- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Finite Element Analysis of Structural Performance of Anti-Freezing Layer via the Korea Pavement Research Program
한국형포장설계프로그램 및 유한요소해석을 이용한 동상방지층의 구조적 성능 평가
Kim, Dowan;Lee, Junkyu;Mun, Sungho
- Received : 2016.03.15
- Accepted : 2016.03.29
- Published : 2016.04.14
PURPOSES : Nowadays, cavity phenomena occur increasingly in pavement layers of downtown areas. This leads to an increment in the number of potholes, sinkholes, and other failure on the road. A loss of earth and sand from the pavement plays a key role in the occurrence of cavities, and, hence, a structural-performance evaluation of the pavement is essential. METHODS: The structural performance was evaluated via finite-element analysis using KPRP and KICTPAVE. KPRP was developed in order to formulate a Korean pavement design guide, which is based on a mechanical-empirical pavement design guide (M-EPDG). RESULTS: Installation of the anti-freezing layer yielded a fatigue crack, permanent deformation, and international roughness index (IRI) of 13%, 0.7 cm, and 3.0 m/km, respectively, as determined from the performance analysis conducted via KPRP. These values satisfy the design standards (fatigue crack: 20%, permanent deformation: 1.3 cm, IRI: 3.5 m/km). The results of FEM, using KICTPAVE, are shown in Figures 8~12 and Tables 3~5. CONCLUSIONS: The results of the performance analysis (conducted via KPRP) satisfy the design standards, even if the thickness of the anti-freezing layer is not considered. The corresponding values (i.e., 13%, 0.7 cm, and 3.0 m/km) are obtained for all conditions under which this layer is applied. Furthermore, the stress and strain on the interlayer between the sub-grade and the anti-freezing layer decrease gradually with increasing thickness of the anti-freezing layer. In contrast, the strain on the interlayer between the sub-base and the anti-freezing layer increases gradually with this increase in thickness.
anti-freezing layer;Korean Pavement Research Program;performance analysis;international roughness index
- Choi, Jungho, Kweon, Kichul. (2010). "A special quality analysis about design standard of Anti-Frost layer at the inside and outside of the country", 한국도로학회 춘계학술대회 논문집, pp. 261-266.
- Kim, Dowan, Han, Beomsoo, Kim, Yeonjoo, and Mun, Sungho. (2014). "A Study of Reliability of Predictive Models for Permanent Deformation and Fatigue Failure Related to Flexible Pavement Design", Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 105-113. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2014.16.6.105
- Lee, Chang-joon, Kim, Dowan, Mun, Sungho and Yoo, PyoungJun. (2012). "Study on a Prediction Model of the Tensile Strain Related to the Fatigue Cracking Performance of Asphalt Concrete Pavements Through Design of Experiments and Harmony Search Algorithm", Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 11-17.
- Lee, C. J., Yoo, P. J., Choi, J. and Ohm, B. (2012)". Development of Viscoelastic Finite Element Analysis Code for Pavement Structures", Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 1-9.
- Lee, Moonsup, Heo, Taeyoung, Park, Heemun, Kim, Booil. (2012). "Development of Model for Structural Evaluation of Anti-Freezing Layer", Journal of Highway Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 25-32.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. (2011) "Research for Standards of utility and installation of Anti-Freezing Layer" Research Report.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport. (2012) "Design Guide for Anti-Freezing Layer".
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2015) "Standard Specification of Road Construction"
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Korean government