- Volume 17 Issue 3
Background: Multiple myeloma (MM) is influenced by genetic and micro-environmental changes. Malignant plasma cells produce an abnormal monoclonal immunoglobulin, as well as cytokines, such as IL-10 and IL-6 which stimulate cells of the bone marrow microenvironment (BMM) and cause dysfunction and failure of many organs. B cell activating factor (BAFF), IL6 and IL10 are known to influence the growth and survival of malignant clones. Aim: The objectives of the present study were to investigate the circulating levels of BAFF, IL-10 and IL-6, correlate them with well-known parameters of disease activity in patients with MM, and to detect their impact on patients' survival. Materials and Methods: This study was conducted on 89 newly diagnosed MM patients and seventy apparently healthy volunteers as a normal control group. BAFF, IL6, IL10 were measured by ELISA for both groups and survival analysis was performed for all patients. Results: Studied markers were higher in the MM patients compared to the normal control subjects. Patients survival was improved by high serum BAFF levels. Conclusions: High levels of BAFF were found to improve patients' survival. BAFF and IL-6 can be considered probable diagnostic markers for MM.
- Aarden L, DeGroot E, Schaap O, et al (1987). Production of hybridoma growth factor by human monocytes. Eur J Immunol, 17, 1411-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.1830171004
- Alexandrakis M, Roussou P, Pappa C, et al (2013). Relationship between Circulating BAFF Serum Levels with Proliferating Markers in Patients with Multiple Myeloma. Biomed Res Int, 389579.
- Batten M, Groom J, Cachero G, et al (2000). BAFF mediates survival of peripheral immature B lymphocytes. J Exp Med, 192,1453-66. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.192.10.1453
- Bird M, Owen G, D'Sa S, et al (2011). Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of multiple myeloma. Br J Haematol, 154, 32-75. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.2011.08573.x
- Bradwell R, Carr-Smith D, Mead P, et al (2001). Highly sensitive, automated immunoassay for immunoglobulin free light chains in serum and urine. Clin Chem, 47, 673-80.
- Caers J, Van Valckenborgh E, Menu E, et al (2008). Unraveling the biology of multiple myeloma disease: cancer stem cells, acquired intracellular changes and interactions with the surrounding micro-environment. Bull Cancer, 95, 301-13.
- Carl A, Burtis, Edward R, et al (1999). Tietz Text book of clinical chemistry, 3rd Ed, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders 1400.
- Durie G, Kyle A, Belch A, et al (2003). Myeloma management guidelines: a consensus report from the scientific advisors of the international myeloma foundation. Hematol J ,4, 379-98. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.thj.6200312
- DuVillard L, Guiguet M, Casasnovas O, et al (1995). Diagnostic value of serum IL-6 level in monoclonal gammopathies. Br J Haematol, 89, 243-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.1995.tb08944.x
- Estimated Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence in 2012. Available at http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_population.aspx. Accessed: May 2014.
- Fragioudaki M, Boula A, Tsirakis G, et al (2012). B cellactivating factor: its clinical significance in multiple myeloma patients. Ann Hematol, 91, 1413-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-012-1470-x
- Greipp R, San Miguel J, Duries M, et al (2005). International Staging System for multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol, 23, 3412-20. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.04.242
- Gupta M, Han J, Stenson M, et al (2012). Elevated serum IL-10 levels in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a mechanism of aberrant JAK-2 activation. Blood, 119, 2844-53. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-10-388538
- Hengeveld J , Kersten J (2015). B-cell activating factor in the pathophysiology of multiple myeloma: a target for therapy? Blood Cancer J, 27, 282.
- Hirano T (2014). Revisiting the 1986 molecular cloning of interleukin 6. Front. Immunol, 5, 456.
- Horii Y, Muraguchi A, Suematsu S, et al (1988). Regulation of BSF-2/IL-6 production by human mononuclear cells. J Immunol, 141, 1529-35.
