- Volume 23 Issue 1
Local food in rural area as a rural growth tool has to adapt to current market mechanisms by communication and promotion techniques. We need to know what and how local food consumers seek their benefits to market segmentations. The primary purpose of this study was to segment and profile the benefits of local food consumer so as to provide a better understanding of local food in Korea. A self-administered survey was obtained from 448 food consumer in the study area. Three distinct segments were identified based on the benefits; profit seeker (39.7%), passive consumers (19.0%), and value seeker (42.2%), and these were profiled with respect to socio-demographics and local food attitude-related features.
local food;rural development;market segmentation
- 국승용. (2012). 로컬푸드와 지역 농식품산업의 활로. Paper presented at the 농업전망 2012, 서울. 농촌경제연구원.
- 김철규. (2011). 한국 로컬푸드 운동의 현황과 과제. 한국사회, 12(1), 111-133.
- 윤병선, 김선업, & 김철규. (2011). 농민시장 소비자와 배태성: 원주 농민시장 참여 소비자의 태도에 관한 경험적 연구. 농촌사회, 21(2), 223-262.
- 정인경, 김영, & 김현철. (2012). 로컬푸드 소비에 대한 인식과 만족: 로컬푸드 소비활성화 및 비활성화 지역 간 차이를 중심으로. 외식령영연구, 15(3), 197-218.
- 홍경완, 김지영, & 김양숙. (2009). 로컬푸드의 개념적 이해 연구. 대한경영학회, 22(3), 1629-1649.
- Ahmad, R. (2003). Benefit segmentation: A potentially useful technique of segmenting and targeting older consumers. International Journal of Market Research, 45(3), 373-388.
- Andereck, K. L., & Caldwell, L. L. (1994). Variable selection in tourism market segmentation models. Journal of Travel Research, 33(2), 40-46. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759403300207
- Antonides, G., & Van Raaij, W. F. (1998). Consumer behavior: A European perspective. New York: Wiley.
- Bierly, P., & Chakrabarti, A. (1996). Generic knowledge strategies in the U.S. pharmaceutical industry. Strategic Management Journal, 17, 123-135. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250171111
- Blake, M. K., Mellor, J., & Crane, L. (2010). Buying local food: Shopping practices, place, and consumption networks in defining food as “local”. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 100(2), 409-426. https://doi.org/10.1080/00045601003595545
- Botchen, G., Thelen, E., & Pieters, R. (1999). Using means-end structures for benefit segmentation. European Journal of Marketing, 33(1), 38-58. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000004491
- Churchill, G. A., & Iacobucci, D. (2002). Marketing research: Methodological foundations. Mason, OH: South-Western.
- Dolnicar, S. (2002). Review of data-driven market segmentation in tourism. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 12(1), 1-22.
- Formica, S., & Uysal, M. (1998). Market segmentation of an international cultural-historical event in Italy. Journal of Travel Research, 36(4), 16-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759803600402
- Frochot, I. (2005). A benefit segmentation of tourists in rural areas: A Scottish perspective. Tourism Management, 26(3), 335-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2003.11.016
- Goreham, G. A., & Stofferahn, C. W. (2001). Enhancing local/regional food system for sustainable development: Leader's workbook. Fargo, ND: North Dakota State University.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2005). Multivariate date analysis (6 ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Haley, R. I. (1968). Benefit segmentation: A decisionoriented research tool. Journal of Marketing, 32(JULY), 30-35. https://doi.org/10.2307/1249759
- Haley, R. I. (1983). Benefit segmentation: 20 years later. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 1(2), 5-13.
- Johns, N., & Gyimothy, S. (2002). Market segmentation and the prediction of tourist behavior: The case of Bornholm, Denmark. Journal of Travel Research, 40(3), 316-327. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287502040003009
- Kassarjian, H. H. (1971). Personality and consumer behavior: A review. Journal of Marketing Research, 8(NOVEMBER), 409-418. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150229
- Khan, F., & Prior, C. (2010). Evaluating the urban consumer with regard to sourcing local food: A heart of England study. Int. J. Consum. Stud., 34(2), 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00836.x
- Kim, K.-H., & Park, D.-B. (2014). Factors influencing rural tourists; purchasing behaviour: Four types of direct farm markets in South Korea. Tourism Economics, 20(3), 629-645. https://doi.org/10.5367/te.2013.0305
- Knopf, R. C., & Barnes, J. D. (1980). Determinants of Satisfaction with a Tourism Resource: A Case Study of Visitors to Gettysburg National Military Park. In D. E. Hawkins, E. L. Shafer, & I. M. Kovebstad (Eds.). Tourism marketing and management issues (pp. 217-237). Washington, DC: George Washington University Press.
- Kohavi, R. (1995). A study of cross-validation and bootstrap for accuracy estimation and model selection. IJCAI, 1137-1143.
- Kotler, P., Bowen, J., & Makens, J. (2003). Marketing for hospitality and tourism (3th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Loker, L. E., & Perdue, R. R. (1992). A benefit-based segmentation of a nonresident summer travel market. Journal of Travel Research, 31(1), 30-35. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759203100107
- Martinez, S., Hand, M., Pra, M. D., Pollack, S., Ralston, K., Smith, T.,... Newman, C. (2010). Local food systems: Concepts, impacts, and issues. Washington, DC: USDA, ERS.
- McCarthy, E., & Perreault, W. (1982). Essentials of marketing. Chicago: Irwin.
- Moscardo, G., Morrison, A. M., Pearce, P. L., Lang, C., & O'Leary, J. T. (1996). Understanding vacation destination choice through travel motivation and activities. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 2(2), 109-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/135676679600200202
- Nie, C., & Zepeda, L. (2011). Lifestyle segmentation of US food shoppers to examine organic and local food consumption. Appetite, 57(1), 28-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2011.03.012
- Onozaka, Y., & Thilmany Mcfadden, D. (2011). Does local labelling complement or compete with other sustainable labels? A conjoint analysis of direct and joint values for fresh produce claims. Am. J. Agric. Econ., 93, 693-706. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajae/aar005
- Pearson, D., Henryks, J., Trott, A., Jones, P., Parker, G., Dumaresq, D., & Dyball, R. (2011). Local food: Understanding consumer motivations in innovative retail formats. British Food Journal, 113(7), 886-899. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070701111148414
- Prentice, R. C., Witt, S. F., & Hamer, C. (1998). Tourism as experience: The case of heritage parks. Annals of Tourism Research, 25(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(98)00084-X
- Ryan, C., & Glendon, I. (1998). Application of leisure motivation scale to tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 25(1), 169-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(97)00066-2
- Sarigollu, E., & Huang, R. (2005). Benefits segmentation of visitors to Latin America. Journal of Travel Research, 43(3), 277-293. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287504272032
- Stone, M. (1974). Cross-validatory choice and assessment of statistical predictions. J. R. Stat. Soc. B, 36, 111-147.
- Van Raaij, W. F., & Verhallen, T. M. M. (1994). Domain-specific market segmentation. European Journal of Marketing, 28(10), 49-66. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569410075786
- Vapnik, V. N. (1998). Statistical learning theory. New York: Wiley.
- Weinstein, A. (1987). Market segmentation: Using demographics, psychographics and other segmentation techniques to uncover and exploit new markets. Chicago: Probes.
- Young, S., Ott, L., & Feigin, B. (1978). Some Practical Considerations in Market Segmentation. Journal of Marketing Research, 15, 405-412. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150589
- Zepeda, L., & Deal, D. (2009). Organic and local food consumer behaviour: Alphabet theory. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 33, 697-705. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2009.00814.x