r=0.624) between weighted mean response ratios and octanolwater partition coefficients (
meta-analysis;food processing;pesticide residues
- Abou-Arab, A. A. K. (1999) Behavior of pesticides in tomatoes during commercial and home preparation. Food Chem. 65(4):509-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00231-3
- Aguilera, A., A. Valverde, F. Camacho, M. Boulaid and L. Garcia-Fuentes (2014) Household processing factors of acrinathrin, fipronil, kresoxim-methyl and pyridaben residues in green beans. Food Control. 35(1):146-152 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.06.038
- Angioni, A., M. Schirra, V. L. Garau, M. Melis, C. I. G. Tuberoso and P. Cabras (2004) Residues of azoxystrobin, fenhexamid and pyrimethanil in strawberry following field treatments and the effect of domestic washing. Food Addit. Contam. 21(11):1065-1071. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030400010066
- Athanasopoulos, P. E., C. Pappas, N. V. Kyriakidis and A. Thanos (2005) Degradation of methamidophos on soultanina grapes on the vines and during refrigerated storage. Food Chem. 91(2):235-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2003.10.018
- Balinova, A. M., R. I. Mladenova and D. D. Shtereva (2006) Effects of processing on pesticide residues in peaches intended for baby food. Food Addit. Contam. 23(9):895-901. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030600771715
- Baur, P., A. Buchholz and J. Schonherr (1997) Diffusion in plant cuticles as affected by temperature and size of organic solutes: similarity and diversity among species. Plant Cell Environ. 20:982-994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3040.1997.tb00675.x
- Bonnechere, A., V. Hanot, R. Jolie, M. Hendrickx, C. Bragard, T. Bedoret and J. V. Loco (2012a) Processing factors of several pesticides and degradation products in carrots by household and industrial processing. J. Food Res. 1(3):68-83. https://doi.org/10.5539/jfr.v1n3p68
- Bonnechere, A., V. Hanot, R Jolie, M. Hendrickx, C Bragard, T. Bedoret and J. V. Loco (2012b) Effect of household and industrial processing on levels of five pesticide residues and two degradation products in spinach. Food Control. 25(1): 397-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2011.11.010
- Boulaid, M., A. Aguilera, F. Camacho, M. Soussi and A. Valverde (2005) Effect of household processing and unit-tounit variability of pyrifenox, pyridaben, and tralomethrin residues in tomatoes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53(10):4054-4058. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf040455y
- Byrne, S. L. and S. L. Pinkerton (2004) The effect of cooking on chlorpyrifos and 3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridinol levels in chlorpyrifos-fortified produce for use in refining dietary exposure. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52(25):7567-7573. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049212w
- Cabras, P., A. Angioni, V. L. Garau, E. V. Minell, F. Cabitza and M. cubeddu (1997) Residues of some pesticides in fresh and dried apricots. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45(8):3221-3222. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf970101p
- Cabras, P., A. Angioni, V. L. Garau, M. Melis, F. M. Pirisi, F. Cabitza and M. Pala (1998a) Pesticide residues in raisin processing. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46(6):2309-2311. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980058l
- Cabras, P., A. Angioni, V. L. Garau, M. Melis, F. M. Pirisi, V. Brandolini, F. Cabitza and M. Cubeddu (1998b) Pesticide residues in prune processing. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46(9): 3772-3774. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980098p
- Cabras, P., A. Angioni, V. L. Garau, M. Melis, F. M. Pirisi, F. Cabitza and M. Cubeddu (1998c) Pesticide residues on field-sprayed apricots and in apricot drying processes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46(6):2306-2308. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980059d
- Cengiz, M. F., M. Certel and H. Gocmen (2006) Residue contents of DDVP (Dichlorvos) and diazinon applied on cucumbers grown in greenhouses and their reduction by duration of a pre-harvest interval and post-harvest culinary applications. Food Chem. 98(4):127-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.064
- Cengiz, M. F., M. Certel, B. Karakas and H. Gocmen (2007) Residue contents of captan and procymidone applied on tomatoes grown in greenhouses and their reduction by duration of a pre-harvest interval and post-harvest culinary applications. Food Chem. 100(4):1611-1619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.12.059
- Chavarri, M. J., A. Herrera and A. Arino (2004) Pesticide residues in field-sprayed and processed fruits and vegetables. J. Sci. Food Agric. 84(10):1253-1259. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1791
- Chavarri, M. J., A. Herrera and A. Arino (2005) The decrease in pesticides in fruit and vegetables during commercial processing. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 40(2):205-211. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.00932.x
- Chen, X. J., Z. Y. Meng, P. Wang, C. L. Lu, Y. Z. Yang, L. Zhang, L. Liu and S. Chen (2015) Evaluation of household cleaning methods for reducing chlorantraniliprole residues on cowpea fruits. J. Agric. Sci. 7(9):129-137.
