- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Lower Extremity Strengthening Exercise with Step Box and Elastic Band on Balance Ability and Lower Extremity Muscular Strength in Community-living Elderly Individuals
스텝박스와 탄력밴드를 이용한 하지근력강화운동이 지역사회 노인의 균형능력과 하지근력에 미치는 영향
Kim, Du-suop;Choi, Im-soon;Kim, Suhn-yeop
- Received : 2015.09.07
- Accepted : 2015.10.05
- Published : 2016.02.29
PURPOSE: This study was examined the effects of aerobic exercise using a step box and lower extremity strengthening exercise with an elastic band on the balance ability and lower extremity muscular strength in elderly subjects. METHODS: Forty-one healthy adults were randomly divided into experimental group 1 (Exp 1, n=14), experimental group 2 (Exp 2, n=14), and a control group (n=13). The Exp 1 conducted lower limb strengthening exercise using an elastic band and the Exp 2 performed aerobic exercise with a step box 50 minutes per day, twice per week, for eight weeks. RESULTS: There was significant increase in the Exp 1 and Exp 2 in comparison of the change of lower limb muscle strength according to measurement time (p<.05). But there was no significant difference according to intervention methods. In one-leg standing test change among the three groups after the intervention, the Exp 1 and Exp 2 saw significant improvement compared to the control group (p<.05) but there was no significant difference according to intervention methods. The change of the functional reaching test results, the Exp 1 and Exp 2 saw significant improvement according to the time of measurement. In the change of the Timed Up and Go test, there was significant improvement in the Exp 1 and Exp 2 compared to the control group (p<.01), but there was no significant difference according to intervention methods. CONCLUSION: Exercise to lower extremity strengthening program accompanied with aerobic exercise is considered more effective in dynamical balance and ability to walk.
Balance;Elderly;Elastic band;Step box;Strengthening exercise
- Barnett A, Smith B, Lord SR, et al. Community-based group exercise improves balance and reduces falls in at-risk older people: A randomised controlled trial. Age Ageing. 2003;32(4):407-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.4.407
- Bohannon RW, Larkin PA. Rolling board for treatment and evaluation of neurologically involved patients. Suggestion from the field. Phys Ther. 1984;64(10):1543. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/64.10.1543
- Bruno B. The Stair Master: Fitness handbook. Champaign, IL. 1995.
- Buchner DM, Cress ME, de Lateur BJ, et al. The effect of strength and endurance training on gait, balance, fall risk, and health services use in community-living older adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1997;52(4):M218-24.
- Cho SI. Effects of a fall prevention exercise program on muscle strength, balance and fall efficacy in older-old elderly. Master's Degree, Inje University. 2012.
- Choi MA, Jeon MY, Choi JA. Effect of walk training on physical fitness for prevention in a home bound elderly. Journal Korean Acad Community Health Nurs. 2000;30(5):1318-32. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.5.1318
- Duncan PW, Weiner DK, Chandler J, et al. Functional reach: A new clinical measure of balance. J Gerontol. 1990;45(6):192-7.
- Fiatarone MA, Marks EC, Ryan ND, et al. High-intensity strength training in nonagenarians. effects on skeletal muscle. JAMA. 1990;263(22):3029-34. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1990.03440220053029
- Hubert HB, Bloch DA, Oehlert JW, et al. Lifestyle habits and compression of morbidity. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2002;57(6):M347-51. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/57.6.M347
- Jung JH. The effects of aerobic exercise and muscle strengthen exercise of elderly patients with diabetes mellitus. Master's Degree, Chungnam National University. 2003.
- Khayambashi K, Fallah A, Movahedi A, et al. Posterolateral hip muscle strengthening versus quadriceps strengthening for patellofemoral pain: A comparative control trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014;95(5):900-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2013.12.022
- Kim G. Effects of elastic band resistance exercise on improving the balance and walking ability in the elderly. Master's Degree, Dongshin University. 2008.
- King AC, Rejeski WJ, Buchner DM. Physical activity interventions targeting older adults. A critical review and recommendations. Am J Prev Med. 1998;15(4):316-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(98)00085-3
- Kollegger H, Baumgartner C, Wober C, et al. Spontaneous body sway as a function of sex, age, and vision: Posturographic study in 30 healthy adults. Eur Neurol. 1992;32(5):253-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000116836
- Kwak CJ. Effects of elastic-band resistance exercise on balance, mobility & gait function, flexibility and fall efficacy in elderly people. Master's Degree, Sahmyook University. 2014.
