- Volume 1 Issue 2
This paper presents a method of design for the energy harvesting of a piezoelectric cantilever beam. Vibration modes have strain nodes where the strain distribution changes in the direction of the beam length. Covering the strain nodes of the vibration modes with continuous electrodes effects a cancellation of the voltages outputs. The use of segmented electrodes avoids cancellations of the voltage for multi-mode vibration. The resistive load affects the voltage and generated power. The optimum resistive load is considered for segmented and continuous electrodes, and then the power output is verified. One of the effective parameters on energy harvesting performance is the existence of concentrated mass. This topic is studied in this paper. Resonance and off-resonance cases are considered for the harvester. In this paper, both theoretical and experimental methods are used for satisfactory results.
energy harvesting;strain nodes;generated power;vibration modes
- Crawley, E.F. and Luis, J. (1987), "Use of piezoelectric actuators as elements of intelligent structured", AIAA J., 25(10), 1373-1385. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.9792
- Elvin, A. and Choi, D.H. (2003), "A self-powered damage detection sensor", Strain Anal. Eng., 38(2), 115-124. https://doi.org/10.1243/030932403321163640
- Erturk, A. and Inman, J. (2008), "Issues in mathematical modeling of piezoelectric energy harvesters", Smart Master Struct., 17(6), 065016. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/17/6/065016
- Gammaitoni, L., Neri, I. and Vocca, H. (2010), "The benefits of noise and nonlinearity: extracting energy from random vibrations", Chemical Physics., 375(2), 435-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemphys.2010.08.012
- Granstrom, J., Feenstra, J., Sodano, A. and Farinholt, K. (2007), "Energy harvesting from backpack Instrumented with Piezoelectric Shoulder Straps", Smart Master. Struct., 16(5), 1810-1820. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/16/5/036
- Guan, M.J. and Liao, W.H. (2007), "On the efficiencies of piezoelectric energy harvesting circuits towards storage device voltages", Smart Master Struct., 16(2), 498-505. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/16/2/031
- Jeon, Y.B., Sood, R., Jeong, J. and Kim, S.G. (2005), "MEMS power generator with transverse mode thin film PZT", Sens. Actuator A., 122(1), 16-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2004.12.032
- Lee, S., Youn, B.D. and Jung, B.C. (2009), "Robust segment type energy harvester and its application to a wireless sensor", Smart Master Struct., 18(9), 095021. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/18/9/095021
- Leland, E.S., Lai, E.M. and Wright, A. (2004), "A self-powered wireless sensor for indoor environmental monitoring", Proceedings of WNCG Conference, Aust in, TX.
- Nuffer, J. and Bein, T. (2006), "Application of piezoelectric materials in transportation industry", Innovative Solutions for the Advancement of the Transport Industry.
- Ottman, K., Hofmann, H.F., Bhatt, A.C. and Lesieutre, G.A. (2002), "Adaptive piezoelectric energy harvesting circuit for wireless remote power supply", IEEE Trans. Power Elect., 17(5), 669-676 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.802194
- Renno, J.M, Daqaq, M.F. and Inman D.J. (2009), "On the optimal energy harvesting from a vibration source", J. Sound Vib., 320(1), 386-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2008.07.029
- Rupp, C.J., Evgrafov, A., Maute, K. and Dunn, M. (2009), "Design of piezoelectric energy harvesting systems: A topology optimization approach based on multilayer plates and shells", J. Intel. Master. Syst. Struct., 20(16), 1923-1939. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X09341200
- Shen, D., Choe, S.Y. and Kim, D.J. (2007), "Analysis of piezoelectric materials for energy harvwsting devices under high vibrations", J. App1. Phys., 46(10A), 6755-6760. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.46.6755
- Xu, T.B., Siochi. E.J., Kang, J.H., Zuo, L., Zhou, W., Tang, X. and Jiang, X. (2013), "Energy harvesting using a PZT ceramic multilayer stack", Smart Mater Struct., 22(6), 065015. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/6/065015
- Zheng, B., Chang, C.J. and Gea, H.C. (2009), "Topology optimization of energy harvesting devices using piezoelectric materials", Struct. Multidicip. Optim., 38(1), 17-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-008-0265-0