- Volume 18 Issue 1
Temperature lapse rate within the planetary boundary layer shows a diurnal cycle with a substantial variation. The widely-used lapse rate value for the standard atmosphere may result in unaffordable errors if used in interpolating hourly temperature in complex terrain. We propose a simple method for estimating hourly lapse rate and evaluate whether this scheme is better than the conventional method using the standard lapse rate. A standard curve for lapse rate based on the diurnal course of temperature was drawn using upper air temperature for 1000hPa and 925hPa standard pressure levels. It was modulated by the hourly sky condition (amount of clouds). In order to test the reliability of this method, hourly lapse rates for the 500-600m layer over Daegwallyeong site were estimated by this method and compared with the measured values by an ultrasonic temperature profiler. Results showed the mean error
Lapse rate;Mountain slope;Diurnal temperature cycle;Temperature interpolation
- Minder, J. R., P. W. Mote, and J. D. Lundquist, 2010: Surface temperature lapse rates over complex terrain: Lessons from the Cascade Mountains. Journal of Geophysical Research 115(D14122), 1-13. doi: 10.1029/2009JD013493 https://doi.org/10.1029/2009JD013493
- Wallace, J. M., and P. V. Hobbs, 1977: Atmospheric science: An introductory survey. Academic Press, 467pp.
- Yun, J. I., J. Y. Choi, and J. H. Ahn, 2001: Seasonal trend of elevation effect on daily air temperature in Korea. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 3(2), 96-104. (In Korean with English abstract)
- Yun, J. I., 2009: A simple method using a topography correction coefficient for estimating daily distribution of solar irradiance in complex terrain. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 11(1), 13-18. (In Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2009.11.1.013
- Chung, U., H. C. Seo, J. I. Yun, S. J. Jeon, K. H. Moon, H. H. Seo, and Y. S. Kwon, 2009: Extrapolation of daily maximum temperature in a mountainous terrain. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 45, 473-482.
- Geiger, R., R. H. Aron, and P. Todhunter, 2009: The climate near the ground (7th ed.). Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 642pp.
- Kim, S. O., J. H. Kim, D. J. Kim, and J. I. Yun, 2012: Wind effect on daily minimum temperature across a cold pooling catchment. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 14(4), 277-282. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2012.14.4.277
- Chung, U., J. Choi, and J. I. Yun, 2004: Urbanization effect on the observed change in mean monthly temperatures between 1951-1980 and 1971-2000 in Korea. Climatic Change 66, 127-136. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CLIM.0000043136.58100.ce
- Chung, U., H. H. Seo, K. H. Hwang, B. S. Hwang, J. Choi, J. T. Lee, and J. I. Yun, 2006: Minimum temperature mapping over complex terrain by estimating cold air accumulation potential. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 137, 15-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2005.12.011
- Kim, S. O., J. I. Yun, U. Chung, and K. H. Hwang, 2010: A geospatial evaluation of potential sea effects on observed air temperature. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 12(4), 217-224. (In Korean with English abstract) https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2010.12.4.217
- Kim, S. O., and J. I. Yun, 2011: A quantification method for the cold pool effect on nocturnal temperature in a closed catchment. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 13(4), 176-184. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2011.13.4.176
- Kim, S. O., and J. I. Yun, 2013: Relationship between midday air temperature and solar irradiance over sloping surfaces under cloudless conditions. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 15(4), 291-297. (In Korean with English abstract) doi:10.5532/KJAFM.2013.15.4.291 https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2013.15.4.291
- Kim, S. O., and J. I. Yun, 2014: Improving usage of the Korea Meteorological Administration's digital forecasts in agriculture: III. Correction for advection effect on determination of daily maximum temperature over sloped surfaces. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 16(4), 297-303. (In Korean with English abstract) doi: 10.5532/KJAFM.2014.16.4.297 https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2014.16.4.297
- Kim, S. O, J. H. Kim, D. J. Kim, K. M. Shim, and J. I. Yun, 2015: Combined effects of wind and solar irradiance on the spatial variation of midday air temperature over a mountainous terrain. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 51, 239-247. doi: 10.1007/s13143-015-0074-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13143-015-0074-5
- Kim, S. O., and J. I. Yun, 2015: Improving usage of the Korea Meteorological Administration's digital forecasts in agriculture: IV. Estimation of Daily Sunshine Duration and Solar Radiation Based on 'Sky Condition' Product. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 17(4), 281-289. (In Korean with English abstract) doi:10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.4.281 https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2015.17.4.281
- Kirchner, M., T. Faus-Kessler, G. Jakobi, M. Leuchner, L. Ries, H. E. Scheel, and P. Suppan, 2013: Altitudinal temperature lapse rates in an Alpine valley: trends and the influence of season and weather patterns. International Journal of Climatology 33, 539-555. doi: 10.1002/joc.3444 https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.3444
- Improving the Usage of the Korea Meteorological Administration's Digital Forecasts in Agriculture: V. Field Validation of the Sky-condition based Lapse Rate Estimation Scheme vol.18, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2016.18.3.135
Supported by : 농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원