- Volume 21 Issue 2
In the conventional E-bike, a 42 V/10 A Li-ion battery drives a 24 V/10 A BLDC motor via a 6-switch PWM DC/AC inverter. The major problems of the conventional battery-fed motor drive systems are listed as follows. To charge the battery, an external battery charger (adapter) is required, which degrades the portability of E-bike users. In addition, given the high-frequency operation of the motor drive inverter, the switching losses are significant, which degrades the whole power efficiency. High-voltage batteries (42 V) require a complex battery management system (BMS), which degrades the reliability of the battery pack. In this paper, an embedded boost-converter battery charger for E-bikes is proposed. The variable output boost converter, which converts 16.8 V battery voltage to the required variable voltage of the inverter input, can use a low-voltage battery and thus improve the reliability of batteries. By varying the inverter input voltage via boost converter, a DC link voltage control method can be applied to reduce the switching frequency of the inverter, which improves the whole power efficiency. Given that the function of a flyback charger is integrated in the proposed boost converter, the portability of the E-bike user can be maximized by excluding an external adapter. The validity of the proposed circuit will be confirmed by operation mode analysis and simulation. Moreover, experimental results of integrative charger using Li-ion battery and 200 W motor test will be showed with a prototype sample as well.
Boost converter;Motor drive inverter;Battery;Integrated flyback converter;E-bike
- J. Weinert, C. Ma, and C. Cherry, "The transition to elctric bikes in china : history and key reasons for rapid growth," Journal of Transportation, Vol. 34, Issue 3, pp. 301-318, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11116-007-9118-8
- T. C. Jeong, C. S. Jin, S. J. Kim, J. H. Han, and J. Lee "A study on high performance through improvement of PWM commutation method for E-bike BLDC motor," The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, pp. 71-73, Nov. 2012.
- Y. M. Lee, B. S. Kim, and C. W. Roh. "Boosting two-way about battery charge and discharge circuit," Power Electronics Annual Conference, pp. 423-424, Jul. 2014.
- C. C. Hua and M. Y. Lin. "A study of charging control of lead-acid battery for electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electron, Vol. 1, pp. 135-140, 2000.
- S. S. Park, J. H. Kim, and K. B. Leee, "Performance improve of transient state in CC-CV mode change for PV battery chargers," Power Electronics Annual Conference, pp. 206-207, Jul. 2013.
- C. Sreekumar and V. Agarwl. "A hybrid control algorithm for voltage regulation in DC-DC boost converter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2530-2538, June 2008.
- J. M. Um, T. E. Kim, J. H. Kim, and B. K. Lee, "Modeling of variable DC link inverter for high efficient motor drives," Power Electronics Annual Conference, pp. 237-239, Oct. 2008.
- S. H. Lee, S. G. Kang, P. Awasthim J. G. Hwang, S. Y. Lee, H. B. Wi, and S. J. Park. "Variable output and paralle operation control of EV charger," The Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 153-160, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2013.18.2.153
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 국민대학교, 산업통상자원부