- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effects of the Communication Accompanied with Music Therapy on the Anxiety of the Patients during the MRI Examination
MRI 검사 시 음악요법을 동반한 의사소통이 환자의 불안에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.12.11
- Accepted : 2016.03.03
- Published : 2016.03.31
This study examined effects of the communication accompanied with music therapy on the anxiety of patients during a MRI examination. In the experiment group consisting of thirty patients and the control group consisting of thirty patients, the experiment was performed from February 1st 2014 to March 31st 2014 in hospital C located in Daegu Korea. The research design was a non-equivalent control group quasi-experimental study. The results showed that the anxiety score (VAS score) on communication with music therapy of the experimental group was significantly lower (p=.001), than that of the control group. Among the vital signs, the blood pressure was similar in both groups. On the other hand, the pulse rate of the experiment group was significantly lower (p=.001). Four categories of the physical discomfort (perspiration, facial change, change in physical posture, and change in vocal sound) did not show any statistically significant difference between the control and experiment group. Among the mental discomforts, dizziness did not have a significant difference between the experiment group and the control group, but the experimental group had significantly low fear (p=.001) and anxiety (p=.001). From the above results, communication accompanying music therapy proves is an effective alternative examination method that reduces the anxiety of patients.
Anxiety;Distress;Vital sign;Music Therapy;MRI Examination
- Y. H. Park, "Comparison of Claustrophobia, Noise Sensitivity and Vital Signs according to Anxiety Sensitivity Level before and after MRI", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 20(6), pp. 950-959, 2008
- Y. Jeong, M. S. Kim, M. H. Cho, "A Study on the Effect of on Instructional Information given to the Anxieties of MRI Patients", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 4(1), pp. 137-146, 1999.
- Y. S. Kim, S. S. Lee, K. D. Ahn, B. K. Lee, "A Study of Claustrophobia of Patients during MRI Examination", Soonchunhyang Journal of Industrial Medicine., 7(1), pp. 13-24, 2001.
- J. C. Jo, "A Study on the Correlation between Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Body Mass Index", Unpublished mater's thesis, Graduate School of Public Health Science Eulji University, Daejeon, 2009.
- H. O. Song, C. H. Lim, 'The study on patients and radiological technologists of noise effects generated during MRI scanning", International Journal of Contents workshop journal, 2015(5), pp. 153-154, 2015.
- J. B. Kim, "The effect of music listening on anxiety and Vital signs of patients undergoing Magnetic Resonance Imaging", Unpublished mater's thesis, Chonnam National University, Kwangju, 2005.
- Y. H. Yoon, S. H. Kim, H. J. Lee, J. H. Lee, H. T. Kim, "The effects of task stressor, noise, stimulus, conifer needle odor and soundguard on SCR, HR, PPG and behavioral performance", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 16(2), pp. 435-445, 1997.
- F. D. McGlynn, R. Karg, S. R. Lawyer, "Fear responses magnetic resonance imaging among college students toward a prototype experiment", Journal of Anxiety disorders, 17, pp. 335-347, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0887-6185(02)00204-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0887-6185(02)00204-9
- F. D. McGlynn, T. A. Smitherman, J. C. Hammel, A. A. Lazarte, "Component fear of claustrophobia associated with mock magnetic resonance imaging", Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 21, pp. 367-380, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2006.06.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2006.06.003
- M. E. Quirk, A. J. Latendre, R. A. Ciottone, J. F. Lingley, "Evaluation of three psychologic interventions to reduce anxiety during MR imaging", Radiology, 173(3), 759-762, 1989. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1148/radiology.173.3.2682775 https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.173.3.2682775
- The Korean Society of MR Technology, "MR Technology", pp. 159-161, Seoul, Daehakseolim, 2000.
- K. J. Lee, J. S. Won, S. A. Kim, S. J. Kim, S. Lee, "Psychoiatric-mental health nursing(6)", pp. 17-898, Paju, Soomoonsa, 2011.
- C. J. Kim, H. K. Hur, "Coping Style and Trait Anxiety in Cardiac Catherization Patiens", Journal of Korean Academic Nursing, 35(1), pp. 8-93, 1996.
- I. S. Dong, "Effect of Music Therapy on Anxiety and Distress in Patients Undergoing Bronchoscopy", Unpublished mater's thesis, Chonnam National University, Kwangju, 2006.
- E. H. Jang, K. S. Choi, S. J. Kwon, "A meta-analysis of intervention on depression in cancer patients", Asian Oncology Nursing, 13(1), pp. 1-10, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.1.1 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.1.1
- J. Y. Kim, Y. S. Kim, "The effects of listening-centered and singing-centered single-session music therapy intervention on pain, anxiety, and depression of the gynecologic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy", KJMT, 12(3), pp. 1-18, 2010.
