- Volume 20 Issue 5
In this article, an additive performance ratio method using structural analysis of both 2D and 3D is introduced to mitigate the complexity of work evaluating structural performances of numerous steel outrigger alternatives in multi-story buildings, especially high-rise buildings. The combined structural analysis process enables to be the design of economic, safe, and as constructional demanding structures by exploiting the advantages of steel, namely: excellent energy dissipation and ductility. First the approach decides the alternative of numerous steel outriggers by a simple 2D analysis module and then the alternative is evaluated by 3D analysis module. Initial structural analyses of outrigger types are carried out through MIDAS Gen 2D modeling, approximately, and then the results appeal structural performance and lead to decide some alternative of outrigger types. ETABS 3D modeling is used with respect to realization and evaluation of exact structural behaviors. The approach reduces computational burden in compared to existing concepts such as full 3D analysis methods. The combined 2D and 3D tools are verified by cycle and displacement tests including comprehensive nonlinear dynamic simulations. The advantages and limitations of the Additive Performance Ratio Approach are highlighted in a case study on a high rise steel-composite building, which targets at designing the optimized alternative to the existing original outrigger for lateral load resisting system.
additive performance ratio method;structural analysis;steel outrigger;high-rise building;alternative;lateral load resisting system
- Ahmed, A.F. (2015), "Seismic analysis of 3-D two adjacent buildings connected by viscous dampers with effect of underneath different soil kinds", Smart Struct. Syst., Int. J., 15(5), 1293-1309. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.5.1293
- Akhaveissy, A.H. (2012), "Finite element nonlinear analysis of high-rise unreinforced masonry building", Latin Am. J. Solid. Struct., 9(5), 547-567.
- Ali, M.M. and Moon, K.S. (2007), "Structural developments in tall buildings: Current trends and future prospects", Architect. Sci. Rev., 50(3), 205-223. https://doi.org/10.3763/asre.2007.5027
- Cho, J.H. and Chung, K.R. (2011), "Country report: South Korea", CTBUH Journal, 4, 42-47.
- Computers and Structures (2013), ETABS 2013 Version 13.1.1 Release Notes; Computers and Structures, Inc., USA.
- Deason, J.Y., Tunc, G., Shahrooz, B.M. (2001), "Seismic design of connections between steel outrigger beams and reinforced concrete walls", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 1(3), 329-340. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2001.1.3.329
- El-Leithy, N.F., Hussein, M.M. and Attia, W. (2011), "Comparative study of structural systems for tall buildings", J. Am. Sci., 7(4), 707-719.
- Fatima, T., Fawzia, S. and Nasir, A. (2011), "Study of the effectiveness of outrigger system for high-rise composite buildings for cyclonic region", Proceedings of International Conference on Electrical, Computer, Electronics and Communication Engineering (ICECECE 2011), pp. 937-945.
- General Service Administration (2003), Progressive collapse analysis and design guidelines for new federal office buildings and major modernization projects; USA, June.
- Gerasimidis, S., Efthymiou, E. and Baniotopoulos, C.C. (2009), "Optimum outrigger locations of high-rise steel buildings for wind loading", Proceedings of the 5th European & African Conference on Wind Engineering (EACWE 5), Florence, Italy, July.
- Kim, J.K. and Lee, Y.H. (2010), "Progressive collapse resisting capacity of tube-type structures", The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 19(7), 761-777.
- Kim, S.W. and Lee, K.K. (2015), "Potentials of elastic seismic design of twisted high-rise steel diagrid frames", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 18(1), 121-134. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.18.1.121
- Kim, J. and Park, J. (2008), "Design of steel moment frames considering progressive collapse", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 8(1), 85-98. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2008.8.1.085
- Lee, D.K. and Shin, S.M. (2014), "Advanced high strength steel tube diagrid using TRIZ and nonlinear pushover analysis", J. Construct. Steel Res., 96, 151-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2014.01.005
- Lee, D.K., Kim, J.H., Starossek, U. and Shin, S.M. (2012), "Evaluation of structural outrigger belt truss layouts for tall buildings by using topology optimization", Struct. Eng. Mech., Int. J., 43(6), 711-724. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.43.6.711
- Lee, D.K., Lee, J.H., Kim, J.H. and Starossek, U. (2014), "Investigation on material layouts of structural diagrid frames by using topology optimization", KSCE J. Civil Eng., 18(2), 549-557. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-014-0107-0
- Lee, D.K., Shin, S.M., Lee, J.H. and Lee, K.H. (2015), "Layout evaluation of building outrigger truss by using material topology optimization", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 19(2), 263-275. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2015.19.2.263
- Lee, D.K., Kim, Y.W., Shin, S.M. and Lee J.H. (2016), "Real time response assessment in steel frame remodeling using position-adjustment drift-curve formulations", Automat. Construct., 62, 57-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2015.11.002
- Li, B., Duffield, C.F. and Hutchinson, G.L. (2008), "Simplified finite element modeling of multi-storey buildings: The use of equivalent cubes", Electron. J. Struct. Eng., 8, 40-45.
- MIDAS Information Technology (2011), Gen 2011 On-line manual-General structure design system; MIDAS Information Technology Co. Ltd.
- Osgoei, A.G. and Gerami, M. (2012), "Study of inter story drift demands of multi-story frames with RBS connection", Civil Environ. Res., 2(3), 19-30.
- Pekau, O.A., Lin, L. and Zielinski, Z.A. (1996), "Static and dynamic analysis of tall tube-in-tube structures by finite story method", Eng. Struct., 18(7), 515-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00136-0
- Raj Kiran Nanduri, P.M.B., Suresh, B. and Ihtesham Hussain, M.D. (2013), "Optimum position of outrigger system for high-rise reinforced concrete buildings under wind and earthquake loadings", Am. J. Eng. Res., 2(8), 76-89.
- Wilson, E.L. (2002), "Three-dimensional static and dynamic analysis of structures-A physical approach with emphasis on earthquake engineering", Computers and Structures, Inc., USA.
- Wu, J.R. and Li, Q.S. (2003), "Structural performance of multi-outrigger-braced tall buildings", The Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 12(2), 155-176. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.219
- Yang, L.H., Ma, F. and Hou, J.Z. (2012), "Based on the MIDAS GEN frame structure joints is just domain of values elastic-plastic static analysis", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Electronic & Mechanical Engineering and Information Technology (EMEIT-2012), Shenyang, China, September, pp. 423-427.
- Zeng, L.F. and Wiberg, N.E. (1989), "A generalized coordinate method for the analysis of 3D tall buildings", Comput. Struct., 33(6), 1365-1377. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(89)90477-X
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)