- Christensen, H, B., K. Granby and M. Rabolle (2003) Processing factors and variability of pyrimethanil, fenhexamid and tolylfluanid in strawberries. Food Addit. Contam. 20(8):728-741. https://doi.org/10.1080/0265203031000138286
- Claeys, W. L., J. F. Schmit, C. Bragard, G. Maghuin-Rogister, L. Pussemier and B. Schiffers (2011) Exposure of several Belgian comsumer groups to pesticide residues through fresh fruit and vegetable consumption. Food Control. 22(3- 4): 508-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2010.09.037
- FAO/WHO (2007) Pesticide residues in food 2007. Joint FAO/ WHO meeting on pesticide residues. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Fernandez-Cruz, M. L., M. Villarroya, S. Llanos, J. L. Alonso-Prados and J. M. Garcia-Baudin (2004) Field-incurred fenitrothion residues in kakis: comparison of individual fruits, composite samples, and peeled and cooked fruits. J. Agric. Food Chem. 52(4):860-863. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0305074
- Fernandez-Cruz, M. L., M. Barreda, M. Villarroya, A. Peruga, S. Llanos and J. M. Garcia-Baudin (2006) Captan and fenitrothion dissipation in field-treated cauliflowers and effect of household processing. Pest Manag. Sci. 62(11): 637-645. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1217
- Guardia-Rubio, M., M. J. Ayora-Canada and A. Ruiz-Medina (2007) Effect of washing on pesticide residues in olives. J. Food Sci. 72(2):139-143. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2006.00252.x
- Han, Y., F. Dong, J. Xu, X. Liu, Y. Li, Z. Kong, X. Liang, N. Liu and Y. Zheng (2014) Residue change of pyridaben in apple samples during apple cider processing. Food Control. 37(1):240-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.09.053
- Hassanzadeh, N., N. Bahramifar and A. Esmaili-Sari (2010) Residue contents of carbaryl applied on greenhouse cucumbers and its reduction by duration of a pre-harvest interval and post-harvest household processing. J. Sci. Food Agric. 90(13):2249-2253. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.4078
- Hedges, L. V., J. Gurevitch and P. S. Curtis (1999) The metaanalysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecol. 80(4):1150-1156. https://doi.org/10.1890/0012-9658(1999)080[1150:TMAORR]2.0.CO;2
- Hwang, K. W., W. S. Bang, H. W. Jo and J. K. Moon (2015) Dissipation and removal of the etofenprox residue during processing in spring onion. J. Agric. Food Chem. 63(30): 6675-6680. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b02345
- Juraske, R., C. L. Mutel, F. Stoessel, S. Hellweg (2009) Life cycle human toxicity assessment of pesticides: comparing fruit and vegetable diets in Switzerland and the United States. Chemosphere. 77(7):939-945. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2009.08.006
- Kang, S. M. and M. G. Lee (2005) Fate of some pesticide during brining and cooking of Chinese cabbage and spinach. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 14(1):77-81.
- Keikotlhaile, B. M., P. Spanoghe and W. Steurbaut (2010) Effects of food processing on pesticide residues in fruits and vegetables: a meta-analysis approach. Food Chem. Toxicol. 48(1):1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.10.031
- Kim, S. W., A. M. A. El-Aty, Md. M. Rahman, J. H. Choi, O. J. Choi, G. S. Rhee, M. I. Chang, H. J. Kim, M. D. N. Abid, S. C. Shin and J. H. Shim (2015a) Detection of pyridaben residue levels in hot pepper fruit and leaves by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry : effect of household processes. Biomed. Chromatogr. 29:990-997. https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.3383
- Kim, S. W., A. M. A. El-Aty, Md. M. Rahman, J. H. Choi, Y. J. Lee, A. Y. Ko, O. J. Choi, H. N. Jung, A. Hacimuftuoglu and J. H. Shim (2015b) The effect of household processing on the decline pattern of dimethomorph in pepper fruits and leaves. Food Control. 50:118-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2014.08.023
- Lee, H. D., O. J. You, Y. B. Ihm, H. Y. Kwon, Y. D. Jin, J. B. Kim, Y. H. Kim, S. S. Park, K. S. Oh, S. L. Ko, T. H. Kim, J. G. Noh, K. Y. Chung and K. S. Kyung (2006) Residual characteristics of some pesticides in/on pepper fruits and leaves by different types, growing and processing conditions. Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 10(2):99-106.
