- Volume 1 Issue 2
Reinforced concrete (RC) structures require advanced analysis techniques for better estimation of their seismic responses, especially in the case of exhibiting complex three-dimensional coupling of torsional and flexural behaviors. This study focuses on validating a numerical approach for evaluating the seismic response of a three-dimensional unsymmetrical RC structure through the participation in the SMART 2013 international benchmark program. The benchmark program provides material properties, detailed drawings of the RC structure, and input ground motions for the seismic response evaluation. In this study, nonlinear constitutive models of concrete and rebar were formed and local tests were conducted to verify the constitutive models in finite element analysis. Elastic calibration of the finite element model of the SMART 2013 RC structure was performed by comparing numerical and experimental results in modal and linear time history analyses. Using the calibrated model, nonlinear earthquake analysis and seismic fragility analysis were performed to estimate the behavior and vulnerability of the RC structure with various ground motions.
reinforced concrete structure;time history analysis;seismic vulnerability assessment;SMART 2013 benchmark program
- Bisch, P. and Coin, A. (1994), "The CASSBA project", Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vienna, Austria.
- Bisch, P. and Coin, A. (1998), "The CAMUS research program", Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paris, France.
- Campbell, K. and Bozorgnia, Y. (2010), "A ground motion prediction equation for the horizontal component of Cumulative Absolute Velocity (CAV) based on the PEER-NGA strong motion database", Earthq. Spectra, 26(3), 635-650. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3457158
- Crijanovschi, S., Richard, B., Chaudat, T. and Atanasiu, G.M. (2012), "Preliminary Numerical Analysis of a Reinforced Concrete Mock up: Effects of Thermal Breakers and Shaking Table", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- De Biasio, M., Grange, S., Dufour, F., Allain, F. and Petre-Lazar, I. (2014), "A simple and efficient intensity measure accounting for non-linear behavior of structure", Earthq. Spectra, 30(4), 1403-1426. https://doi.org/10.1193/010614EQS006M
- Hamburger, R.O., Foutch, D.A. and Cornell, C.A. (2003), "Translating research to practice: FEMA/SAC performance based design procedures", Earthq. Spectra, 19(2), 255-267. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1572495
- Juster-Lermitte, S., Chaudat, T., Zenter, I. and Courtois, A. (2009), "Project SMART 2008", French Alternative Energies and Atomic Commission, Gif-sur-Yvette, France.
- Kachlakev, D. and Miller, T. (2001), "Finite element modeling of reinforced concrete structures strengthened with FRP laminates", Final report, Oregon Department of Transportation, OR, USA.
- Kim, S.H. and Shinozuka, M. (2004), "Development of fragility curves of bridge retrofitted by column jacketing", Prob. Eng. Mech., 19(1), 105-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2003.11.009
- Kinali, K. and Ellingwood, B.R. (2007), "Seismic fragility assessment of steel frames for consequence based engineering: A case study for Memphis TN", Eng. Struct., 29(6), 1115-1127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.08.017
- Kwak, H.G. and Kim, D.Y. (2003), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of RC shear walls under cyclic loadings", J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 16(4), 353-368.
- Kwak, H.G. and Kim, S.P. (2000), "Nonlinear analysis of RC beams under cyclic loading based on momentcurvature relationship", J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 13(2), 245-256.
- Kwon, M. and Spacone, E. (2002), "Three-dimensional finite element analyses of reinforced concrete columns", Comput. Struct., 80(2), 199-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(01)00155-9
- Lee, H.P., Choun, Y.S. and Lee, S.J. (2007), "A study on the nonlinear analysis of containment building in Korea standard nuclear power plant", J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 20(3), 353-364.
- Richard, B. and Charbonnel, P.E. (2013), "SMART 2013 International Benchmark Experimental data for stage #2", French Alternative Energies and Atomic Commission, Gif-sur-Yvette, France.
- Richard, B. and Chaudat, T. (2014), "Presentation of the SMART 2013 international benchmark", French Alternative Energies and Atomic Commission, Gif-sur-Yvette, France.
- Richard, B. and Ragueneau, F. (2012), "Nonlinear analysis of a reinforced concrete mock-up under seismic loading", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Richard, B. and Ragueneau, F. (2013), "Continuum damage mechanics based model for quasi brittle materials subjected to cyclic loadings: Formulation, numerical implementation and applications", Eng. Fracture Mech., 98, 383-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2012.11.013
- Richard, B., Fontan, M. and Mazars, J. (2014), "SMART 2013: overview, synthesis and lessons learnt from the International Benchmark", French Alternative Energies and Atomic Commission, Gif-sur-Yvette, France.
- Shekarbeigi, M. and Sharafi, H. (2015), "Constitutive model for concrete: An overview", Curr. World Envir., 10, 782-788. https://doi.org/10.12944/CWE.10.Special-Issue1.94
- Shinozuka, M., Feng, M.Q., Kim, H.K. and Ueda, T. (2001), "Statistical analysis of fragility curves", Technical Report, Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, NY, USA.
- Shinozuka, M., Feng, M.Q., Lee, J. and Naganuma, T. (2000), "Statistical analysis of fragility curves", J. Eng. Mech., 126(12), 1224-1231. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2000)126:12(1224)
- Wang, T. and Hsu, T. (2001), "Nonlinear finite element analysis of concrete structures using new constitutive models", Comput. Struct., 79(32), 2781-2791. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(01)00157-2
- Zenter, I. (2010), "Numerical computation of fragility curves for NPP equipment", Nuclear Eng. Des., 240(6), 1614-1621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.02.030
- Zenter, I., Humbert, N., Ravet, S. and Viallet, E. (2011), "Numerical methods for seismic fragility analysis of structures in nuclear industry: application to a reactor coolant system", Georisk, 5(2), 99-109.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety, Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE)