- Volume 15 Issue 1
This study first introduces platform services and their business models. On the basis of the concepts of business ecosystem, we present a framework for distinguishing types of the platform service business models. Two key characteristics of business ecosystems-ecosystem configuration and value production process-are employed as fundamental dimensions for constructing typology. In particular, we also present the notion of value ecosystem, where not a single platform provider but a federation of platforms constitutes a virtual platform and completes a service system. The value ecosystem represents two distinct types of platform service business models : meta-platform ecosystem and platform coalition ecosystem. They show different governance structure in the platform federation and service flows across the ecosystem. We present detailed analyses of these two value ecosystems focusing on relevant cases of e-payment FinTech : Apple Pay as an example of meta-platform and Kakao Pay for platform coalition. Our conceptual typology contributes to platforms' proper strategy formulation and presents policy implications to, for example, platform neutrality.
Platform;Business Ecosystem;Value Production Process;Value Ecosystem;Meta-Platform;Platform Coalition;FinTech Case Study
- Armstrong, M., "Competition in Two-Sided Markets", The Rand Journal of Economics, Vol. 37, No.3, 2006, 668-691. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-2171.2006.tb00037.x
- Car, H. and A. Hagiu, Platform Strategy, 2011. (히라노 아쓰시 칼, 안드레이 학주, 천채정 역, 플랫폼 전략(원제 : プラットフォ-ム戰略), 더숲, 2011.)
- Carroll, G.R. and M.T. Hannan, The Demography of Corporations and Industries, Princeton University Press, 2000.
- Cho, Y.H., Platform Competitions, 21 Century Books, 2011. (조용호, 플랫폼 전쟁, 21세기북스, 2011.)
- Choi, B.S., "Emergence of Business Platforms : Its Implications", SERI CEO Information, No.802, 2011. (최병삼, "비즈니스 플랫폼의 부상과 시사점", SERI CEO Information, 제802호, 2011.)
- Cusumano, M.A., "The Evolution of Platform Thinking", Communication of the ACM, Vol.53, No.1, 2010, 32-34.
- Cusumano, M.A. and A. Gawer, "The Elements of Platform Leadership", MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol.43, No.3, 2002, 51-58.
- Cusumano, M.A. and M.S. Hopkins, "How to Innovate When Platforms Won't Stop Moving", MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol.52, No.4, 2011, 55-60.
- Dundas, K.N. and P.R. Richardson, "Corporate Strategy and the Concept of Market Failure", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.1, No.2, 1980, 177-188. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250010207
- Gawer, A., Platform, Markets and Innovation, Edward Elgar, 2011.
- Gawer, A. and M.A. Cusumano, "How Companies Become Platform Leaders?", MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol.49, No.2, 2008, 28-35.
- Eisenmann, T., "Managing Proprietary and Shared Platforms", California Management Review, Vol.50, No.4, 2008, 31-53.
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, and M.W. van Alstyne, "Platform Envelopment", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.32, No.12, 2011, 1270-1285. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.935
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, and M.W. Van Alstyne, "Opening Platforms : How, When and Why?", Harvard Business Review, 2008, 131-162.
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, and M.W. van Alstyne, "Strategies for Two-Sided Markets", Harvard Business Review, 2006.
- Evans, D.S., A. Hagiu, and R. Schmalensee, Invisible Engines : How Software Platforms Drive Innovation and Transform Industries, MIT Press, 2008. (에반스, 학주, 슈말렌지, 최민석, 보이지 않는 엔진, 생각의 나무, 2008.)
- Evans, D.S. and R. Schmalensee, Catalyst Code, HANS MEDIA Publisher, 2008. (에반스, 슈말렌지, 김태훈, 카탈리스트 코드, 한스미디어, 2008.)
- French Digital Council, Platform Neutrality : Building an Open and Sustainable Digital Environment, Opinion, No.2014-2, 2014.
- Hagiu, A., "Proprietary vs. Open Two-Sided Platforms and Social Efficiency", Harvard Business School Working Paper, No.09-113, 2009.
- Hagiu, A. and J. Wright, "Multi-Sided Platforms", Harvard Business School Working Paper, Series, No.12-024, 2011.
- Iansiti, M. and R. Levien, "Strategy as Ecology", Harvard Business Review, Vol.82, No.3, 2004, 68-81.
- Jacobides, M.G., T. Knudsen, and M. Augier, "Benefiting from Innovation : Value Creation, Value Appropriation and the Role of Industry Architectures", Research Policy, Vol.35, No.8, 2006, 1200-1221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2006.09.005
- Kim, D.H., "Under What Conditions Will Social Commerce Business Models Survive?", Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol.12, No.2, 2013a, 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2012.12.002
- Kim, D.H., "The Nature of Platforms at the Boundary between Market and Hierarchy", Proceedings of the 8th Complexity Science Conference, 2013b. (김도훈, "시장과 조직의 경계에서 본 플랫폼의 본질과 역할", 제8회 복잡계컨퍼런스 발표논문집, 2013b.)
- Kim, D.H., "Smart Media Ecosystem", Information and Communication, Vol.29, No.10, 2012a, 3-8. (김도훈, "스마트 미디어 생태계", 정보와 통신, 제29권, 제10호, 2012a, 3-8.)
- Kim, D.H., "Equilibrium Analysis of a Two-Sided Market with Multiple Platforms of Monopoly Provider", International Telecommunications Policy Review, Vol.19, No.3, 2012b, 1-22.
- Kim, D.H., "Dynamic Analysis of the Net Neutrality Issue in the Perspective of Internet as Platform in Two-Sided Market", Journal of Information Technology Services, Vol.10, No.2, 2011a. 75-94. (김도훈, "디지털 컨버전스 환경에서 양면시장 플랫폼으로서의 인터넷망 중립성에 관한 동태적 분석", 한국IT서비스학회지, 제10권, 제2호, 2011a, 75-94.)
- Kim, D.H., "Net Neutrality and Network Charging in the Era of Platform-Based Convergence", Telecommunications Review, Vol. 21, No.1, 2011b, 89-104. (김도훈, "플랫폼기반 컨버전스 환경에서 망중립성 이슈와 망이용대가 산정 : 스마트폰 양면시장을 중심으로", 텔레커뮤니케이션즈리뷰, 제21권, 제1호, 2011b, 89-104.)
- Kim, D.H., "Evolutionary Game Model for Platform Competition in Two-Sided Market", The Journal of Korean Operations Research and Management Science, Vol.35, No.4, 2010, 55-79. (김도훈, "양면시장형 컨버전스 산업생태계에서 플랫폼 경쟁에 관한 진화게임 모형", 한국경영과학회지, 제35권, 제4호, 2010, 55-79.)
- Kim, D.H., "Economic Evaluation of Net Neutrality Policy for Monopoly Network Provider", International Telecommunications Policy Review, Vol.16, No.2, 2009, 1-45. (김도훈, "독점적 망사업자에 대한 망중립성 정책의 타당성 분석 : 양면시장 관점에서 본 망중립성 이슈", 정보통신정책연구, 제16권, 제2호, 2009, 1-45.)
- Kim, H.Y., J.N. Lee, and J.M. Han, "The Role of IT in Business Ecosystems", Communications of the ACM, Vol.53, No.5, 2010, 151-156. https://doi.org/10.1145/1735223.1735260
- Kogut, B., "Country Capabilities and the Permeability of Borders", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.12, No.S1, 1991, 33-47.
- Kogut, B., "The Network as Knowledge : Generative rules and the emergence of structure", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 21, No.3, 2000, 405-425. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(200003)21:3<405::AID-SMJ103>3.0.CO;2-5
- Lescop, D. and E. Lescop, "Firm/Market Equivalency : How Platforms are Shaping Markets Through Market Failures", Available at SSRN 2264423, 2013.
- Martin, R., The Organizational Complex : Architecture, Media, and Corporate Space, Cambridge, MA, MIT Press, 2003.
- Moore, J.F., "Business Ecosystems and the View from the Firm", Antitrust Bull, Vol.51, No.1, 2006, 31-76. https://doi.org/10.1177/0003603X0605100103
- Moore, J.F., "The Rise of a New Corporate Form", Washington Quarterly, Vol.21, No.1, 1998, 167-181.
- Moore, J.F., "The Death of Competition : Leadership and Strategy in the Age of Business Ecosystems", Harper Business, New York, 1996.
- Moore, J.F., "Predators and Prey : a New Ecology of Competition", Harvard Business Review, Vol.71, No.3, 1993, 75-83.
- Nachira, F., P. Dini, and A. Nicolai, "A Network of Digital Business Ecosystems for Europe : Roots, Processes and Perspectives", European Commission, Bruxelles, 2007.
- Parker, G.G. and M.W. van Alstyne, "Two-sided Network Effects : a Theory of Information Product Design", Management Science, Vol.51, No.10, 2005, 1494-1504. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1050.0400
- Rochet, J.C. and J. Tirole, "Two-sided Markets: a Progress Report", The Rand Journal of Economics, Vol.37, No.3, 2006, 645-667. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1756-2171.2006.tb00036.x
- Rochet, J.C. and J. Tirole, "Platform Competition in Two-sided Markets", Journal of European Economic Association, Vol.1, No.4, 2003, 990-1029. https://doi.org/10.1162/154247603322493212
- Suarez, F.F. and J. Kirtley, "Dethroning an Established Platform", MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol.53, No.4, 2012, 35-41.
- Tee, R. and A. Gawer, "Industry Architecture as a Determinant of Successful Platform Strategies : a Case Study of the I-mode Mobile Internet Service", European Management Review, Vol.6, No.4, 2009, 217-232. https://doi.org/10.1057/emr.2009.22
- Tiwana, A., B. Konsynski, and A.A. Bush, "Platform Evolution : Coevolution of Platform Architecture", Governance, and Environmental Dynamics, Information Systems Research, Vol.21, No.4, 2010, 675-687. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1100.0323
- Xue, H., "Third-Party Transactional Platforms of E-Commerce : A Trio of Power, Responsibility and Accountability", Global Legal Issues, Vol.1, 2013.
- Evans, D.S., "The Antitrust Economics of Multisided Platform Markets", Yale Journal on Regulation, Vol.20, No.2, 2003, 325-382.
연구 과제번호 : BK21플러스
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 경희대학교