- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Determining the Optimal Frequency of Ground Penetrating Radar for Detecting Voids in Pavements
도로동공 탐지를 위한 지표투과레이더의 적정 주파수 선정에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2016.03.31
- Published : 2016.04.14
PURPOSES : The objective of this study is to determine the optimal frequency of ground penetrating radar (GPR) testing for detecting the voids under the pavement. METHODS : In order to determine the optimal frequency of GPR testing for void detection, a full-scale test section was constructed to simulate the actual size of voids under the pavement. Voids of various sizes were created by inserting styrofoam at varying depths under the pavement. Subsequently, 250-, 500-, and 800-MHz ground-coupled GPR testing was conducted in the test section and the resulting GPR signals were recorded. The change in the amplitude of these signals was evaluated by varying the GPR frequency, void size, and void depth. The optimum frequency was determined from the amplitude of the signals. RESULTS: The capacity of GPR to detect voids under the pavement was evaluated by using three different ground-coupled GPR frequencies. In the case of the B-scan GPR data, a parabolic shape occurred in the vicinity of the voids. The maximum GPR amplitude in the A-scan data was used to quantitatively determine the void-detection capacity. CONCLUSIONS: The 250-MHz GPR testing enabled the detection of 10 out of 12 simulated voids, whereas the 500-MHz testing allowed the detection of only five. Furthermore, the amplitude of GPR detection associated with 250-MHz testing is significantly higher than that of 500-MHz testing. This indicates that 250-MHz GPR testing is well-suited for the detection of voids located at depths ranging from 0.5~2.0 m. Testing at frequencies lower than 250 MHz is recommended for void detection at depths greater than 2 m.
ground penetrating radar;testbed;asphalt pavement;simulated void;amplitude
- Al-Qadi, I. L., Leng, Z., Lahouar, S., Baek, J., 2014. In-Place Hot- Mix Asphalt Density Estimation Using Ground-Penetrating Radar, Transportation Research Record, Vol.2152, 19-27.
- Al-Qadi, I. L., Lahouar, S., and Loulizi, A., 2003. GPR : From the State-Of-the-Art to the State-Of-the-Practice, International Symposium of Non-destructive Testing in Civil Engineering.
- Baek, Jongeun, Choi, Jaesoon. 2014. Under Road Exploration Technology using GPR, Korea Society of Road Technical Articles, Vol. 16, No. 3. 11-16.
- Changmiao Duan, Renbiao Wu, and Jiaxue Liu. 2011. Estimation of airfield pavement void thickness using GPR, 2011 3rd International Asia-Pacific Conference, 1-4.
- D. J. Daniels, 1996. Surface Penetrating Radar, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 8, No. 4. 165-182.
- John M. Reynolds, 1997. Introduction to Applied and Environmental Geophysics.
- Kim, I. S., Lee, K. H., 2001. Thickness Measurement Using Ground Penetrating Radar Package, Korea Pavement Engineering Technical articles, Vol.3, No.2, 41-44.
- Kong, H. J., Kim S. D., Kim, M. J., Han S. H., 2012. A Preprocessing Method for Ground-Penetrating-Radar based Land-mine Detection System, Vol. 50, No. 4. 931-941.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government, 2005. Manual for Management Policy of Road Collapse.
- Son, S. J., Shin, B. C., 2000. Detectability Measurement of GPR for Buried Target in Self-Designed Test Field, Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 20, No. 4, 322-328.
Grant : 도로교통시설물의 내부결함을 검출하기 위한 이동형 비접촉 고정밀 투과영상 탐지시스템 개발
Supported by : 국토교통부