- Volume 17 Issue 3
This study structurally analyzes the relations between children's pet attachment, empathy ability, and prosociality. The results are used to investigate the relations between pet attachment and empathy ability, which have recently emerged as important variables that affect children's prosociality. Data were collected about pet attachment, empathy ability, and prosociality from 209 elementary students in Daejeon who had experience with raising pets. SPSS 22.0 software was used for descriptive statistical analysis, correlation analysis, and reliability analysis, and AMOS 22.0 was used for confirmatory factor analysis and to examine the structural equation model. According to the analyses, children's pet attachment did not affect their prosociality but did influence their empathy ability. Children's empathy ability affected their prosociality and had a mediating effect on the relation between their pet attachment and prosociality. The results indicate that children's pet attachment and empathy ability are essential factors that influence prosociality. To improve prosociality, efforts should be made increase pet attachment and empathy ability. The study results can be used as a theoretical and practical fundamental basis for plans to improve children's pet attachment, empathy ability, and prosociality.
- APPMA, "(the) American Pet Products Manufacturers Association", 2001/2002, Appma national pet owners survey, 2002.
- PETNET, "Pet wonership in Australia Retrieved May 1. 2004, from http://www.petnet.com.au/statistics.html, 2003.
- FEDIAF, "Facts & Figures. Retrieved May 1, 2004, from http://www.fediaf.org/gentree.htm, 2004.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Reported News, 12.17, 2015.
- S. J. Ma, "Pet Animal Ownership and Interaction of Elementary School Students", Journal of Korean practical arts education, 17(2), 191-208. 2004.
- W. O. Choi, "(The) Effect of experience learning of raising pet animals on a social and emotional development of an elementary student", Graduate School of Education Korea National University of Education Chung-Buk, 2007.
- K. H. Kim, H. S. Kim, "Pets raising activities and effective teaching methods of influence on a child thread and Related Sections", Proceedings of the Korea Society for Arts Education. 1, 165-165, 2015.
- Y. S. Kim, "Pets cultivate and loneliness and peer relationships of children", Sookmyung Women's University, Master's Thesis, 2003.
- H. K. Lee, "Personal roles and separation of acceptance and empathy through role", Hanyang University Ph.D thesis, 1999.
- M. R. Kim, "The Effects of Middle School Students' Perceived Achievement Pressure and Empathy Ability on Psychological Well-being and Prosocial Behavior", Graduate School of Education Hanyang University, 2009.
- H. I. Jo, M. H. Lee, "The Mediating Effect of Prosocial Behavior in the Relation between Empathic Ability and Psychological Well-being", Korean journal of youth studies, 17(11), 140-159, 2010.
- Eisenberg, N. & Mussen, P. H, "The roots of prosocial behavior in children", Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Hoffman, M. L., "Development of prosocial motivation: Empathy and guilt", In N. Eisenberg(ED.), The Development of prosocial behavior, New York: Academis Psychology Bullein, 4, 399-413. 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-12-234980-5.50016-x
- Eisenberg, N, "Altruistc emotion cognition and behavior", Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, 1986.
- K. S. Kim, H. Y. Kim, "The Effects of Empathy Education Program on Children's Empathy Ability and Emotional Intelligence", The Journal of Elementary Education, 22(4), 275-300, 2009.
- I. H. Choi, H. M. Kim, "The Effects of Empathic Ability, Parental Attachment, on School Adjustment of Elementary School Children", Journal of Korea East-West Psychiatry, 17(1), 113-116, 2014.
- M. O. Baek, S. W. Lee, "Effects of the Experiential Learning Program of the Group Raising a Pet on the Social Development and the Quality of Peer Relationships of Elementary School Students", Journal of Korean practical arts education, 24(2), 83-103, 2011.
- H. J. Cho, N. H. Sohn, "Empathy and Altruistic Behavior", Korea Journal of Counseling, 7(1), 1-9, 2006.
- H. K. Shin, "The children's pro-sociality about the pet-breeding experience", The Graduate School of Education Sookmyung Women's University, 2003.
- K. E. Shin, W. Y. Jeon, "The Effect of Pet Priming on Prosocial Behavior", The Korean Psychological Association, 8, 347-347, 2015.
- N. S. Shin, "Pet impact on child development" Journal of the Korean Veterinary Medical Association, 34(9), 650-655, 1998.
- S, J. Ma, "Educational Intrinsic Values of the 'Fostering Companion Animal' Lesson in Practical Arts Subject" Journal of Korean practical arts education, 17(1), 187-197, 2004.
- Daly, B., & Morton, L. L, "An investigation of human animal interactions and empathy as related to pet preference, ownership, attachment, and attitudes in children", Anthrozoos: A Multidisciplinary Journal of The Interactions of People & Animals, 19(2), 113-127, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2752/089279306785593801 https://doi.org/10.2752/089279306785593801
- Poresky, R. H. "Companion animals and other factors affecting young children's development", Anthrozoos: A Multidisciplinary Journal of The Interactions of People & Animals, 9(4), 159-168, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2752/089279396787001437 https://doi.org/10.2752/089279396787001437
- Vidovic, V. V., S˘tetic, V. V., & Bratko, D, "Pet ownership, type of pet and socio-emotional development of school children. Anthrozoos: A Multidisciplinary Journal of The Interactions of People & Animals, 12(4), 211-217, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2752/089279399787000129 https://doi.org/10.2752/089279399787000129
- Melson, G.F., Peet, S. & Sparks, C, "Children's attachment to their pets: links to socio-emotional development", Children's Environments Quarterly, 8(2), 55-65, 1991.
- Douglas, Deanna K, "Benefits to Pets from the Human-animal Bond: A Study of pet Owner Behaviors and Their Relation to Attachment," Doctoral Dissertation, Wichita State University, 2005.
- Davis, M. H, "A multidimensional approach to individual differences in empathy", JSAS Catalog of Selected Documents in Psychology, 10, 85, 1980.
- Eisenberg, N., & Miller, P. A, "The relation of empathy to prosaical and related behaviors", Psychological Bulletin, 101, 91-119, 1989.
- Bar-Tal, D. "Further evidence regarding the sequential development of helping behavior: Paper presented at the Bienntal Conference of the International Society for the Study of Behavior Development", ED, 180-592, 1979. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.101.1.91
- C. J. Park, "The Effects of the Activity-Based Character Development Program on School Adjustment, Ego-ldentity,and Prosociality of Children from Multicultural Families", Dong-A University doctoral thesis, 2011.
- M. S. Park, 'The study on the structural relation among lifelong learning educators' core competency, adult learners' cognitive learning competency and life competencies'. Graduate School Chungnam National University, 2014.