- Volume 10 Issue 4
This paper discusses improvements of compressibility, permeability, static and liquefaction strengths of in-situ soils by grouting. Both field testing and laboratory evaluation of the on-site samples were conducted. The improvement of soils was influenced by two main factors, i.e., the grout materials and the injection mechanisms introduced by the field grouting. On-site grout mapping revealed the major mechanism was fracturing accompanied with some permeation at deeper zones of sandy soils, where long-gel time suspension grout and solution grout were applied. The study found the compressibility and swelling potential of CL soils at a 0.5 m distance to grout hole could be reduced by 25% and 50%, respectively, due to the grouting. The effect on hydraulic conductivity of the CL soils appeared insignificant. The grouting slightly improved the cohesion of the CL soils by 10~15 kPa, and the friction angle appeared unaffected. The grouting had also improved the cohesion of the on-site SM soils by 10~90 kPa, while influences on the friction angle of soils were uncertain. Liquefaction resistances could be enhanced for the sandy soils within a 2~3 m extent to the grout hole. Average improvements of 40% and 20% on the liquefaction resistance were achievable for the sandy soils for earthquake magnitudes of 6 and
ground improvement;geotechnical properties;soil grouting;laboratory testing;field testing
- Akiyama, M. and Kawasaki, S. (2012), "Improvement in the unconfined compressive strength of sand test pieces cemented with calcium phosphate compound by addition of calcium carbonate", Ecolog. Eng., 47, 264-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.07.008
- Anagnostopoulos, C.A. (2005), "Laboratory study of an injected granular soil with polymer grouts", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 20(6), 525-533. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2005.04.005
- Anagnostopoulos, C.A. (2014), "Effect of different superplasticisers on the physical and mechanical properties of cement grouts", Construct. Build. Mater., 50, 162-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.09.050
- Anagnostopoulos, C.A., Papaliangas, T., Manolopoulou, S. and Dimopoulos, T. (2011) "Physical and mechanical properties of chemically grouted sand", Tunn. Undergr. Space Tech., 26(6), 718-724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2011.05.006
- Axelsson, M. (2006), "Mechanical tests on a new non-cementitious grout, silica sol: A laboratory study of the material characteristics", Tunn. Undergr. Space Tech., 21(5), 554-560. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2005.09.002
- Axelsson, M., Gustafson, G. and Fransson, A. (2009), "Stop mechanism for cementitious grouts at different water-to-cement ratios", Tunn. Undergr. Space Tech., 24(4), 390-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2008.11.001
- Chang, M., Shau, S.H., Wu, T.F. and Hsu, R.E. (2004), "The effect of low-pressure grouting on liquefaction resistance of sands", Proceedings of the 15th Southeast Asia Geotechnical Society Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, November.
- Delfosse-Ribay, E., Djeran-Maigre, I., Cabrillac, R. and Gouvenot, D. (2004), "Shear modulus and damping ratio of grouted sand", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng, 24(6), 461-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2004.02.004
- Duncan, J.M. and Buchignani, A.L. (1976), An Engineering Manual for Settlement Studies, Department of Civil Engineering, UC Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Eriksson M., Friedrich, M. and Vorschulze, C. (2004), "Variations in the rheology and penetrability of cement-based grouts-An experimental study", Cement Concrete Res., 34(7), 1111-1119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2003.11.023
- Fattah, M.Y., Al-Saidi, A.A. and Jaber, M.M. (2015), "Improvement of bearing capacity of footing on soft clay grouted with lime-silica fume mix", Geomech. Eng., Int. J., 8(1), 113-132. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.1.000 https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.1.113
- Geotechnical Engineering Office (GEO) (1996), GEOGUIDE II-Guide to Site Investigation, Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Hausmann, M.R. (1990), Engineering Principles of Ground Modification, McGraw-Hill, Co., USA.
- Head, K.H. (1994), Manual of Soil Laboratory Testing, (Volume I), Pentech Press, London, UK.
- Hsiao, D.H. (1996), "Study on engineering characteristics of sandy sol mixed with cement material", J. Tech., 11(3), 305-311.
- Ishihara, K. (1996), Soil Behavior in Earthquake Geotechnics, Oxford University Press, UK.
- Kikuchi, K., Igari, T., Mito, Y. and Utsuki, S. (1997), "In-situ experimental studies on improvement of rock masses by grouting treatment", Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 3(3-4), Paper No. 138, 14 p.
- Krizek, R.J. and Helal, M. (1992), "Anisotropic behavior of cement-grouted sand", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 541-550.
- Krizek, R.J., Liao, H.J. and Borden, R.H. (1992), "Mechanical properties of microfine cement/sodium silicate grouted sand", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 688-699.
- Lee, K., Hong, C., Kim, H. and Ahn, J. (2008), "Development of the high and early-strength ultrafine cement grouting", Proceedings of World Tunnel Congrress 2008, Agra, India, September.
