- Volume 17 Issue 4
Alkali-activated binder (AAB) is increasingly being considered as an eco-friendly and sustainable alternative to portland cement (PC). The present study evaluates 30 different AAB mixtures containing fly ash and/or slag activated by sodium hydroxide and sodium silicate by correlating their properties from micro to specimen level using regression. A model is developed to predict compressive strength of AAB as a function of volume fractions of microstructural phases (physicochemical properties) and ultrasonic pulse velocity (elastic properties and density). The predicted models are ranked and then compared with the experimental data. The correlations were found to be quite reasonable (R2 = 0.89) for all the mixtures tested and can be used to estimate the compressive strengths for similar AAB mixtures.
alkali-activated binder;compressive strength;prediction model
- Abd, S.M., Mohd. Zain, M.F. and Abdul Hamid, R. (2008), "Modeling the prediction of compressive strength for cement and foam concrete", International Conference of Construction and Building Technology (ICCBT 2008), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Arioglu, E. and Manzak, O. (1991), "Application of 'SonReb' method to concrete samples produced in yedpa construction site," Prefabrication Union, pp. 5-12. (in Turkish)
- Barbosa, V.F. and MacKenzie, K.J. (2003), "Synthesis and thermal behaviour of potassium sialate geopolymers", Mater. Lett., 57(9), 1477-1482. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-577X(02)01009-1
- Bellander, U. (1979), "NTD testing methods for estimating compressive strength in finished structuresevaluation of accuracy and testing system", RILEM Symposium Proceedings on Quality Control of Concrete Structures, Session 2.1, Swedish Concrete Research Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, 37-45.
- Davidovits, J. (1982), "Mineral polymers and methods of making them", US Patent 4,349,386
- Davidovits, J. (1991), "Geopolymers: Inorganic polymeric new materials", J. Therm. Anal., 37(8), 1633-1656. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01912193
- Davidovits, J. (1994), "Geopolymers: Inorganic polymeric new materials", J. Mater. Edu., 16, 91-139.
- De Larrard, F. (1999), Concrete mixture proportioning: A Scientific Approach, E&FN Spon, London.
- De Larrard, F. and Belloc, A. (1997), "The influence of aggregate on the compressive strength of normal and high-strength concrete", ACI Mater. J., 94(5), 417-426.
- Fernandez-Jimenez, A., de la Torre, A.G., Palomo, A., Lopez-Olmo, G., Alonso, M.M., Aranda, M.A.G., (2006), "Quantitative determination of phases in the alkaline activation of fly ash. Part II: Degree of reaction", Fuel, 85(14), 1960-1969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2006.04.006
- Hobbs, B. and Kebir, M.T. (2007), "Non-destructive testing techniques for the forensic engineering investigation of reinforced concrete buildings", Forensic Sci. Int., 167(2), 167-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.06.065
- Huang, Q., Gardoni, P. and Hurlebaus, S. (2011), "Predicting concrete compressive strength using ultrasonic pulse velocity and rebound number", ACI Mater. J., 108(4), 403-412.
- Kar, A., Halabe, U.B., Ray, I. and Unnikrishnan, A. (2013), "Nondestructive characterizations of Alkali activated fly ash and/or slag concrete", Eur. Sci. J., 9(24), 52-74.
- Kar, A., Ray, I., Halabe, U.B., Unnikrishnan, A. and Dawson-Andoh, B. (2014), "Characterizations and estimation of Alkali activated binder paste from microstructures", Int. J. Concrete Struct. Mater., 8(3), 213-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-014-0069-0
- Lee, W.K.W. and van Deventer, J.S.J. (2002), "Effects of anions on the formation of aluminosilicate gel in geopolymers", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 41(18), 4550-4558. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie0109410
- Liu, R., Wenshun, H. and Yonghon X. (2009), "Effect of crumb rumbler on the mechanical properties of concrete", J. Build. Mater., 12(3), 341-344.
- Panzera, T.H., Christoforo, A.L., Bowen, C.R., Cota, F.P. and Borges, P.H.R. (2011), Ultrasonic pulse velocity evaluation of cementitious materials, INTECH Open Access Publisher, September
- Provis, J.L. and van Deventer, J.S.J. (2009), Geopolymers: structure, processing, properties and industrial applications, Publisher: Oxford: Woodhead ; Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press.
- Ramyar, K. and Kol, P. (1996), "Destructive and non-destructive test methods for estimating the strength of concrete", Cement Concrete World (in Turkish) (2), 46-54.
- Rees, C., Lukey, G.C. and Van Deventer, J.S.J. (2004), "The role of solid silicates on the formation of geopolymers derived from coal ash", Proceedings of the International Symposium of Research Students on Material Science and Engineering, India, December.
- Shaikh, Faiz U.A. (2014), "Effects of alkali solutions on corrosion durability of geopolymer concrete", Adv. Concrete Constr., 2(2), 109-123. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.2.109
- Shi, C., Krivenko, P. and Roy, M. (2006), Alkali-activated cements and concretes, Taylor & Francis, London and New York.
- Smith, J.W. and Comrie, D.C. (1988), "Geopolymeric building materials in third world countries", Davidovits, J., Orlinski, J. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 1st Int. Conf. Geopolymer, 88, 89-92.
- Sriravindrajah, R., Loo, Y.H. and Tam, C.T. (1988), "Strength evaluation of recycled-aggregate concrete by in-situ tests", Mater. Struct., 21(4), 289-295. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02481828
- Tanigawa, Y., Baba, K. and Mori, H. (1984), "Estimation of concrete strength by combined nondestructive testing method", Special Publication, 82, 57-76.
- Van Jaarsveld, J.G.S. (2000), "The physical and chemical characterisation of fly ash based geopolymers", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Wiebenga, J.G. (1968), "A comparison between various combined non-destructive testing methods to derive the compressive strength of concrete", Report kB1-68-61/1418, Inst. TNO Veor Bouwmaterialen en Bouwconstructies, Delft, the Netherlands.
- Zahira, S.N. and Aissa, A. (2015), "Modeling the alkali aggregate reaction expansion in concrete", Comput. Concrete, 16(1), 37-48. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.1.037