- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Study on the Ignition Probability and Combustion Flame Characteristics of Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection CNG
스파크점화직분식 CNG의 점화성 및 연소화염 특성에 대한 연구
- Received : 2016.01.12
- Accepted : 2016.03.07
- Published : 2016.03.31
For the SI engines, at only full load, the pumping loss has a negligible effect, while at part load conditions, the pumping loss increases. To avoid the pumping loss, the spark-ignited engines are designed to inject gasoline directly into the combustion chamber. In the spark-ignited direct-injection engines, ignition probability is important for successful combustion and the flame propagation characteristics are also different from that of pre-mixed combustion. In this paper, a visualization experiment system is designed to study the ignition probability and combustion flame characteristics of spark-ignited direct-injection CNG fuel. The visualization system is composed of a combustion chamber, fuel supply system, air supply system, electronic control system and data acquisition system. It is found that ambient pressure, ambient temperature and ambient air flow velocity are important parameters which affect the ignition probability of CNG-air mixture and flame propagation characteristics and the injected CNG fuel can be ignited directly by a spark-plug under proper ambient conditions. For all cases of successful ignition, the flame propagation images were digitally recorded with an intensified CCD camera and the flame propagation characteristics were analyzed.
CNG;Ignition probability;Visualization system;Flame propagation characteristics
- Z. H. Huang, K. Zhang and K. L. Yang, "Study on Combustion Characteristics of Direct Injection Natural Gas Engine by Using a Rapid Compression Machine", Transactions of CSISE, Vol. 19, No. 4, 2001, pp. 314-322.
- Z. H. Huang, K. Zhang and K. L. Yang, "Visualization Study of Natural Gas Direct Injection Combustion", Transactions of CSICE, Vol. 20, No. 6, 2002, pp. 511-520.
- M. Canakci, "An experimental study for the effects of boost pressure on the performance and exhaust emissions of a DI-HCCI gasoline engine", Fuel, Vol. 87, 2008, pp. 1503-1514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.08.002
- H. Kamura and K. Takada, "Development of in-cylinder gasoline direct injection engine", JSAE Review, Vol. 19, 1998, pp. 175-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0389-4304(97)00072-6
- A. C. Alkidas, "Combustion advancements in gasoline engines", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 48, 2007, pp. 2751-2761. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2007.07.027
- M. Costa, U. Sorge and L. Allocca, "Numerical study of the mixture formation process in a four-stroke GDI engine for two-wheel applications", Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Vol. 19, 2011, pp. 1212-1226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2010.07.006
- K. H. Lee, C. H. Lee and C. S. Lee, "An experimental study on the spray behavior and fuel distribution of GDI injectors using the entropy analysis and PIV method", Fuel, Vol. 83, 2004, pp. 971-980. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2003.10.021
- J. Egermann, W. Koebcke, W. Ipp and A. Leipertz, "Investigation of the mixture formation inside a gasoline direct injection engine by means of linear Raman spectroscopy", proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 28, 2000, pp. 1145-1152.
- O. A. Kutlar, H. Arslan and A. T. Calik, "Methods to improve efficiency of four stroke, spark ignition engines at part load", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 46, 2005, pp. 3202-3220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.03.008
- 노현구, 김광래, "GDI 엔진에 DCT 적용에 따른 배기 배출물 특성에 미치는 영향," 한국액체미립화학회지, 제20권, 3호, 2015, pp. 156-161.
- 배충식, 박성산, 김동훈, "가솔린 직분식 압축착화 엔진 저부하 영역 디젤/가솔린 분무의 쉴리렌, 쉐도우그래프, 미산란법적 가시화", 한국액체미립화학회지, 제20권, 3호, 2015, pp. 187-194.
- F. Zhao, M. C. Lai and D. L. Harrington, "Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 25, 1999, pp. 437-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1285(99)00004-0
- U. Spicher, J. Reissing, J. M. Kech and J. Gindele, "Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engine-development Potentialities", SAE 1999-01-2938, 1999.
- P. H. Barros Zarante and J. R. Sodre, "Evaluating carbon emissions reduction by use of natural gas as engine fuel", Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Vol. 1, 2009, pp. 216-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2009.11.002
- D. Fino, N. Russo, G. Saracco and V. Specchia, "Supported Pd-perovskite catalyst for CNG engines' exhaust gas treatment", Progress in Solid State Chemistry, Vol. 35, 2007, pp. 501-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progsolidstchem.2007.01.016
- M. Mansha, A. R. Saleemi, S. H. Javed and Badar M. Ghauri, "Prediction and measurement of pollutant emissions in CNG fired internal combustion engine", Journal of Natural Gas Chemistry, Vol. 19, 2010, pp. 539-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-9953(09)60103-1
- D. Fino, N. Russo, G. Saracco and V. Specchia, "CNG engines exhaust gas treatment via Pd-Spinel-type-oxide catalysts", Catalysis Today, Vol. 117, 2006, pp. 559-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2006.06.003
- A. M. Pourkhesalian, A. H. Shamekhi and F. Salimi, "Alternative fuel and gasoline in an SI engine: A comparative study of performance and emissions characteristics", Fuel, Vol. 89, 2010, pp. 1056-1063. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2009.11.025
- O. A. Kutlar, H. Arslan and A. T. Calik, "Methods to improve efficiency of four stroke, spark ignition engines at part load", Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 46, 2005, pp. 3202-32209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.03.008
- M. Gafvert, K. E. Arzen, L. M. Pedersen and Bo Bernhardsson, "Control of GDI engines using torque feedback exemplified by simulations", Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 12, 2004, pp. 165-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0661(03)00020-0
- S. F. Ahmed and E. Mastorakos, "Spark ignition of lifted turbulent jet flames", Combustion and Flame, Vol. 146, 2006, pp. 215-231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2006.03.007
- J. C. Dent, "Basis for the Compare of Various Experimental Methods for Studying Spray Penetration", SAE paper, 710571, vol. 80, 1971.