- Volume 10 Issue 4
Currently, there is a great interest in the coupling between multiphase fluid flow and geomechanical effects in hydrocarbon reservoirs and surrounding rocks. The ideal solution for this coupled problem is to introduce the geomechanical effects through the stress analysis solution and implement an algorithm, which assures that the equations governing the flow and stress analyses are obeyed in each time step. This paper deals with the implementation of a program (FORTRAN90 interface code), which was developed to couple conventional reservoir (ECLIPSE) and geomechanical (ABAQUS) simulators, using a partial coupling algorithm. The explicit coupled hydro-mechanical behavior of Iranian field during depletion and
coupled;hydro-mechanical;FEM;plastic strain;stress path
- ABAQUS Unified Finite Element Analysis (2010), User's Manual Version 6.10; Dassault Systemes, Simulia Corporation, Providence, RI, USA.
- Alavi, M. (2004), "Regional stratigraphy of the Zagros fold-thrust belt of Iran and its proforeland evolution", Am. J. Sci., 304, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.2475/ajs.304.1.1
- Angus, D.A., Dutko, M., Kristiansen, T.G., Fisher, Q.J., Kendall, J.M., Baird, A.F., Verdon, J.P., Barkved, O.I., Yu, J. and Zhao, S. (2015), "Integrated hydro-mechanical and seismic modelling of the Valhall reservoir: A case study of predicting subsidence, AVOA and microseismicity", Geomech. Energyt Environ., 2, 32-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gete.2015.05.002
Bissell, R.C., Vasco, D.W., Atbi, M., Hamdani, M., Okwelegbe, M. and Goldwater, M.H. (2011), "A full field simulation of the In Salah gas production and
$CO_2$storage project using a coupled geo-mechanical and thermal fluid flow simulator", Energy Procedia, 4, 3290-3297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2011.02.249
- Dean, R.H., Gai, X., Stone, C.M. and Minkoff, S.E. (2006), "A comparison of techniques for coupling porous flow and geomechanics", SPE Journal, 11(1), 132-140. https://doi.org/10.2118/79709-PA
Goodarzi, S., Settari, A., Zoback, M. and Keith, D. (2011), "A coupled geomechanical reservoir simulation analysis of
$CO_2$storage in a saline aquifer in the Ohio River Valley", Environ. Geosci., 18(3), 189-207. https://doi.org/10.1306/eg.04061111002
Goodarzi, S., Settari, A., Zoback, M. and Keith, D. (2010), "Thermal Aspects of Geomechanics and Induced Fracturing in
$CO_2$Injection With Application to $CO_2$Sequestration in Ohio River Valley", Proceedings of the Society of Petroleum Engineers International Conference on $CO_2$Capture, Storage, and Utilization, New Orleans, LA, USA, November, SPE-139706-MS.
- Gutierrez, M. and Lewis, R.W. (1998), "The Role of Geomechanics in Reservoir Simulation, In Proceedings of SPE/ISRM Rock Mechanics in Petroleum Engineering", Society of Petroleum Engineers, Trondheim, Norway.
- Herwanger, J. and Koutsabeloulis, N. (2011), Seismic geomechanics: How to build and calibrate geomechanical models using 3D and 4D seismic data. EAGE Publications, p. 181.
- Inoue, N. and Fontoura, S. (2009), "Answers to some questions about the coupling between fluid flow and rock deformation in oil reservoirs", Proceedings of SPE/EAGE Reservoir Characterization and Simulation Conference, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Abu Dhabi, UAE, October, pp. 1-13.
