- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study of Consolidation Behavior of Clay Ground with Partially Penetrated PVD under Artesian Pressure
연직배수재가 부분 관입된 점토지반의 피압에 따른 압밀 거동에 관한 연구
Yun, Daeho;Nguyen, Ba Phu;Kim, Jaehong;Kim, Yuntae
- Received : 2016.01.19
- Accepted : 2016.03.23
- Published : 2016.03.30
Many researchers reported that artesian pressure exists in thick soft ground of Busan Nakdong river estuary. Artesian pressure in soft ground could affect rate of consolidation, settlement and drainage capasity of prefabricated vertical drain(PVD). This paper investigated consolidation behaviors of soft ground with partially penetrated PVD subjected to artesian pressure. Laboratory tests with 1-dimensional large column equipment and their numerical analyses were carried out. Test results showed that the consolidation settlement of clay ground with artesian pressure was higher than that without artesian pressure. Due to artesian pressure, the dissipation rate of excess pore water pressure was reduced in soft ground with artesian pressure, especially at bottom part of clay ground. Numerical results were in good agreement with experimental test results.
Consolidation;Artesian pressure;Vertical drain;Clay ground
- Baek, S.H. (2002), Characterisation and Geotechnical Properties of Pusan Clays by Insitu Tests, Dong-a University, Doctor's thesis, pp.1-249 (In Korean).
- Choi, Y.I. (2000), Consolidation Behavior of Clay Soils with Artesian Pressure, Dong-a University, Master's thesis, pp. 3-61 (In Korean).
- Chung, S.G. and P.H. Giao. (2001), Examination of Pusan clays at a reference testing site, Lowland technology international, International Association of Lowland Technology (IALT), Vol. 3, No.2, pp.1-14.
- Chung, S.G., Lee, N.K., Lee, J.M., Min, S.C., Hong, Y.P. (2010), Hydraulic Characteristics of Busan Clay in the Floodplain of the Nakdong River Delta, Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.26, No.11, pp.47-61 (In Korean).
- Chung, S.G., P.H. Giao, T.S. Nagaraj, and J.M. Kwag (2002), Characterization of estuarine marine clays for coastal reclamation in Pusan, Korea., Marine Georesources and Geotechnology, Vol.20, No.4, pp.237-254. https://doi.org/10.1080/03608860290051930
- Han, Y.C., Yu, G.Y. (1999), A Study of Artesian Characteristics in Yangsan/Mulgeum Site, KGS Fall '99 National Conference, pp.123-130.
- Heo, D.Y. (2003), A Study on the Depositional Environment and Geotechnical Properties of Clay Deposited at the Busan New Port Site, Dong-a University, Doctor's thesis, pp.8-195.
- Jang, Y.S., Kim, Y.W. (2000), A Study of Installation Depth of Vertical Drain for weak Clay Soils with Artesian Pressure using 3-D Numerical Flow Model, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.20, No.1-C, pp.39-46 (In Korean).
- Kim, H.T., Cho, J.H., Yoo, J.Y., Ro, J.K., Kim, S.W. (2002), Self-weight Consolidation Settlement of Soft-grounds on the Artesian Pressure After the Penetration of Vertical Drain, KGS Fall '02 National Conference, pp.597-604 (In Korean).
- Kim, S.K., Kim, H.I., Hong, B.M., Kim, H.T. (1999), Consolidation Analysis of Vertical Drain Considering Artesian Pressure, KGS conference '99, pp.62-69 (In Korean).
- Kim, T.H., Yu, J.M., Lee, M.J., Bae, K.H., Jung, D.S. (2006), A Design Case Study Considering the Artesian Pressure in Hwa Jeon Site of Nakdong Delta Area, Korean Association of Professional Engineers Soil Mechanics & Foundation Engineering, pp.311-319 (In Korean).
- Kim, Y.T., Do Thank Hai. (2010), Effect of Leaching on the Compressibility of Busan Clay, Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol.14, No.4, pp.291-297.
- Kim, Y.T., T.H. Do. (2011), Experimental Evaluation of Leaching Effects on the Compressibility of Marine Clay and its Strain Rate Dependency, Marine Georesources and geotechnology, Vol.29, No.1, pp.16-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/1064119X.2010.514239
- Korea water resources corporation. (2015), Subsoil investigation report of Busan Eco-Delta City - phase 1 & area 3, pp. 1-468 (in Korean).
Supported by : 부경대학교