- Volume 43 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Generation of Triangular Mesh of Coronary Artery Using Mesh Merging
메쉬 병합을 통한 관상동맥의 삼각 표면 메쉬 모델 생성
- Jang, Yeonggul ;
- Kim, Dong Hwan (KIST) ;
- Jeon, Byunghwan ;
- Han, Dongjin ;
- Shim, Hackjoon ;
- Chang, Hyuk-jae
- 장영걸 (연세대학교 의과학과) ;
- 김동환 (한국과학기술연구원 로봇연구단) ;
- 전병환 (연세대학교 의과학과) ;
- 한동진 (연세의료원 심혈관연구소) ;
- 심학준 (연세의료원 심혈관연구소) ;
- 장혁재 (연세의료원 심장내과)
- Received : 2015.10.01
- Accepted : 2015.12.15
- Published : 2016.04.15
Generating a 3D surface model from coronary artery segmentation helps to not only improve the rendering efficiency but also the diagnostic accuracy by providing physiological informations such as fractional flow reserve using computational fluid dynamics (CFD). This paper proposes a method to generate a triangular surface mesh using vessel structure information acquired with coronary artery segmentation. The marching cube algorithm is a typical method for generating a triangular surface mesh from a segmentation result as bit mask. But it is difficult for methods based on marching cube algorithm to express the lumen of thin, small and winding vessels because the algorithm only works in a three-dimensional (3D) discrete space. The proposed method generates a more accurate triangular surface mesh for each singular vessel using vessel centerlines, normal vectors and lumen diameters estimated during the process of coronary artery segmentation as the input. Then, the meshes that are overlapped due to branching are processed by mesh merging and merged into a coronary mesh.
triangular mesh;mesh generation;mesh merging;computational fluid dynamics;tubular structure rendering
Grant : 다중의료영상을 활용한 3차원 초정밀 시뮬레이션 기반 심.혈관 질환 진단-치료지원 통합소프트웨어 시스템 개발
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터
- Steinman, David A., "Image-based computational fluid dynamics modeling in realistic arterial geometries," Annals of biomedical engineering, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp.483-497, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1114/1.1467679
- Steinman, D. A., D. A. Vorp, and C. R. Ethier, "Computational modeling of arterial biomechanics: in sights into pathogenesis and treatment of vascular disease," Journal of Vascular Surgery, Vol. 37, No.5, pp. 1118-1128, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1067/mva.2003.122
- Soulis, Johannes V., et aI., "Wall shear stress in normal left coronary artery tree," Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 39, No.4, pp.742-749, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.12.026
- Lorensen, William E., and Harvey E. Cline, "Marching cubes: A high resolution 3D surface construction algorithm," ACM siggraph computer graphics, Vol. 21, No.4, pp.163-169, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1145/37402.37422
- Newman, Timothy S., and Hong Yi, "A survey of the marching cubes algorithm," Computers and Graphics, Vol. 30, No.5, pp.854-879, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2006.07.021
- Kobbelt, Leif P., et aI, "Feature sensitive surface extraction from volume data," Proc. of the 28th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactiue techniques. ACM, pp.57-66, 2001.
- Zhao, Fei, and Rahul Bhotika, "Coronary artery tree tracking with robust junction detection in 3D CT angiography," Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, 2011 IEEE International Symposium on. IEEE, pp.2066-2071, 2011.
- AChenbaCh, Stephan, et aI., "Curved multiplanar reconstructions for the evaluation of contrast-enhanced electron beam CT of the coronary arteries," AJR, American journal of roentgenology, Vol. 170, No.4, pp.895-899, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.170.4.9530029
- Kanitsar, Armin, et aI., "CPR-curved planar reformation," IEEE, pp.37-44, 2002.
- Klok, Fopke, "Two moving coordinate frames for sweeping along a 3D trajectory," Computer Aided Geometric Design, Vol. 3, No.3, pp.217-229, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8396(86)90039-7
- Gottschalk, Stefan, Ming C. Lin , and Dinesh Manocha, "OBBTree: A hierarchical structure for rapid interference detection," Froc. of the 23rd annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques. ACM, pp.171-180, 1996.
- Moller, Tomas, "A fast triangle-triangle intersection test," Journal of graphics tools, Vol. 2, No.2, pp.25-30, 1997.
- Fang, Tsung-Pao, and Les Piegl, "Delaunay triangulation in three dimensions," Computer Graphics and Applications, IEEE, Vol. 15, No.5, pp.62-69, 1995.