- Volume 1 Issue 2
During the last decades, Pendulum Bearings with one or more concave sliding surfaces have been dominating bridge structures. For bridges with relative small lengths, the use of classical pendulum bearings could be a simple and cheaper solution. This work attempts to investigate the effectiveness of such a system, and especially its behavior for the case of a seismic excitation. The results obtained have shown that the classical pendulum bearings are very effective, mainly for bridges with short or intermediate length.
dynamics of bridges;pendulum bearings;seismic excitation
- Abrahamson, N.A., Schneider, J.F. and Stepp, J.C. (1991), "Empirical spatial coherency functions for application to soil-structures interaction analyses", Earthq. Spectra, 7(1), 25-32.
- Buckle, I.G. and Mayes, R.L. (1990), "Seismic isolation history: application and performance-a world review", Earthq. Spectra, 6(2), 161-201. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585564
- Casalotti, A., Arena, A. and Lacarbonara, W. (2014), "Mitigation of post-flutter oscillations in suspension bridges by hysteretic tuned mass dampers", Eng. Struct., 69, 67-71.
- Cheng, S., Darivandi, N. and Ghrib, F. (2010), "The design of an optimal viscous damper for a bridge stay cable using energy-based approach", J. Sound Vib., 329(22), 4689-4704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2010.05.027
- Constantinou, M.C., Tsopelas, P., Kim, Y.-S. and Okamoto, S. (1993), "NCEER-Taisei corporation research program on sliding seismic isolation systems for bridges: experimental and analytical study of a friction pendulum system (FPS)", Technical Report NCEER-93-0020, NCEER, SUNY, Buffalo NY.
- Daniel, Y., Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2012), "Multiple-tuned mass dampers for multimodal control of pedestrian bridges", J. Struct. Eng., 138(9), 1173-1178. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000527
- Gao, K. and Yuan, W. (2014), "Seismic response analysis of cable-sliding friction pendulum bearings in curved girder bridges", J. Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 34(3), 41-66.
- Guo, A., Li, Z., Li, H. and Ou, J. (2009), "Experimental and analytical study on pounding reduction of baseisolated highway bridges using MR dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38(11), 1307-1333. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.903
- Kawamura, S., Kitazawa, K., Hisano M. and Nagashima, I. (1988), "Study of a sliding-type base isolation system-system composition and element properties", Proceeding of the 9th WCEE, Tokyo-Kyoto.
- Khoshnoudian, F. and Hagdoust, V.R. (2009), "Response of pure-friction sliding structures to three components of earthquake excitation considering variations in the coefficient of friction", Civ. Eng., 16(6), 429-442.
- Kim, Y.-S. and Yun, C.-B. (2007), "Seismic response characteristics of bridges using double concave friction pendulum bearings with tri-linear behavior", Eng. Struct., 29(11), 3082-3093. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.02.009
- Maddaloni, G. Caterino, N., Nestovito, G. and Occhiuzzi, A. (2013), "Use of seismic early warning information to calibrate variable dampers for structural control of a highway bridge: Evaluation of the system robustness", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(6), 2407-2428. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9510-z
- Madhekar, S.N. and Jangid, R.S. (2010), "Seismic response control of benchmark highway bridge using variable dampers", Smart Struct. Syst., 6(8), 953-974. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.8.953
- Marin-Artieda, C., Whittaker, A. and Constantinou, M. (2009), "Experimental study of the XY-friction pendulum bearing for bridge applications", J. Bridge Eng., 14(3), 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2009)14:3(193)
- Moliner, E., Museros, P. and Martinez-Rodrigo, M.D. (2012), "Retrofit of existing railway bridges of short to medium spans for high-speed traffic using viscoelastic dampers", Eng. Struct., 40, 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.016
- Mosqueda, G., Wittaker, A.S. and Fenves, G.L. (2004), "Characterization and modeling of friction pendulum bearings subjected to multiple components of excitation", J. Struct. Eng., 130(3), 433-442. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:3(433)
- Mostaghel, N., Hejazi, M. and Tanbakuchi J. (1983), "Response of sliding structures to harmonic support motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 11(3), 355-366. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110305
- Touaillon, J. (1870), "Improvement in Buildings", U.S. Patent Office, Letters Patent No.99973.
- Yang, M.-G., Chen, Z.-Q. and Hua, X.-G. (2011), "An experimental study on using MR damper to mitigate longitudinal seismic response of a suspension bridge", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 31(8), 1171-1181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.04.006
- Westermo, B. and Udwadia, F. (1983), "Periodic response of a sliding oscillator system to harmonic excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 11(1), 135-146. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110111
- Wu, S.-P., Zhang, C. and Fang, Z.-Z. (2014), "Design schemes and parameter regression analysis of viscous dampers for cable-stayed bridge", Bridge Constr., 44(5), 21-26.
- Zayas, V., Low, S.S. and Main, S.A. (1987), "The FPS earthquake resisting system, experimental report", Report No. UCB'EERC-87/01, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA.