- Volume 4 Issue 1
Purpose. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of massage program on muscle strength (MMT), range of motion (ROM) and activities of daily living (ADL) in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Methods. The child welfare center of J city were measurement goniometer by range of motion and evaluation of activities of daily living scale and muscle strength scale. The massage program was applicated with 40 min, 2 times per a week and total 8 weeks. Massage program constituted surface of effleurage, petrisage, deep part of effleurage, friction in regular sequence. Result. For muscle strengths were significantly differenced after 8 weeks. For range of motion were dose dependent increased different two groups. And activities of daily living scale were significantly difference between massage group and non-massage group. Conclusion. In this study, the therapeutic massage program showed a positive effect for muscle strength, range of motion and activities of daily living in spastic cerebral palsy.
Activities of daily living;Massage program;Muscle strength;Range of motion;Spastic cerebral palsy
- Yong Pal Ahn, Sae Yoon Kang, Kyoung Hee Park. The Effect of Vojta Method in Treatment of Cerebral Palsy. Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine. 1984;8:42-49.
- Buckon CE, Thomas S, Pierce R, et al. Developmental skills of children with spastic diplegia functional and qualitative changes after selective dorsal rhizotomy, Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997;78(9):946-951. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90055-1
- Eun-Joo Kang, Jung-Hee Park, Hun-Sun Jun. A Research trend on the Motor Skills Training of the Children with Cerebral Palsy. The Journal of Elementary Special Education. 2009;11(1):1-14.
- J. E. Brown and N. J. O'Hare. "A review of the different methods for assessing standing balance," Physiotherapy. 2001;87(9):489-495. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(05)60696-7
- M. H. Beers, R. S. Porter, T. V. Jones, L. L. Kaplan, and M. Berkwits. The merck manual of diagnosis and therapy. Merck and Co. 2006.
- Myung-Sook Ko, Eun-Young Yoo, Min-Ye Jung. The Effects of Strengthening Exercise Training on Gait and Activity of Daily Living in Children with Cerebral Palsy. Korea Sport Research. 2005;16(5):137-144.
- Aicardi, J, Bax M. In, Aicardi, J. Disease of the nervous system in childhood. Clinics in Dev. Med. 1992;115(118):330-374.
- Mcnee, A. E., Shortland, I. C., Eve, R. O & Robinson, M. G. Lower limb extensor moments in children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. gait and posture. Article in press. 2003.
- Ki-Yong Rha, Bon-Chil Koo. A Study on Growth in Students with Cerebral Palsy and Mental Retardation. Journal of Korea Sport Research. 2007;18(5):221-230.
- Maruishi M, Mano Y, Sasaki T, Shinmyo N, Sato H, Ogawa T. cerebral palsy in adults: Independent effects of muscle strength and muscle tone. Arch Phs Med Rehabil. 2001;82(5): 637-641. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.22336
- Soo ok Kim. A Study on the accessibility to rehabilitative therapy of the children with cerebral palsy. Kyungnam University. 2004.
- Mi-Jung Oh, Kyong-Hee Choi. The Effect of Meridian Massage on Muscle Power, ROM, and ADL in Persons with Cerebral Palsy. J Kirean Acad Funda Nurs. 2003;10(1):68-77.
- Kweon Young Kim. Rehabilitation of the Children with Cerebral Palsy. The journal of the korean association on developmental disabilities. 2001;5(1):49-63.
- Tae-Ho Kim, Oh-Yun Kwon. Pediatric Physical Therapy. Topmediopia. 2006.
- Ji-Young Baek, Byoung-Hee Lee, Yun-Hee Pyo. The Effects of the Functional Training Approach on Activities of Daily Living in Children with Cerebral Palsy. Journal of Korea sport research. 2007;18(2):57-66
- Yun Jeong Son, Yi Soon Kim, Hyang Mi Jung, Kyung Hee Shon. Effect of the upper meridian massage on the upper extremity function and ADL in stroke patients. Journal of the Korean data analysis society. 2006;8(5):1747-1764.
- Robertson, A., Watt, J.M., Galloway, S.D.R. Effects of leg massage on recovery from high intensity cycling exercise. BJSM. 2004;38:173-176. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2002.003186
- Mancinelli CA, Scott Davis D, Aboulhosn L, Brady M, Eisenhofer J. et al. The effects of massage on delayed onset muscle soreness and physical performance in female collegiate athletes. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2006;7(1):5-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2005.10.004
- Meek, S. S. Effects of slow stroke back massage on relaxation in hospice clients. Image. 1993;25(1):17-21.
- Peggy A. Houglum. Therapeutic exercise for athletic injuries. Daehanmedia. 2003.
- Mitzel-Wikinson, A. Massage therapy as a nursing parctice. Holistic Nurs Prct. 2000;14(2):48-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004650-200001000-00009
- So Young Yu. Effects of pediatric massage on behavioral state and vital sign in infants with spastic cerebral palsy. Yonsei University. 2002.
- Furlan, A. D., Brosseau, L., Imamura, M., Irvin, E. Massage for low-back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane Collaboration Back Review Group. 2002;127(17):1896-1910.
- Seung Ryeol Lee, Kyung Tae Yoo. The Effects of Sports Massage on Hamstring and Quadriceps after Maximal Exercise Test. Korean Association of Kinesiology. 2009;11(3):41-51.
- Tae-Im Kim. Effect of Massage Therapy on Growth Parameters of Instituted Infants. Child Health Nursing Research. 2002;8(2):204-216.
- Ki Yong Ra. The Effects of Leg Massage on the Physiological, Immune Responses and ROM of Students with Severe Spastic Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy. Kyoungnam University 2008.
- Hasson, D., Arnetz, B., Jelveus, L., Edelstam, B. A randomized clinical trial of the therapy effects of massage compared to relaxation taper ecordings on diffuse long-term pain. Psychotherapy Psychosomatic. 2004;73(1):17-24. https://doi.org/10.1159/000074436
- Field, T. S. Tactile kinesthetic stimulation effects on preterm neonates. Pediatrics 1986;77(5):654-658.
- Field, T., Diego, M., Hernandez-Reif. M. Massage therapy research. Developmental Review. 2007;27(1):49-63.
- Wiley, M., Damiano, D. Lower-extremity strength profiles in spastic cerebral palsy. Developmantal Medicine and Child Neurology. 1998;40(2):100-107.
- Jung-Eun Ham, Ki-Sook Oh. A Study on the Effect of Sports Massage on Reflective Power and Basic Motor Control for the Cerebral Palsied Children's. Korea Sport Research. 2005;16(6):263-272.
- Jae Kweon Chung, Jae Kweon Chung. The Effect of Hand Function Training Program on Upper Extremity and ADL Cerebral Palsy. The educational journal for physical and multiple disabilities. 1999;34:85-99.
- Jay, S. S. The Effect of gentle Human touch on mechanically ventilated very-short gestation infant. Maternal Child Nursing Journal. 1982;11(4):199-257.
- Macgregor, R., Cambell, R., Gladden, M. H., Tennant, N., Young, D. Effects of massage on the mechanical behaviour of muscles in adolescents with spastic diplegia : a pilot study. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology. 2007;49(3):187-191. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2007.00187.x
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국국제대학교