- Volume 15 Issue 1
Multiperiod portfolio selection problem attracts more and more attentions because it is in accordance with the practical investment decision-making problem. However, the existing literature on this field is almost undertaken by regarding security returns as random variables in the framework of probability theory. Different from these works, we assume that security returns are uncertain variables which may be given by the experts, and take absolute deviation as a risk measure in the framework of uncertainty theory. In this paper, a new multiperiod mean absolute deviation uncertain portfolio selection models is presented by taking transaction costs, borrowing constraints and threshold constraints into account, which an optimal investment policy can be generated to help investors not only achieve an optimal return, but also have a good risk control. Threshold constraints limit the amount of capital to be invested in each stock and prevent very small investments in any stock. Based on uncertain theories, the model is converted to a dynamic optimization problem. Because of the transaction costs, the model is a dynamic optimization problem with path dependence. To solve the new model in general cases, the forward dynamic programming method is presented. In addition, a numerical example is also presented to illustrate the modeling idea and the effectiveness of the designed algorithm.
Uncertain Variable;Multiperiod Uncertain Portfolio Selection;Uncertain Measure;Mean Absolute Deviation;The Forward Dynamic Programming Method
- Bodnar, T., Parolya, N., and Schmid, W. (2015), A closed-form solution of the multi-period portfolio choice problem for a quadratic utility function, To appear in Annals of Operations Research.
- Calafiore, G. C. (2008), Multi-period portfolio optimization with linear control policies, Automatica, 44(10) 2463-2473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2008.02.007
- Clikyurt, U. and Oekici, S. (2007), Multiperiod portfolio optimization models in stochastic markets using the mean-variance approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 179(1), 186- 202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2005.02.079
- Fang, S. C. and Puthenpura, S. (1993), Linear optimization and extensions: theory and algorithms, Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Fang, Y., Lai, K. K., and Wang, S. Y. (2006), Portfolio rebalancing model with transaction costs based on fuzzy decision theory, European Journal of Opera-tional Research, 175(2), 879-893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2005.05.020
- Gupinar, N. and B. Rustem, (2007), Worst-case robust decisions for multi-period mean-variance portfolio optimization, European Journal of Operational Research, 183(3), 981-1000. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.02.046
- Huang, X. (2008), Mean-semivariance models for fuzzy portfolio selection, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 217, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cam.2007.06.009
- Konno, H. and Yamazaki, H. (1991), Mean absolute portfolio optimisation model and its application to Tokyo stock market, Management Science, 37(5), 519-531. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.37.5.519
- Koksalan, M. and Sakar, C. T. (2014), An interactive approach to stochastic programming-based portfolio optimization, To appear in Annals of Operations Research.
- Li, C. J. and Li, Z. F. (2012), Multi-period portfolio optimization for asset-liability management with bankrupt control, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 218, 11196-11208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2012.05.010
- Li, D. and Ng, W. L. (2000), Optimal dynamic portfolio selection: multiperiod mean-variance formulation, Mathematical Finance, 10(3), 387-406. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9965.00100
- Li, X., Qin, Z., and Kar, S. (2010), Mean-variance-skewness model for portfolio selection with fuzzy returns, European Journal of operational Research, 202, 239-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.05.003
- Li, X. and Qin, Z. (2014), Interval portfolio selection models within the framework of uncertainty theory, Economic Modelling, 41, 338-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2014.05.036
- Liu, B. (2003), Inequalities and convergence concepts of fuzzy and rough variables, Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making, 2(2), 87-100. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023491000011
- Liu, B. and Liu, Y. K. (2002), Expected value of fuzzy variable and fuzzy expected value models, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 10(4), 445-450. https://doi.org/10.1109/TFUZZ.2002.800692
- Liu, B. (2007), Uncertainty Theory, 2nd ed. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Liu, B. (2009), Some research problems in uncertainty theory, Journal of Uncertain Systems, 3(1), 3-10.
- Liu, Y. and Qin, Z. (2012), Mean Semi-absolute deviation model for uncertain portfolio optimization problem, Journal of Uncertain Systems, 6(4), 299-307.
- Liu, Y. J., Zhang, W. G., and Xu, W. J. (2012), Fuzzy multi-period portfolio selection optimization models using multiple criteria, Automatica, 48, 3042-3053. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2012.08.036
- Liu, Y. J., Zhang, W. G., and Zhang, P. (2013), A multiperiod portfolio selection optimization model by using interval analysis, Economic Modelling, 33, 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2013.03.006
- Mansini, R., Ogryczak, W., Speranza, M. G. (2007), Conditional value at risk and related linear programming models for portfolio optimization, Annals of Operations Research, 152, 227-256. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-006-0142-4
- Markowitz, H. M. (1952), Portfolio selection, Journal of Finance, 7, 77-91.