Lamy-Chappuis, B., Angus, D.A., Fisher, Q., Grattoni, C.A. and Yardley, B.W.D. (2014), "Rapid porosity and permeability changes of calcareous sandstone due to
$CO_2$-enriched brine injection", Geophys. Res. Lett., 41(2), 399-406. https://doi.org/10.1002/2013GL058534
- Lewis, R.W. and Sukirman, Y. (1993), "Finite element modelling of three-phase flow in deforming saturated oil reservoirs", Int. J. Numer. Anal. Method. Geomech., 17(8), 577-598. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.1610170804
Lynch, T., Fisher, Q., Angus, D.A. and Lorinczi, P. (2013), "Investigating stress path hysteresis in a
$CO_2$injection scenario using coupled geomechanical-fluid flow modelling", Energy Procedia, 37, 3833-3841. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.280
- Minkoff, S.E., Mike Stone, C., Bryant, S., Peszynska, M. and Wheeler, M.F. (2003), "Coupled fluid flow and geomechanical deformation modeling", J. Petrol. Sci. Eng., 38(1-2), 37-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0920-4105(03)00021-4
Preston, C., Monea, M., Jazrawi, W., Brown, K., Whittaker, S., White, D., Law, D., Chalaturnyk, R. and Rostron, B. (2005), "IEA GHG Weyburn
$CO_2$monitoring and storage project", Fuel Process. Technol., 86(14-15), 1547-1568. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2005.01.019
- Rutqvist, J., Wu, Y.S., Tsang, C.F. and Bodvarsson, G. (2002), "A modeling approach for analysis of coupled multiphase fluid flow, heat transfer, and deformation in fractured porous rock", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 39(4), 429-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00022-9
Rutqvist, J., Vasco, D. and Myer, L. (2010), "Coupled reservoir-geomechanical analysis of
$CO_2$injection and ground deformations at In Salah, Algeria", Int. J. Greenh. Gas Control, 4(2), 225-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2009.10.017
- Segura, J.M., Fisher, Q.J., Crook, A.J.L., Dutko, M., Yu, J., Skachkov, S., Angus, D.A., Verdon, J.P. and Kendall, J.M. (2011), "Reservoir stress path characterization and its implications for fluid-flow production simulation", Petrol. Geosci., 17(4), 335-344. https://doi.org/10.1144/1354-079310-034
- Settari, A. and Mourits, F.M. (1998), "A coupled reservoir and geomechanical simulation system", SPE Journal, 3(3), 219-226. https://doi.org/10.2118/50939-PA
- Settari, A. and Vikram, S. (2008), "Geomechanics in integrated reservoir modeling", Proceedings of Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, TX, USA, May.
- Settari, A. and Walters, D. (1999), "Advances in coupled geomechanical and reservoir modeling with applications to reservoir compaction", Proceedings of SPE Reservoir Simulation Symposium, Society of Petroleum Engineers, Houston, TX, USA, February.
- Solomon, S. (2006), "Bellona working paper: Criteria for intermediate carbon dioxide storage in geological formations", Geological Security, Bellona, Oslo, Norway.
- Thomas, L.K., Chin, L.Y., Pierson, R.G. and Sylte, J.E. (2003), "Coupled geomechanics and reservoir simulation", SPE Journal, 8(4), 350-358. https://doi.org/10.2118/87339-PA
- Tortike, W.S. and Farouq Ali, S.M. (1987), "A framework for multiphase nonisothermal fluid flow in a deforming heavy oil reservoir", Proceedings of SPE Symposium on Reservoir Simulation, Society of Petroleum Engineers, San Antonio, TX, USA, February, pp. 385-391.
Verdon, J.P., Kendall, J.M., White, D.J. and Angus, D.A. (2011), "Linking microseismic event observations with geomechanical models to minimize the risks of storing
$CO_2$in geological formations", Earth Planet Sci. Lett., 305(1-2), 143-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2011.02.048
Vidal-Gilbert, S., Nauroy, J.F. and Brosse, E. (2009), "3D geomechanical modelling for
$CO_2$geologic storage in the Dogger carbonates of the Paris Basin", Int. J. Greenhouse Gas Control, 3(3), 288-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2008.10.004
Wright, I.W. (2007), "The In Salah gas
$CO_2$storage project", Proceedings of International Petroleum Technology Conference, Dubai, UAE, December, Paper No. 11326, GeoArabia, 13(3), p. 218.
- Xikui, L. and Zienkiewicz, O.C. (1992), "Multiphase flow in deforming porous media and finite element solutions", Comput. Struct., 45(2), 211-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(92)90405-O
Zhou, R., Huang, L. and Rutledge, J. (2010), "Microseismic event location for monitoring
$CO_2$injection using double-difference tomography", Lead Edge, 29(2), 201-214.
Zoback, M.D. (2010), "The potential for triggered seismicity associated with geologic sequestration of
$CO_2$in saline aquifers", Am. Geophys. Union (AGU), EOS Trans. AGU, 91(52), Fall Meeting, Suppl., Abstract NH11C-01.
- ECLIPSE Reservoir Simulation Software (2010), Version 2010 User Guide, Schlumberger.