- Liao, H.J. and Liu, C.H. (1996), "Compaction grouting induced displacement and strength improvement for silty clay", J. Chinese Inst. Civil Hydraul. Eng., 8(2), 171-182.
- Liao, H.J., Borden, R.H. and Krizek, R.J. (1992), "Microfine cement/sodium silicate grout", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 676-687.
- Maalej, Y., Dormieux, L., Canou, J. and Dupla, J.C. (2007), "Strength of a granular medium reinforced by cement grouting", Mecanique, 335(2), 87-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crme.2006.12.003
- Mitchell, J.K. (1976), "The properties of cement-stabilized soils", Proceedings of Residential Workshop Materials Methods for Low Cost Road, Rail and Reclamation Works, Leura, Australia, September.
- Mitchell, J.K. (1982), "Soil improvement-state of the art", Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, 4, Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 509-566.
- Mitchell, J.K. and Van Court, W.A. (1992), "The role of soil modification in environmental engineering applications", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 110-143.
- Mori, A., Tamura, M., Shibata, H. and Hayashi, H. (1992), "Some factors related to injected shape in grouting", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 313-324.
- Mutman, U. and Kavak, A. (2011), "Improvement of granular soils by low pressure grouting", Int. Phys. Sci., Academic Journals, 6(17), 4311-4322.
- Pantazopoulos, I.A. and Atmatzidis, D.K. (2012), "Dynamic properties of microfine cement grouted sands", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 42, 17-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.05.017
- Rosquoet, F., Alexis, A., Khelidj, A. and Phelipot, A. (2003), "Experimental study of cement grout: rheological behavior and sedimentation", Cement Concrete Res., 33(5), 713-722. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-8846(02)01036-0
- Schwarz, L.G. and Krizek, R.J. (1992), "Effects of mixing on rheological properties of microfine cement grout", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 512-525.
- Seed, H.B., Tokimatsu, K., Harder, L.F. and Chung, R.M. (1985), "Influence of SPT procedures in soil liquefaction resistance evaluation", J. Geot. Eng., 111(12), 1425-1445. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1985)111:12(1425)
- Soga, K., Au, S.K.A., Jafari, M.R. and Bolton, M.D. (2004), "Laboratory investigation of multiple grout injections into clay", Geotechnique, 54(2), 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2004.54.2.81
- Tseng, D.J., Tsai, B.R. and Chang, L.C. (2001), "A case study on ground treatment for a rock tunnel with high groundwater ingress in Taiwan", Tunn. Undergr. Space Tech., 16(3), 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(01)00055-4
- Uchida, K., Ohmori, H., Takeda, T. and Shimoda, M. (1996), "Laboratory element tests on the effect of fracturing grouting on cyclic liquefaction resistance", Grouting & Deep Mixing, (Yonekura, Terashi and Shibazaki Eds.), Balkema, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 103-106.
- Vipulanandan, C. and Shenoy, S. (1992), "Properties of cement grouts and grouted sands with additives", Grouting, Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 30, 500-511.
- Wong, R.C.K. and Alfaro, M.C. (2001), "Fracturing in low-permeability soils for remediation of contaminated ground", Can. Geot. J., 38(2), 316-327. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-097
- Yang, Z. and Cheng, X. (2013), "A performance study of high-strength microbial mortar produced by low pressure grouting for the reinforcement of deteriorated masonry structures", Constr. Building Mat., 41, 505-515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2012.12.055
- Yang, S.W., Chang, M., Yang, P.J., Chang, J., Chen, L.H. and Chiang, C.C. (2009), "Engineering characteristics of grouted sands by European and Japanese types of grouts", Proceedings of the 13th Conference of Current Researches Geotechnical Engneering, Ilan, Taiwan, August.
- Yasuhara, H., Neupane, D., Hayashi, K. and Okamura, M. (2012), "Experimental and predictions of physical properties of sand cemented by enzymatically-induced carbonate precipitation", Soils Found., 52(3), 539-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sandf.2012.05.011
- Youd, T.L., Idriss, I.M., Andrus, R.D., Arango, I., Castro, G., Christian, J.T., Dobry, R., Finn, W.D.,L., Harder, Jr. L.F., Hynes, M.E., Ishihara, K., Koester, J.P., Liao, S.S.C., Farcuson, III W.F., Martin, G.R., Mitchell, J.K., Moriwaki, Y., Power, M.S., Robertson, P.K., Seed, R.B. and Stokoe, II K.H. (2001), "Liquefaction resistance of soils: summary report from the 1996 NCEER and 1998 NCEER/NSF Workshops on Evaluation of Liquefaction Resistance of Soils", J. Geot. Geoenvion. Eng., 127(10), 817-833. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:10(817)
- Realization and engineering application of hydraulic support optimization in residual coal remining vol.32, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3233/JIFS-162311
- Roof instability characteristics and pre-grouting of the roof caving zone in residual coal mining vol.14, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-2140/aa8eb6
Supported by : National Science Council of Taiwan, Diffisoil Geotechnical Engineering Co., National Yunlin University of Science & Technology (NYUST) of Taiwan