- Volume 1 Issue 2
Dams play a vital role in the development and sustainment in a country. Failure of dams leads to the catastrophic event with sudden release of water and is of great concern. Hence earthquake-resistant design of dams is of prime importance. The present study involves static, modal and transient analyses of dam-reservoir-foundation system using finite element software ANSYS 15. The dam and the foundation are modeled with 2D plane strain element "PLANE 42" and the reservoir by fluid acoustic element "FLUID 29" with proper consideration of fluid-structure interaction. An expression for the fundamental period of concrete dams is developed based on modal analysis. Seismic response of gravity dams subjected to earthquake acceleration is evaluated in terms of peak displacement and stress.
gravity dam;earthquake;fundamental period;fluid structure interaction;reservoir
- Akkose, M. and Simsek, E. (2010), "Non-linear seismic response of concrete gravity dams to near-fault ground Motions including Da-Water-Sediment-Foundation Interaction", Appl. Math. Model., 34(11), 3685-3700. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2010.03.019
- Akpinar, U., Binici, B. and Arici, Y. (2014), "Earthquake stresses and effective damping in concrete gravity dams", Earthq. Struct., 6(3), 251-266. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.3.251
- ASCE 7 (2005), Minimum design loads for buildings and other structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, USA.
- Altunisik, A.C. and Sesli, H. (2015), "Dynamic response of concrete gravity dams using different water modelling approaches: westergaard, lagrange and euler", Comput. Concrete, 16(3), 429-448. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2015.16.3.429
- Berrabah, T. (2011), "Modal behavior of Dam Reservoir Foundation System", EJGE, 1593-1601.
- Bhattacharjee, S.S. and Leger, P. (1996), "Seismic cacking and energy dissipation in concrete gravity dams", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 22(11), 991-1007.
- Brijesh, S. and Agarwal, P. (2009), "Seismic response of high concrete gravity dam including dam-reservoir foundation effect", J. South Asia Disaster Studies, 2, 41-57.
- BIS IS 1893 (Part 1)-2002: Indian Standard Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of structures, Part-1-General Provisions and Building (Fifth Revision), Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Chopra, A.K. and Gupta, S. (1982), "Hydrodynamic and foundation interaction effects in frequency response functions for concrete gravity dams", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 10(1), 89-106. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100107
- Hariri-Ardebilin, M.A., Seyed-Kolbadi, S.M. and Mirzabozorg, H. (2013), "A smeared crack model for seismic failure analysis of concrete gravity dams considering fracture energy effects", Struct. Eng. Mech., 48(1), 17-39. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.48.1.017
- Hou, H. Wang, J. and Layton, A. (2012), "Numerical methods for fluid-structure interaction-A review", Commun. Comput. Phys., 12(2), 337-377. https://doi.org/10.4208/cicp.291210.290411s
- Khosravi, S.H. and Heydari, M.M. (2013), "Modeling of concrete dam including dam-wWater-rock interaction", World Appl. Sci. J., 22(4), 538-546.
- Khosravi, S.H. (2011), "Optimum of concrete gravity dams with dynamic constraints and considering Damreservoir-Foundation rock interaction", MS Thesis, Islamic Azad University of kerman.
- Lokke, A. (2013), "Earthquake analysis of concrete gravity dams", Master Thesis, Norwegian of Science and Technology.
- Lotfi, V. (2003), "Seismic analysis of concrete gravity dams by decoupled modal approach in time domain", Electron. J. Struct. Eng., 3, 102-116.
- Sances, D.J. and Gangadharan, S.N. (2010), "CFD fuel slosh modeling of Fluid-structure interaction in spacecraft propellant tanks with diaphragms", 51st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Sarkar, R., Paul, D.K. and Stempniewski, L. (2007), "Influence of reservoir and foundation on the nonlinear dynamic response of concrete gravity dams", J. Earthq. Technol., 44(2), 377-389.
- Skrikerud, P.E. and Bachmann, H. (1986), "Discrete crack modeling for dynamically loaded unreinforced concrete structures", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 14(2), 297-315. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290140209
- Thanoon, H. (2008), "Nonlinear analysis of fracture mechanism of roller compacted concrete dam", Ph.D. Thesis, University Putra, Malaysia.
- Valestos, A.S. and Yang, Y.J. (1976), "Dynamics of fixed base liquid storage tanks", Proceedings of USJapan Seminar for Earthquake Engineering Research with Emphasis on Lifeline Systems, Tokyo, Japan.
- Verma, G., Verma, M.K. and Tripathi, R.K. (2013), "Dynamic analysis of Hirakud Dam due to seismic forces", Global J. Res. Eng., 13(1).
- Patra, P. (2014), "Development methodology for seismic design of concrete gravity dam", Thesis report, NIT Rourkela.
- Prediction Equations for the Fundamental Period and Mode Shape of Roller Compacted Concrete Gravity Dams considering Three Dimensional Geometry Effects pp.1559-808X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2018.1532357