- Volume 1 Issue 2
Changes in chemical structure have profound effects on the physical properties of epoxy-based materials, and eventually affect the durability of the entire system. Microscopic structural voids generally existing in the epoxy cross-linked networks have a detrimental influence on the epoxy mechanical properties, but the relation remains elusive, which is hindered by the complex structure of epoxy-based materials. In this paper, we investigate the effect of structural voids on the epoxy-based materials by using our developed mesoscale model equipped with the concept of multiscale modeling, and SU-8 photoresist is used as a representative of epoxy-based materials. Developed from the results of full atomistic simulations, the mesoscopic model is validated against experimental measurements, which is suitable to describe the elastic deformation of epoxy-based materials over several orders of magnitude in time- and length scales. After that, a certain quantity of the structure voids is incorporated in the mesoscale model. It is found that the existence of structural voids reduces the tensile stiffness of the mesoscale epoxy network, when compared with the case without any voids in the model. In addition, it is noticed that a certain number of the structural voids have an insignificant effect on the epoxy elastic properties, and the mesoscale model containing structural voids is close to those found in real systems.
multiscale modeling;molecular dynamics;mesoscale mechanics;epoxy-based materials;structural voids
- Adams, R.D., Comyn, J. and Wake, W.C. (1997), Structural Adhesive Joints in Engineering, Springer, Netherlands.
- Adler, D.C. and Buehler, M.J. (2013), "Mesoscale mechanics of wood cell walls under axial strain", Soft Matter., 9(29), 7138-7144. https://doi.org/10.1039/c3sm50183c
- Allen, M.P. and Tildesley, D.J. (1989), Computer Simulation of Liquids, Oxford university press, New York, NY, USA.
- Browning, C.E. and Hartness, J. (1972), The Effects of Moisture on the Properties of High Performance Structural Resins and Composites, ACS Publications, USA.
- Buehler, M.J. (2006a), "Atomistic and continuum modeling of mechanical properties of collagen: elasticity, fracture, and self-assembly", J. Mater. Res., 21(08), 1947-1961. https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.2006.0236
- Buehler, M.J. (2006b), "Mesoscale modeling of mechanics of carbon nanotubes: self-assembly, self-folding, and fracture", J. Mater. Res., 21(11), 2855-2869. https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.2006.0347
- Campo, A.D. and Greiner, C. (2007), "SU-8: a photoresist for high-aspect-ratio and 3D submicron lithography", J. Micromech. Microeng., 17(6), R81-R95. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/17/6/R01
- Conradie, E.H. and Moore, D.F. (2002), "SU-8 thick photoresist processing as a functional material for MEMS applications", J. Micromech. Microeng., 12(4), 368-374. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/12/4/303
- Dauber-Osguthorpe, P., Roberts, V.A., Osguthorpe, D.J., Wolff, J., Genest, M. and Hagler, A.T. (1988), "Structure and energetics of ligand binding to proteins: Escherichia coli dihydrofolate reductasetrimethoprim, a drug-receptor system", Proteins: Struct. Func. Bioinformat., 4(1), 31-47. https://doi.org/10.1002/prot.340040106
- Dlubek, G., Hassan, E., Krause-Rehberg, R. and Pionteck, J. (2006), "Free volume of an epoxy resin and its relation to structural relaxation: Evidence from positron lifetime and pressure-volume-temperature experiments", Phys. Rev. E, 73(3), 031803.
