- Volume 1 Issue 2
In this article, hybridization of enhanced colliding bodies optimization (ECBO) with upper bound strategy (UBS) that is called UECBO is proposed for optimum design of truss structures with frequency constraints. The distinct feature of the proposed algorithm is that it requires less computational time while preserving the good accuracy of the ECBO. Four truss structures with frequency limitations selected from the literature are studied to verify the viability of the algorithm. This type of problems is highly non-linear and non-convex. The numerical results show the successful performance of the UECBO algorithm in comparison to the CBO, ECBO and some other metaheuristic optimization methods.
optimum design;enhanced colliding bodies optimization;upper bound strategy;truss structures;frequency constraints
- Bellagamba, L. and Yang, T.Y. (1981), "Minimum mass truss structures with constraints on fundamental natural frequency", AIAA J., 19(11), 1452-1458. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.7875
- Degertekin, S.O. (2008), "Harmony search algorithm for optimum design of steel frame structures: a comparative study with other optimization methods", Struct. Eng. Mech., 29(4), 391-410. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.29.4.391
- Dorigo, M., Maniezzo, V. and Colorni, A. (1996), "The ant system: optimization by a colony of cooperating agents", IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cybern., 26(1), 29-41. https://doi.org/10.1109/3477.484436
- Goldberg, D.E. (1989), Genetic algorithms in search optimization and machine learning, Boston: Addison-Wesley.
- Gomes, H.M. (2011), "Truss optimization with dynamic constraints using a particle swarm algorithm", Expert Syst. Appl., 38(1), 957-968. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2010.07.086
- Grandhi, R.V. and Venkayya, V.B. (1988), "Structural optimization with frequency constraints", AIAA J., 26(7), 858-66. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.9979
- Holland, J.H. (1975), Adaptation in natural and artificial systems, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Karaboga, D. and Basturk, B. (2007), "A powerful and efficient algorithm for numerical function optimization: artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm", J. Global Optim., 39(3), 459-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10898-007-9149-x
- Kaveh, A. (2014), Advances in metaheuristic algorithms for optimal design of structures, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Kaveh, A., Fahimi-Farzam, M. and Kalateh-Ahani, M. (2015), "Optimum design of steel frame structures considering construction cost and seismic damage", Smart Struct. Syst., 16(1), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.1.001
- Kaveh, A. and Ilchi Ghazaan, M. (2014a), "Enhanced colliding bodies optimization for design problems with continuous and discrete variables", Adv. Eng. Softw., 77, 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2014.08.003
- Kaveh, A. and Ilchi Ghazaan, M. (2014b), "Enhanced colliding bodies algorithm for truss optimization with frequency constraints", J. Comput. Civ. Eng., ASCE, 29(6), 04014104.
- Kaveh, A. and Ilchi Ghazaan, M. (2015), "Hybridization of ECBO and UBS for Optimum design of skeletal structures", submitted for publication.
- Kaveh, A. and Khayatazad, M. (2012), "A new meta-heuristic method: ray optimization", Comput. Struct., 112, 283-294.
- Kaveh, A. and Mahdavi, V.R. (2014), "Colliding Bodies Optimization method for optimum design of truss structures with continuous variables", Adv. Eng. Softw., 70, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2014.01.002
- Kaveh, A. and Talatahari, S. (2012), "Charged system search for optimal design of frame structures", Appl. Soft Comput., 12(1), 382-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2011.08.034
- Kaveh, A. and Zolghadr, A. (2012), "Truss optimization with natural frequency constraints using a hybridized CSS-BBBC algorithm with trap recognition capability", Comput. Struct., 102, 14-27.
- Kaveh, A. and Zolghadr, A. (2014), "Democratic PSO for truss layout and size optimization with frequency constraints", Comput. Struct., 130, 10-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2013.09.002
- Kazemzadeh Azad, S. and Hasancebi, O. (2015), "Computationally efficient discrete sizing of steel frames via guided stochastic search heuristic", Comput. Struct., 156, 12-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2015.04.009
- Kazemzadeh Azad, S., Hasancebi, O. and Kazemzadeh Azad, S. (2013), "Upper bound strategy for metaheuristic based design optimization of steel frames", Adv. Eng. Softw., 57, 19-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2012.11.016
- Kennedy, J. and Eberhart, R.C. (1995), "Particle swarm optimization", Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference Neural Network, 1942-8.
- Li, G., Lu, H. and Liu, X. (2010), "A hybrid simulated annealing and optimality criteria method for optimum design of RC buildings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 35(1), 19-35. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.35.1.019
- Lingyun, W., Mei, Z., Guangming, W. and Guang M. (2005), "Truss optimization on shape and sizing with frequency constraints based on genetic algorithm", Comput. Mech., 35(5), 361-368. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00466-004-0623-8
- Miguel, L.F.F. and Fadel Miguel L.F. (2012), "Shape and size optimization of truss structures considering dynamic constraints through modern meta-heuristic algorithms", Expert Syst. Appl., 39(10), 9458-9467. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.02.113
- Mirjalili, S. (2015), "The ant lion optimizer", Adv. Eng. Softw., 83, 80-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2015.01.010
- Nigdeli, S.M., Bekdas, G., Kim, S. and Geem, Z.W. (2015), "A novel harmony search based optimization of reinforced concrete biaxially loaded columns", Struct. Eng. Mech., 54(6), 1097-1109. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.6.1097
- Sedaghati, R. (2005), "Benchmark case studies in structural design optimization using the force method", Int. J. Solids Struct., 42(21), 5848-5871. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2005.03.030
- Sheikhi, M. and Ghoddosian, A. (2013), "A hybrid imperialist competitive ant colony algorithm for optimum geometry design of frame structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 46(3), 403-416. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.3.403
- Tang, H., Zhang, W., Xie, L. and Xue, S. (2013), "Multi-stage approach for structural damage identification using particle swarm optimization", Smart Struct. Syst., 11(1), 69-86. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.11.1.069
- Wang, D., Zhang, W.H., and Jiang, J.S. (2004), "Truss optimization on shape and sizing with frequency constraints", AIAA J., 42(3), 622-630. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.1711
- Yang, X.S. (2010), “Firefly algorithm, stochastic test functions and design optimization”, Int. J. Bio-InspiredComput., 2(2), 78-84. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBIC.2010.032124
- Yang, X.S. and Deb, S. (2010), “Engineering optimisation by cuckoo search”, Int. J. Math. Model. Numer.Optim., 1(4), 330-343.