- Volume 1 Issue 2
The usage of sandwich structure is extensively increasing in lightweight protective structures due to its low density and other useful properties. Sandwich panels made of metal sheets with unfilled cellular cores are found to exhibit lower deflections by comparing to an equivalent monolithic plate of same metal and similar mass per unit density. However, the process of localized impact on solid structures involving plastic deformation, high strain rates, temperature effect, material erosion, etc. does not hold effectively as that of monolithic plate. In present work, the applications of the sandwich plate with corrugated core have been extended to develop optimized lightweight armour using foam as medium of its core by explicit finite element analysis (FEA). The mechanisms of hardened steel projectile penetration of aluminum corrugated sandwich panels filled with foams have been numerically investigated by finite element analysis (FEA). A comparative study is done for the triangular corrugated sandwich plate filled with polymeric foam and metallic foam with different densities in order to achieve the optimum penetration resistance to ballistic impact. Corrugated sandwich plates filled with metallic foams are found to be superior when compared to the polymeric one. The optimized results are then compared with that of equivalent solid and unfilled cores structure to observe the effectiveness of foam-filled corrugated sandwich plate which provides an effective resistance to ballistic response. The novel structure can be the alternative to solid aluminum plate in the applications of light weight protection system.
corrugated plate;explicit;FEA;foam;impact;residual velocity;sandwich
- ABAQUS Version 6.12, ABAQUS/Explicit user's manual, Hibbit, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc.,
- Ali, Ghamarian, Hamid, Reza Zarei and Mohammad, Taha Abadi (2011), "Experimental and numerical crashworthiness investigation of empty and foam-filled end-capped conical tubes", Thin Wall Struct., 49(10), 1312-1319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2011.03.005
- Carlucci, P., Haynes, A.S. and Mellini, M.A. (2009), "Impact analysis and dynamic response of a 40 mm sensor grenade", SIMULIA Customer Conference.
- Chang,Wan-Shu (2004), "Elasto-plastic analysis of corrugated sandwich steel panel", Ph.D. Thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, USA.
- Cho, Jae Ung, Hong, Soon Jik, Lee, Sang Kyo and Cho, Chongdu, (2012), "Impact fracture behavior at the material of aluminum foam", Mater. Sci. Eng. A-Struct., 539, 250-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.01.091
- Dahiwale, N.B., Panigrahi, S.K. and Akella, K. (2015), "Numerical analyses of sandwich panels with triangular core subjected to impact loading", J. Sandwich Struct. Mater., 17(3), 238-257. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636214565190
- Gama, B.A., Bogetti, T.A., Fink, B.K., Yu, C.J., Claar, T.D. Eifert, H.H. and Gillespie, J.W. (2001), "Aluminum foam integral armor: a new dimension in armor design", Compos. Struct., 52(3), 381-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(01)00029-0
- Gupta, N.K. and Madhu, V. (1997), "An experimental study of normal and oblique impact of hard-core projectile on single and layered plates", Int. J. Impact Eng., 19(5), 395-414. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(97)00001-8
- Han, Moon Sik and Cho, Jae Ung (2014), "Impact damage behavior of sandwich composite with aluminum foam core", Trans. Nonferrous Metal. Sci. China, 24, s42-s46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(14)63286-6
- Lu, G., Shen, J., Hou, W., Ruan, D. and Ongb, L. (2008), "Dynamic indentation and penetration of aluminium foams", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 50(5), 932-943. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2007.09.006
- Marsico, T.A., Denney, P.E. and Furio, A. (1993), "Laser welding of lightweight structural steel panels", Proceedings of the laser materials processing conference, ICALEO'93, Olrando, USA.
- Mohamed, R., Ahmed, A., Ahmed, M. Elgalib and Ali, H., (2014), "Low velocity impact properties of foam sandwich composites: A brief review", Int. J. Eng. Sci. Inov. Tech. (IJESIT), 4(3), 579-591.
- Piekutowski, A.J., Forrestal, M.J. and Poormon, K.L. (1996), "Perforation of aluminium plateswith ogivenose steel rods at normal and oblique impacts", Int. J. Impact Eng., 18(7), 877-888. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(96)00011-5
- Santosa, Sigit, P., Wierzbicki, Tomasz, Hanssen Arve, G. and Langseth, Magnus (2000), "Experimental and numerical studies of foam-filled sections", Int. J. Impact. Eng., 24(5), 509-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(99)00036-6
- Victor, Iliev Rizov (2007), "Low velocity localized impact study of cellular foams", Mater. Des., 28(10), 2632-2640. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2006.09.023
- Wadley, H.N.G., Dharmasena, K.P., O'Masta, M.R. and Wetzel, J.J. (2013), "Impact response of aluminum corrugated core sandwich panels", Int. J. Impact Eng., 62, 114-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2013.06.005
- Weihong, Hou, Feng, Zhu, Guoxing, Lu and Dai-Ning, Fang (2010), "Ballistic impact experiments of metallic sandwich panels with aluminiumfoam core", Int. J. Impact. Eng., 37(10), 1045-1055. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2010.03.006
- Wiernicki, J.C., Liem, F., Woods, G.D. and Furio, A.J. (1991), "Structural analysis method for lightweight metallic corrugated-core sandwich panels subjected to blast loads", Naval Eng. J., 103(3), 192-202.
- Zhang, Jianxun, Qin, Qinghua and Wang, T.J. (2013), "Compressive strengths and dynamic response of corrugated metal sandwich plates with unfilled and foam-filled sinusoidal plate cores", Acta Mech., 224(4), 759-777. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00707-012-0770-5
- Zhou, D.W. and Stronge, W.J. (2008), "Ballistic limit for oblique impact of thin sandwich panels and spaced plates", Int. J. Impact Eng., 35(11), 1339-1354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2007.08.004