- Volume 15 Issue 1
This paper presents a fast sequencing algorithm for a mixed model assembly line with multiple workstations which minimize the total utility work and idle time. We compare the proposed algorithms with another heuristic, the Tsai-based heuristic, for a sequencing problem that minimizes the total utility works. Numerical experiments are used to evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the proposed algorithm. The Tsai-based heuristic performs best in terms of utility work, but the fast sequencing algorithm performs well for both utility work and idle time. However, the computational complexity of the fast sequencing algorithm is O (KN) while the Tsai-based algorithm is O (KNlogN). Actual computational time of the fast sequencing heuristic is 2-6 times faster than that of the Tsai-based heuristic.
Mixed-Model Assembly Line;Sequencing;Utility Work;Heuristics;Tsai-Based
- Bolat, A. (1997), Efficient Methods for Sequencing Minimum Job Sets on Mixed Model Assembly Lines, Naval Research Logistics, 44, 419-437. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6750(199708)44:5<419::AID-NAV2>3.0.CO;2-7
- Bolat, A. (1994), Sequencing jobs on an automobile assembly line: objectives and procedures, International Journal of Prod. Res., 32(5), 1219-1236. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207549408956996
- Bolat, A. and Yano, C. (1992a), Scheduling Algorithms to minimize Utility Work at a Single Station on a Paced Assembly, Production Planning and Control, 3(4), 393-405. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537289208919409
- Bolat, A. and Yano, C. (1992b), A surrogate Objective for Utility Work in Paced Assembly Lines, Production Planning and Control, 3(4), 406-412. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537289208919410
- Duplaga, E. A. and Bragg, D. J. (1998), Mixed-model assembly line sequencing heuristics for smoothing component parts usage: a comparative analysis, International Journal of Production Research, 36(8), 2209-2224. https://doi.org/10.1080/002075498192850
- Kim, T., Ji, B., and Cho, H. (2015), Heuristics-Based Algrithm for Production Planning Considering Allocation Rate Conformance to Prevent Unstable Production Chain, Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 14(4), 413-419. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2015.14.4.413
- Kim, Y., Choi, W., and Park, C. (2001), A Quick Sequencing Algorithm for a Mixed Model Assembly Line with Multiple Stations, KORMS Spring Proceedings, 300-303.
- Korkmazel, T. and Meral, S. (2001), Bicriteria sequencing methods for the mixed-model assembly line in just-in-time production systems, European Journal of Operational Research, 131, 188-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(00)00061-8
- Kotani, S., Ito, T. and Ohno, K. (2004), Sequencing problem for a mixed-model assembly line in the Toyota production system, International Journal of Production Research, 42(23), 4955-4974. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020754042000270377
- Kurashige, K., Yanagawa, Y., Miyazaki, S., and Kameyana, Y. (2002), Time-based goal chasing method for mixed-model assembly line problem with multiple work stations, Production Planning and Control, 13(8), 735-745. https://doi.org/10.1080/0953728031000057325
- Macaskill, J. L. C. (1972), Production-Line Balances for Mixed-Model Lines, Management Science, 19(4), 423-434. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.19.4.423
- McMullen, P. R. and Frazier, G. V. (2000), A Simulated annealing approach to mixed-model sequencing with multiple objectives on a just-in-time line, IIE Transactions, 32, 679-686.
- Okamura, K. and Yamashina, H. (1979), A Heuristic Algorithm for the Assembly Line Model-Mix Sequencing Problem to Minimize the Risk of Stopping the Conveyor, International J. of Production Research, 17(3), 233-247. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207547908919611
- Thomopolos, N. T. (1967), Line Balancing-Sequencing for Mixed-Model Assembly, Management Science, 14(2), 59-75. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.14.2.B59
- Tsai, L. (1995), Mixed-model Sequencing to Minimize Utility Work and the Risk of Conveyor Stoppage, Management Science, 41(3), 485-495. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.41.3.485
- Xiaobo, Z. and Ohno, K. (2000), Properties of a sequencing problem for a mixed model assembly line with conveyor stoppage, European Journal of Operational Research, 124, 560-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(99)00198-8
- Yano, C. A. and Racchamadugu, R. (1991), Sequencing to Minimize Work Overload in Assembly Lines with Product Options, Management Science, 37(5), 572-586. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.37.5.572
- Zeramdini, W., Aigbedo, H. and Moden, Y. (2000), Bicriteria sequencing for just-in-time mixed-model assembly lines, International Journal of Production Research, 38(15), 3451-3470. https://doi.org/10.1080/002075400422743