- Volume 21 Issue 2
An energy storage system (ESS) is applied to increase the energy efficiency of large plants or buildings that consume much energy, to improve the power quality of power systems, and to stabilize renewable energy source such as photovoltaic or wind turbine. The ESS is composed of a power conditioning system (PCS) and an energy storage. The battery is used as the energy storage. The battery is needed to design and verify a hardware and control system of PCS. Usually, a battery simulator is used instead of a battery, which is costly and hard to manage. In this paper, the development of the battery simulator for performance verification of the MW-class PCS is described. The battery simulator simulates the charging and discharging characteristics of batteries to design and verify the hardware and control system of PCS.
Battery simulator;ESS(Energy Storage System);PCS(Power Conditioning System);PCU(Power Conversion Unit)
- S. Vazquez, S. M. Lukic, E. Galvan, L. G. Franquelo, and J. M. Carrasco, "Energy storage systems for transport and grid applications," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 12, pp. 3881-3895, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2076414
- K. C. Divya and J. Ostergaard, "Battery energy storage technology for power system - An overview," Electric Power Systems Research, pp. 511-520, Apr. 2009.
- S. H. Kim, T. H. Kim, Y. H. Kim, D. S. In, B. K. Kwon, and C. H. Choi, "A development of 2MVA battery energy storage system," The Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 174-181, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2012.17.2.174
- J. S. Hong, H. S. Chai, B. W. Kang, T. H. Kim, and J. C. Kim, "Application of energy storage system for industrial customer," The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 64, No. 7, pp. 992-998, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2015.64.7.992
- K. H. Han, T. K. Lee, and C. M. Jung, "Development of battery emulation system using power conversion unit," The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers, pp. 2708-2713, Nov. 2012.
- D. R. Seo and J. Lyou, "Battery simulator design for battery management system development," The Institute of Electronics Engineers of Korea, pp. 996-999, Nov. 2011.
- J. H. Kim, S. C. Choi, M. H. Shin, Y. C. Jung, and C. Y. Won, "A high voltage battery simulator using z-source converter with a wide output voltage range," 2013 International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, 2103.
- I. S. Kim, "Study on the controller design method for battery energy storage system using linearized battery model," The Transactions of the Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 530-537, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2014.19.6.530
- "General Performance requirements of PCS(Power Conditioning System) for energy storage systems, SGSF-04-2012-07" www.sgstandard.org.