- Kim E, Yoo C, Lee H, et al (2010). Serum albumin level is a significant prognostic factor reflecting disease severity in symptomatic multiple myeloma. Ann Hematol, 89, 391-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-009-0841-4
- Kovacs E (2010). Interleukin-6 leads to interleukin-10 production in several human multiple myeloma cell lines. Several human multiple myeloma cell lines. Does interleukin-10 enhance the proliferation of these cells? Leuk Res, 34, 912-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2009.08.012
- Kyle A, Gertz A, Witzig E, et al (2003). Review of 1027 patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Mayo Clin Proc, 78, 21-33. https://doi.org/10.4065/78.1.21
- Lauta M (2003). A review of the cytokine network in multiple myeloma. Cancer, 97, 2440-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11072
- Lemancewicz D, Bolkun L, Jablonska E, et al (2013). Evaluation of TNF superfamily molecules in multiple myeloma patients:Correlation with biological and clinical features. Leuk Res, 37, 1089-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2013.05.014
- Moore W, O'Garra A, de Waal R, et al (1993). Interleukin-10. Annu Rev Immunol, 11, 165-90. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.iy.11.040193.001121
- Moreaux J, Legouffe E, Jourdan E, et al (2004). BAFF and APRIL protect myeloma cells from apoptosis induced by interleukin 6 deprivation and dexamethasone. Blood, 103, 3148-57. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2003-06-1984
- Moreau P, San Miguel J, Ludwig H, et al (2013). Multiple Myeloma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines, Ann Oncol, 24, 133-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mds250
- Multiple Myeloma: Statistics (2015). Available at: http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/multiple-myeloma/statistics.
- Okada M, Kitahara M, Kishimoto S, et al (1988). I1-6/BSF-2 functions as a killer helper factor in the in vitro induction of cytotoxic T cells. J Immunol, 141, 1543-9.
- Oken M, Creech H, Tormey C, et al (1982). Toxicity and response criteria of the eastern cooperative oncology group. Am J Clin Oncol, 5, 649-55. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-198212000-00014
- Pika T, Minarik J, Schneiderka P, et al (2008). The correlation of serum immunoglobulin free light chain levels and selected biological markers in multiple myeloma. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub, 152, 61-4. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2008.009
- Sirohi B, Powles R, Kulkarni S, et al (2001). Comparison of new patients with Bence-Jones, IgG and IgA myeloma receiving sequential therapy: the need to regard these immunologic subtypes as separate disease entities with specific prognostic criteria. Bone Marrow Transplant, 28, 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bmt.1703093
- Sirohi B, Powles R (2004). Multiple myeloma. Lancet, 363, 875-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)15736-X
- Solomon A (1976). Bence-Jones proteins and light chains of immunoglobulins (first of two parts). N Engl J Med , 294,17-23. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197601012940105
- Solomon A (1986). Clinical implications of monoclonal light chains. Semin Oncol, 13, 341-9.
- Tinhofer I, Marschitz I, Henn T, et al (2000). Expression of functional interleukin-15 receptor and autocrine production of interleukin-15 as mechanisms of tumor propagation in multiple myeloma. Blood, 95, 610-8.
- Tricot G (2000). New insights into the role of microenvironment in multiple myeloma. Lancet, 355, 248-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)00019-2
- Weissenbach J, Chernajovsky Y, Zeevi M, et al (1980). Two interferon mRNAs in human fibroblasts: In vitro translation and Escherichia coli cloning studies. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 77, 7152-6. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.77.12.7152
- Wang M, Zhang L, Jiang M, et al (2011). Expression and significance of B cell-activating factor of TNF family (BAFF) and B cell lymphoma/leukemia-2 (BCL-2) in multiple myeloma. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi, 19, 395-8.
- The Prognostic Significance of Neutrophil-to-Lymphocyte and Platelet-to-Lymphocyte Ratios in Patients With Multiple Myeloma vol.30, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcla.22004
- Comparison of two melphalan protocols and evaluation of outcome and prognostic factors in multiple myeloma in dogs vol.32, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jvim.15084