- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Arousal Seeking Tendency on Physical Education Intrinsic Motivation and Physical Education Attitude of Middle School Students
중학생의 각성추구성향이 체육수업내적동기 및 체육교과태도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.01.26
- Accepted : 2016.03.03
- Published : 2016.03.31
Subjects consisting of 335 middle school students were analyzed using arousal seeking tendency scales to determine the effect on student's scores on scales for physical education intrinsic motivation and physical education attitude. The data were subjected to frequency analysis, correlation analysis, reliability analysis, exploratory factor analysis, and multiple regression analysis as statistical methods. The results were as follows. In the subscales of arousal seeking tendency, novelty seeking positively influenced interest, efforts, and competence. In the subscales of arousal seeking tendency, novelty seeking positively influenced physical education attitude, but thrill seeking negatively influenced health and fitness only. In the subscales of physical education intrinsic motivation, interest and efforts positively influenced physical education attitude, while both competence and tension partly influenced it. These findings indicate that improving both attitude and intrinsic motivation of middle school students toward physical education would require a method of teaching and learning that encourages students′ novelty seeking in the subscales of arousal seeking tendency.
Arousal seeking tendency;Middle school students;Physical education attitude;Physical education intrinsic motivation
- Rowland, G. L., Franken, R. E., Harrison, K., "Sensation seeking and participating in sporting activities," Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 8, 212-220, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsp.8.3.212
- Y. G., Jung, “Statically verification on the korean's arousal seeking scale: exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis,” Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 105-128, 2002.
- J. H., Seo, "The influence of arousal seeking tendency on the participation intension in sports events," Unpublished master's thesis, Pusan University, 2006.
- W. Y., Ryu, Y. W., Kim, "The influence of the arousal seeking on exercise adherence to winter adventure sports class of participants: Mediating role of exercise commitment," Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 50, pp. 477-488, 2012.
- J. Y., Huh, & K. H., Song, “Relationship between arousal seeking, exercise addiction and psychological well-being in participants of leisure sports,” Journal of Leisure and Recreation Studies, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 127-137, 2011.
- Zuckerman, M., Eysenck, S., Eysenck, H. J., “Sensation seeking in england and america: Cross-cultural, age, and sex comparisons,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 139-149, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.46.1.139 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.46.1.139
- Ryan, R. M., "Control and information in the intrapersonal sphere: An extension of cognitive evaluation theory," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 43, pp. 405-461, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.520
- J. G., Park, “Examining the structural model between perceived motivational climates, intrinsic motivation, and physical activity intention in physical education,” The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 123-136, 2009.
- B. J., Lee, D. H., Kim, “The relationship between emotion experience and intrinsic motivation in physical education class,” Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 125-141, 2010.
- M. J., Lyu, N. S., Pyo, “Structural equation modeling analysis of teaching behavior, intrinsic motivation and class satisfaction,” The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 241-249, 2006.
- Papaioannou, A., “Students' perceptions of the physical education class environment for boys and girls and the perceived motivational climate,” Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, Vol. 69, No. 3, pp. 267-275, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02701367.1998.10607693 https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.1998.10607693
- H. J., Lee, “A comparison of students' attitudes toward physical education in the middle schools,” Philosophy of Movement: The Journal of Korean Philosophic Society for Sport and Dance, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 39-59, 2003.
- Carlson, T. B., "We hate gym: Student alienation from physical education," Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, Vol. 14, pp. 467-477, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.14.4.467
- E. C., Choi, “Developing content organization and teaching strategies for secondary school physical education through an integrated approach,” Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 1-23, 2002.
- K. Y. Ha, “An effect on demographic characteristic & sensation-seeking on the attitude of hair style in adolescence,” The Journal of the Korean Society of Knit Design, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 97-106, 2011.
- M. K., Oh, J. Y., Ahn, J. S., Kim, “The effect of children's sensation seeking on experience of committing a school violence: moderating effect of communication with parents,” Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 31-54, 2013.