- Markowitz, H. M. (1959), Portfolio selection: Efficient diversification of investments, New York: Wiley.
- Merton, R. C. and Samuelson, P. A. (1974), Fallacy of the log-normal approximation to optimal portfolio decision-making over many periods, Journal of Financial Economics, 1, 67-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(74)90009-9
- Mossion, J. (1968), Optimal multiperiod portfolio policies, Journal of Business, 41, 215-229. https://doi.org/10.1086/295078
- Qin, Z., Kar, S., and Li, X. (2009), Developments of Mean-Variance Model for Portfolio Selection in Uncertain Environment, Technical Report.
- Qin, Z., Wen, M., and Gu, C. (2011), Mean-absolute deviation portfolio selection model with fuzzy returns, Iranian Journal of Fuzzy Systems, 8, 61-75.
- Samuelson, P. A. (1969), Lifetime portfolio selection by dynamic stochastic programming, Review of Economic Studies, 51, 239-246.
- Simaan, Y. (1997), Estimation risk in portfolio selection:The mean variance model and the mean-absolute deviation model, Management Science, 43, 1437-1446. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.43.10.1437
- Speranza, M. G. (1993), Linear programming model for portfolio optimization, Finance, 14, 107-123.
- Terol, A. B., Gladish, B. P., Parra, M. A., and Uria, M. V. R. (2006), Fuzzy compromise programming for portfolio selection, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 173, 251-264 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.04.003
- van Binsbergen, J. H. and Brandt, M. (2007), Solving dynamic portfolio choice problems by recursing on optimized portfolio weights or on the value function?, Computational Economics, 29, 355-367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10614-006-9073-z
- Vercher, E., Bermudez, J., and Segura, J. (2007), Fuzzy portfolio optimization under downside risk measures, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 158, 769-782. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2006.10.026
- Wang, S. Y. and Zhu, S. S. (2002), On fuzzy portfolio selection problem, Fuzzy Optimization and Decision, Making, 1(4), 361-377 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020907229361
- Wu, H. L. and Li, Z. F. (2012), Multi-period meanvariance portfolio selection with regime switching and a stochastic cash flow, Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, 50, 371-384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.insmatheco.2012.01.003
- Yan, W. and Li, S. R. (2009), A class of multi-period semi-variance portfolio selection with a four-factor futures price model, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computing, 29, 19-34. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12190-008-0086-8
- Yan, W., Miao, R., and Li, S. R. (2007), Multi-period semi-variance portfolio selection: Model and numerical solution, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 194, 128-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2007.04.036
- Yu, M., Takahashi, S., Inoue, H., and Wang, S. Y. (2010), Dynamic portfolio optimization with risk control for absolute deviation model, European Journal of Operational Research, 201(2), 349-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.03.009
- Yu, M. and Wang, S. Y. (2012), Dynamic optimal portfolio with maximum absolute deviation model, Journal of Global Optimization, 53, 363-380. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10898-012-9887-2
- Zadeh, L. (1978), Fuzzy sets as a basis for a theory of possibility, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 1, 3-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0114(78)90029-5
- Zadeh, L. (1979), A theory of approximate reasoning, in: J. Hayes, D. Michie, R. M. Thrall (Eds.), Mathematical Frontiers of the Social and Policy Sciences, Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 69-129.
- Zhang, W. G., Liu, Y. J., and Xu, W. J. (2012), A possibilistic mean-semivariance-entropy model for multiperiod portfolio selection with transaction costs, European Journal of Operational Research, 222, 341-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.04.023
- Zhang, W. G., Wang, Y. L., Chen, Z. P., and Nie, Z. K. (2007), Possibilistic mean-variance models and efficient frontiers for portfolio selection problem, Information Sciences, 177, 2787-2801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2007.01.030
- Zhang, W. G., Zhang, X. L., and Xiao, W. L. (2009), Portfolio selection under possibilistic mean-variance utility and a SMO algorithm, European Journal of Operational Research, 197, 693-700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.07.011
- Zhang, W. G., Liu, Y. J., and Xu, W. J. (2014), A new fuzzy programming approach for multi-period portfolio Optimization with return demand and risk control, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 246, 107-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2013.09.002
- Zhang, W. G. and Liu, Y. J. (2014), Credibilitic meanvariance model for multi-period portfolio selection problem with risk control, OR Spectrum, 36,113-132. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00291-013-0335-6
- Zhang, P. and Zhang, W. G. (2014), Multiperiod mean absolute deviation fuzzy portfolio selection model with risk control and cardinality constraints, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 255, 74-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2014.07.018
- Zhu, S. S., Li, D., and Wang, S. Y. (2004), Risk control over bankruptcy in dynamic portfolio selection: a generalized mean-variance formulation, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 49(3), 447-457. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2004.824474
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China