- M. S. Lee, "The effect of music therapy on anxiety, depression in breast cancer patients", KJMT, 7(1), pp. 1-25, 2008.
- Y. J. Kim, N. S. Seo, "Effects of progressive muscle relaxation on nausea, vomiting, fatigue, anxiety, and depression in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy", Asian Oncology Nursing, 10(2), pp. 171-9, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2010.10.2.171
- J. M. White, "State of the science of music interventions and perioperative practice", Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America, 12, pp. 219-225, 2000.
- C. D. Spielberger, R. L. Gorsuch, R. E. Lushene, "Manual for the state trait anxiety inventory", Palo Alto, CA, Consulting Psychologist Press, 1970.
- J. T. Kim, D. K. Shin, "A Study Based on the Standardization of the STAI for Korea", New Medical Journal, 21(11), pp. 69-75, 1978.
- M. E. Cline, J. Herman, E. R. Shaw, R. D. Morton, "Standardization of the Visual Analogue Scale", Nursing research, 41(6), pp. 378-380, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199211000-00013
- E. Mclachlan, "Recognizing Pain", American Journal of Nursing, 74(3), pp. 496-497, 1974. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/3469643
- H. J. Suh, "Effects of Relaxation Technique on Anxiety and Distress of Patients with Gastrofibroscopy" Unpublished mater's thesis, Ewha University, Seoul, 1990.
- J. E. Johnson, "Sensory of destress components of pain implication for the study of clinical pain", Nursing Research, 26(3), pp. 203-208, 1972.
- B. K. Jeon, J. D. Yeo, "Effects of Music Therapy on the Anxiety of Patients who Take the Magnetic Resonance Imaging(MRI) Test", The Korea Contents Society, 11(6), pp. 289-301, 2011.
- S. A. Ezzone, C. A. Baker, R. Rosselet, E. Terepka, " Music as an adjunct to antiemetic therapy", Oncology Nursing Forum, 25(9), pp. 1551-1557, 1998.
- J. L. Yang, M. Y. Noh, K. H. Yang, "Effect of favorite music therapy on anxiety and vital sign in patients undergoing gynecologic surgery using the general anesthesia", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 16(2), pp. 1189-1199, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1189 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1189
- G. S. Jeong, M. H. Kim, "Effect of music thetapy on anxiety, blood pressure, heart rate and glucose levels of patients undergoing surgery during spinal anesthesia", J Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 22(1), pp. 25-34, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.1.25 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.1.25
- H. M. Jung, M. Y. Park, S. J. Lee, N. H. Kim, "Effect of preferred music in anxiety, vital sigh and blood sugar of surgical patients undergoing operation using spinal anesthesia", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 20(1), pp. 9-20, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2014.20.1.9 https://doi.org/10.14370/jewnr.2014.20.1.9
- I. S. Kim, H. S. Kim, M. H. Lee, "Effects of music therapy on anxiety and distress in patients taking thoracentesis", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 17(2), pp. 102-109, 2011.
- Y. Park, M. S. Hong, "The Effects of Music Therapy in the Reduction of Anxiety and Discomfort on Patients Undergoing Gastrofibroscopy", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 15(1), pp. 67-77, 2003.
- J. J. Nam, "The effect of music therapy on reduction of anxiety and distress in the patients during urodynamicstudy" Unpublished master's thesis, Daejeon University, Daejeon, 2007.
- S. H. Huh, "The effects of music therapy on reduction of anxiety and distress in the patients during cystoscopy", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2005.
- B. Ksthy, C. Debbie, C. Kathy, E. T. Joan, "Effect of patients-controlled music therapy during coronary angiography on procedural pain and anxiety distress syndrome", Clinical Care Nurse, 23(2), pp. 50-57, 2003.
- S. Dainne, T. Robert, S. Lynda, "The effect of self-selected music during colonscopy on anxiety, heart rate, and blood pressure", Applied Nursing Research, 16(2), pp. 126-136, 2002.
- E. J. Park, "The effect of music therapy on the anxiety and the vital sign of patients with LASIK surgery under local anesthesia", Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeonsang University, Jinju, 2002.
- J. Choi, "The effect of music therapy on anxiety and depression in patients undergoing hemodialysis", Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, 1996.
- S. Leardi, R Pietroletti, G. Angeloni, S. Necozione, G. Ranalletta, B. Del Gusto, "Randomized clinical trial examining the effect of music therapy in stress response to day surgery", British Journal of Surgery, 94(8), pp. 943-947, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.5914 https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.5914
- J. A. Kim, "Effects of music therapy on pain and depression of musculoskeletal trauma patients", The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 1(1), pp. 48-70, 1994.
- Y. O. Kim, J. H. Kim, "Effects of types of music in music therapy on anxiety and vital signs of surgical patients undergoing operation using spinal anesthesis", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 13(2), pp. 149-155, 2011.