- C. Y., Ha, A. R., Koh, M. S., Chung, “Female adolescents' clothing behavior and hair style attitude as related to sensation seeking and body image,” Journal of the Koran Society of Clothing and Textiles, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 715-726, 2005.
- Zuckerman, M., "Sensation seeking: Beyond the optimum level of arousal," Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, p.10, 1979.
- Zuckerman, M., Kolin, E., Price, L., & Zoob, I., "Development of a sensation seeking scale," Journal of Consulting Psychology, Vol. 28, pp. 477-482, 1964. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0040995 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0040995
- Arnett, J., “Drunk driving, sensation seeking, and egocentrism among adolescents,” Personality and Individual Differences, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 541-546, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(90)90035-P https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(90)90035-P
- K. S., Park, “The casual relationships among physical education teacher-trust, learning motivation and physical attitude for high school students,” Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 65-77, 2011.
- Y. W., Seo, "The effect the attitude of a subject, physical education, has on physical education class concentration and class satisfaction," Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2012.
- Y. G., Lee, J. A., You, S. H., Jun, "A study on relevance between learning desire and P.E. attitiude in 'student-athletes' from a functionalist perspective," Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 49, pp. 21-31, 2012.
- H. J., Seo, "Relationship between sensation seeking, exercise addiction, and psychological well-being in participant of life time sports," Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, 2011.
- J. Y., Huh, & K. H., Song, "Relationship among arousal seeking, exercise commitment and leisure satisfaction in the participant of sports for all," Journal of Leisure and recreation studies, Vol. 34, No. 1, 93-102, 2010.
- B. S., An, D. J., Kim, "The effect off arousal seeking on psychological well-being of university students in physical education class," Journal of Marine Sport Studies, Vol. 3, No. 1, 61-70, 2013.
- E. J., Lee, "Sport participation motive and sensation seeking behavior affect self-esteem and psychological well-being," Unpublished master's thesis. Chonnam national university, 2002.
- Y. G., Jung, Y. S., Jung, “The relationship between sport participation motivation and arousal seeking of participants in leisure sport and exercise,” The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 275-287, 1998.
- S. H., Um, B. J., Kim, "Teaching behavior as a predictor of students' intrinsic motivation in physical education," Korean Journal of Sport Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 4, 17-36, 2003.
- C. H., Kim, “Development and validation of a korean version attitude scale for physical education,” The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 289-304, 2005.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., Black, W. C., "Multivariate data analysis(4th ed.)," Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1995.
- S. E., Hur, “Analysis of the arousal seeking trends based on leisure participation motive of snow-boarder,” Journal of Leisure and Recreation Studies, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 127-134, 2009.
- Y. H., Kim, "The effect of the adventurous leisure participant's sensation-seeking propensity on the participation attitude and flow," Unpublished master's thesis. Kyung hee University, 2012.
- Y. G., Jung, "The influence of sport participation motivation, arousal seeking and affects on the behavior of sport commitment," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Pusan national university, 1997.
- Y. G., Jung, "Verification on the relationship model of marine leisure sports participant's arousal seeking, affects, and behavior of sport commitment," Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 28, pp. 383-395, 2006.
- H. Y., Park, "The effect of middle school students' motives of participating in physical education classes on attitude to physical education classes and peer relations," Unpublished master's thesis. Ewha Woman's University, 2006.
- S. M., An, "The relationship among of middle school physical education teacher, intrinsic motivation, desire and attitude about physical education," Unpublished master's thesis. Dankook university, 2010.
- C. H., Kim, “The korean physical education attitude in middle school students: Gender, self-perceived skill level and achievement,” Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 77-90, 2005.
- Y. H., Kim, “Qualitative analysis on experiences of low-skilled students in physical education,” Korean Journal of Sport Pedagogy, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 57-76, 2003.