- Lee HJ, Han SW. Effects of lower extremity muscle strengthening exercise using elastic resistance on balance on elderly women. Journal Korean Acad Community Health Nurs. 2009;20(1):59-66.
- Lee MS, Kim JM. Risk factors for falls in the elderly population in Korea: An analysis of the third Korea national health and nutrition examination survey data. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2007;24(4):23-39.
- Lee SE. Effects of increasing ankle range of motion program on ambulation and balance for the elderly with balance disorder. Master's Degree, Dankook University. 2002.
- Lee YE. Effects of stepbox exercise for functional fitness for the elderly. Master's Degree, Seoul National University of Technology. 2008.
- Lord SR, Ward JA, Williams P, et al. Physiological factors associated with falls in older community-dwelling women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1994;42(10):1110-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1994.tb06218.x
- Melzer I, Benjuya N, Kaplanski J. Effect of physical training on postural control of elderly. Harefuah. 2005;144 (12):839-44, 911.
- Messier SP, Royer TD, Craven TE, et al. Long-term exercise and its effect on balance in older, osteoarthritic adults:Results from the fitness, arthritis, and seniors trial (FAST). J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000;48(2):131-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2000.tb03903.x
- Mun EM. The effect of elastic band for resistance training and balance training on walking ability in elderly women. Master's Degree, Kookmin University. 2007.
- O'Sullivan S, Schmitz T. Physical Rehabilitation. Philadelphia. FA Davis. 2007.
- Podsiadlo D, Richardson S. The timed "Up & go": A test of basic functional mobility for frail elderly persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1991;39(2):142-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1991.tb01616.x
- Rantanen T, Guralnik JM, Sakari-Rantala R, et al. Disability, physical activity, and muscle strength in older women: The women's health and aging study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(2):130-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90109-0
- Rogers ME, Fernandez JE, Bohlken RM. Training to reduce postural sway and increase functional reach in the elderly. J Occup Rehabil. 2001;11(4):291-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013300725964
- Rubenstein LZ, Josephson KR. The epidemiology of falls and syncope. Clin Geriatr Med. 2002;18(2):141-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0690(02)00002-2
- Shin HS, Kim NJ, Ko JU, et al. Changes of physical fitness variables according to age ranges in elderly women after 12-week-combined exercise program application. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2013;33(2):461-74.
- Shumway-Cook A, Brauer S, Woollacott M. Predicting the probability for falls in community-dwelling older adults using the timed up & go test. Phys Ther. 2000;80(9):896-903.
- Statistics Korea. Elderly Statistics 2011. Population projections 2010-60.
- Sterling DA, O'Connor JA, Bonadies J. Geriatric falls: Injury severity is high and disproportionate to mechanism. J Trauma. 2001;50(1):116-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200101000-00021
- Vellas BJ, Rubenstein LZ, Ousset PJ, et al. One-leg standing balance and functional status in a population of 512 community-living elderly persons. Aging (Milano). 1997;9(1-2):95-8.
- Wernick-Robinson M, Krebs DE, Giorgetti MM. Functional reach: Does it really measure dynamic balance? Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(3):262-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90136-3
- Wolf SL, Barnhart HX, Ellison GL, et al. The effect of tai chi quan and computerized balance training on postural stability in older subjects. Atlanta FICSIT group. Frailty and injuries: Cooperative studies on intervention techniques. Phys Ther. 1997;77(4):371-81; discussion 382-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.4.371
- Yeom TH, Kim SY, So YG, et al. The risk factors of falls in the elderly. Korean Journal of Family Medicine. 2001;22(2):221-9.
- Yoo SW. The effects of resistance exercise on physical strength elements and gait performance in the elderly people aged over 80. Master's Degree, Seoul National University. 2014.
- Zion AS, De Meersman R, Diamond BE, et al. A home-based resistance-training program using elastic bands for elderly patients with orthostatic hypotension. Clin Auton Res. 2003;13(4):286-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10286-003-0117-3
- The Effect of Stretching and Elastic Band Exercises Knee Space Distance and Plantar Pressure Distribution during Walking in Young Individuals with Genu Varum vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.1.83
- Effect of a 4-week Theraband Exercise with PNF Pattern on Improving Mobility, Balance and Fear of Fall in Community-Dwelling Elderly vol.12, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.4.73
- Relationship between Physical Activity Level and Fall-Proof-related Fitness in Older Female Adults vol.13, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2018.13.2.1