- Feng, R. and Farris, R.J. (2002), "The characterization of thermal and elastic constants for an epoxy photoresist SU8 coating", J. Mater. Sci., 37(22), 4793-4799. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020862129948
- Feng, R. and Farris, R.J. (2003), "Influence of processing conditions on the thermal and mechanical properties of SU8 negative photoresist coatings", J. Micromech. Microeng., 13(1), 80. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/13/1/312
- Hammacher, J., Fuelle, A., Flaemig, J., Saupe, J., Loechel, B. and Grimm, J. (2008), "Stress engineering and mechanical properties of SU-8-layers for mechanical applications", Microsys. Technol., 14(9-11), 1515-1523. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00542-007-0534-7
- Hsieh, T.T., Tiu, C. and Simon, G.P. (2001), "Correlation between molecular structure, free volume, and physical properties of a wide range of main chain thermotropic liquid crystalline polymers", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 82(9), 2252-2267. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.2073
- Ishiyama, C. and Higo, Y. (2002), "Effects of humidity on Young's modulus in poly (methyl methacrylate)", J. Polym. Sci. Part B: Polym. Phys., 40(5), 460-465. https://doi.org/10.1002/polb.10107
- Jeffrey, K. and Pethrick, R.A. (1994), "Influence of chemical structure on free volume in epoxy resins: A positron annihilation study", Eur. Polym. J., 30(2), 153-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-3057(94)90153-8
- Kremer, K. and Grest, G.S. (1990), "Dynamics of entangled linear polymer melts: A molecular-dynamics simulation", J. Chem. Phys., 92(8), 5057-5086. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.458541
- Laio, A. and Gervasio, F.L. (2008), "Metadynamics: a method to simulate rare events and reconstruct the free energy in biophysics, chemistry and material science", Rep. Prog. Phys., 71(12), 126601. https://doi.org/10.1088/0034-4885/71/12/126601
- Lau, D., Broderick, K., Buehler, M.J. and Buyukozturk, O. (2014), "A robust nanoscale experimental quantification of fracture energy in a bilayer material system", Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. USA, 111(33), 11990-11995. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1402893111
- Lau, D., Buyukozturk, O. and Buehler, M.J. (2012), "Characterization of the intrinsic strength between epoxy and silica using a multiscale approach", J. Mater. Res., 27(14), 1787-1796. https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.2012.96
- Lorenz, H., Despont, M, Fahrni, N., LaBianca, N., Renaud, P. and Vettiger, P. (1997), "SU-8: a low-cost negative resist for MEMS", J. Micromech. Microeng., 7(3), 121-124. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/7/3/010
- Maple, J.R., Dinur, U. and Hagler., A.T. (1988), "Derivation of force fields for molecular mechanics and dynamics from ab initio energy surfaces", Proc. Nat'l Acad. Sci. USA, 85(15), 5350-5354. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.85.15.5350
- Mayo, S.L., Olafson, B.D. and Goddard., W.A. (1990), "DREIDING: a generic force field for molecular simulations", J. Phys. Chem., 94(26), 8897-8909. https://doi.org/10.1021/j100389a010
- Pethrick, R.A. (1997), "Positron annihilation-A probe for nanoscale voids and free volume?", Prog. Polym. Sci., 22(1), 1-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6700(96)00023-8
- Plimpton, S. (1995), "Fast parallel algorithms for short-range molecular dynamics", J. Comput. Phys., 117(1), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1995.1039
- Ravikumar, H., Ranganathaiah, C. and Kumaraswamy, G. (2005), "Influence of free volume on the mechanical properties of Epoxy/poly (methylmethacrylate) blends", J. Mater. Sci., 40(24), 6523-6527. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-005-1707-3
- Sen, D. and Buehler, M.J. (2010), "Atomistically-informed mesoscale model of deformation and failure of bioinspired hierarchical silica nanocomposites", Int. J. Appl. Mech., 2(04), 699-717. https://doi.org/10.1142/S175882511000072X
- Shibuya, Y., Zoledziowski, S. and Calderwood, J.H. (1977), "Void formation and electrical breakdown in epoxy-resin", Pow. Apparatus Syst., IEEE Trans., 96(1), 198-207. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-PAS.1977.32324
- Sliozberg, Y.R., Mrozek, R.A., Schieber, J.D., Kroger, M., Lenhart, J.L. and Andzelm, J.W. (2013), "Effect of polymer solvent on the mechanical properties of entangled polymer gels: Coarse-grained molecular simulation", Polymer, 54(10), 2555-2564. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2013.03.017
- Sun, H. (1995), "Ab initio calculations and force field development for computer simulation of polysilanes", Macromolecules, 28(3), 701-712. https://doi.org/10.1021/ma00107a006
- Tam, L.-H. and Lau, D. (2014), "A molecular dynamics investigation on the cross-linking and physical properties of epoxy-based materials", RSC Adv., 4(62), 33074-33081. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4RA04298K
- Tam, L.-H. and Lau, D. (2015), "Moisture effect on the mechanical and interfacial properties of epoxybonded material system: An atomistic and experimental investigation", Polymer, 57, 132-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2014.12.026
- Yagyu, H., Hirai, Y., Uesugi, A., Makino, Y., Sugano, K., Tsuchiya, T. and Tabata, O. (2012), "Simulation of mechanical properties of epoxy-based chemically amplified resist by coarse-grained molecular dynamics", Polymer, 53(21), 4834-4842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2012.08.050
- Yang, S. and Qu, J. (2012), "Computing thermomechanical properties of crosslinked epoxy by molecular dynamic simulations", Polymer, 53(21), 4806-4817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2012.08.045
- Yarovsky, I. and Evans, E. (2002), "Computer simulation of structure and properties of crosslinked polymers: application to epoxy resins", Polymer, 43(3), 963-969. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(01)00634-6
- Understanding the effect of temperature on the interfacial behavior of CFRP-wood composite via molecular dynamics simulations vol.109, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2016.10.030
- Assessment of High Thermal Effects on Carbon Nanotube (Cnt)- Reinforced Concrete vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-29663-5