- Lee, M. G. (2001) Reduction of chlorpyrifos and fenitrothion residues in red pepper peel by washing and drying. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 10(4):429-432.
- Lee, M. G. and D. I. Jung (2009) Processing factors and removal ratios of select pesticides in hot pepper leaves by a successive process of washing, blanching and drying. Food Sci. Biotechol. 18(5):1076-1082.
- Lentza-Rizos, C. and A. Balokas (2001) Residue levels of chlorpropham in individual tubers and composite samples of postharvest-treated potatoes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 49(2): 710-714. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000018t
- Li, L., G. Jinag, C. Liu, H. Liang, D. Sun and W. Li (2012) Clothianidin dissipation in tomato and soil, and distribution in tomato peel and flesh. Food Control. 25(1):265-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2011.10.046
- Li, Y., B. Jiao, Q. Zhao, C. Wang, Y. Gong, Y. Zhang, W. Chen (2012) Effect of commercial processing on pesticide residues in orange products. Eur. Food Res. Technol. 234(3):449-456. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-011-1651-1
- Liang, Y., W. Wang, Y. Shen, Y. Liu and X. J. Liu (2012) Effects of home preparation on organophosphorus pesticide residues in raw cucumber. Food Chem. 133(3):636-640. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.01.016
- Pugliese, P., J. C. Molto, P. Damiani, R. Marin, L. Cossignani and J. Manes (2004) Gas chromatographic evaluation of pesticide residue contents in nectarines after non-toxic washing treatments. J. Chromatogr. A. 1050(2):185-191.
- Radwan, M. A., M. M. Abu-Elamayem, M. H. Shiboob and A. Abdel-Aal (2005) Residual behavior of profenofos on some field-grown vegetables and its removal using various washing solutions and household processing. Food Chem. Toxicol. 43(4):553-557. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2004.12.009
- Ramezani, M. K. and D. Shahriari (2015) Dissipation behavior, processing factors and risk assessment for metalaxyl in greenhouse-grown cucumber. Pest Manag. Sci. 71(4):579-583. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.3859
- Randhawa, M. A., F. M. Anjum, A. Ahmed and M. S. Randhawa (2007) Field incurred chlorpyrifos and 3,5,6- trichlor-2-pyridinol residues in fresh and processed vegetables. Food Chem. 103(3):1016-1023. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.10.001
- Rasmusssen, R. R., M. E. Poulsen and H. C. B. Hansen (2003) Distribution of multiple pesticide residues in apple segments after home processing. Food Addit. Contam. 20(11):1044-1063. https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030310001615221
- Reiler, E., E. Jors, J. Balum, O. Huici, M. M. A. Caero and N. Cedergreen (2015) The influence of tomato processing on residues of organochlorine and organophosphate insecticides and their associated dietary risk. Sci. Total Environ. 527:262-269.
- Soliman, K. M. (2001) Changes in concentration of pesticide residues in potatoes during washing and home preparation. Food Chem. Toxicol. 39(8):887-891. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(00)00177-0
- Valverde, A., A. Aguilera, M. Rodriguez, M. Boulaid and M. S. Begrani (2002) Pesticide residue levels in peppers grown in a greenhouse after multiple applications of pyridaben and tralomethrin. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50(25):7303-7307. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0205209
- Yang, A., J. H. Park, A. M. A. El-Aty, J. H. Choi, J. H. Oh, J. A. Do, K. S. Kwon, K. H. Shim, O. J. Choi and J. H. Shim (2012) Synergistic effect of washing and cooking on the removal of multi-class of pesticides from various food samples. Food Control. 28(1):99-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2012.04.018
- Zhang, Z. Y., X. J. Liu and X. Y. Hong (2007) Effects of home preparation on pesticide residues in cabbage. Food Control. 18(12):1484-1487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2006.11.002
- Determination of Pyraclostrobin and Trifloxystrobin Residues in Red Pepper Powder Processed from Raw Red Pepper pp.1936-976X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-018-1341-8
Grant : 첨단기자재생산
Supported by : (주)팜한농