- Volume 17 Issue 3
Background: Risk of developing breast cancer increases with short breastfeeding and the use of hormones. The prognosis of breast cancer is better if the tumours are hormone receptor positive. Since breast feeding affects estrogen and progesterone receptors, we wanted to investigate how such reproductive factors as breastfeeding and the use of hormones interact with known prognostic markers and specific tumour characteristics in women with breast cancer. Materials and Methods: A total of 250 women treated for breast cancer from a larger cohort completed a questionnaire on breastfeeding, number and age at births and use of hormones. A logistic regression analysis was made to search for connections between known prognostic markers on the one hand (type of cancer, grade, tumor size, estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor, lymphovascular invasion and DNA-ploidy) and reproductive data, breastfeeding, and hormone use on the other. Results and Conclusions: Hormone use, but not breastfeeding, was significantly associated, also on multivariate analysis, with the prognostic variable lymphovascular invasion, connected to a worse prognosis. No other hormone use or breast feeding correlations with prognostic variables were found.
Breastfeeding;childbirth;breast cancer;prognostic factors in breast cancer;LVI;NHG;DNA;ER/PR
- Anothaisintawee T, Wiratkapun C, Lerdsitthichai, P et al (2013). Risk factors of breast cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Asia Pac J Public Health, 25, 368-87. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539513488795
- Antoine C, Ameye L, Paesmans M, et al (2014). Systematic review about breast cancer incidence in relation to hormone replacement therapy use. Climacteric, 17, 116-32. https://doi.org/10.3109/13697137.2013.829812
- Caliceti C, Aquila G, Pannella M, et al (2013). 17 beta-estradiol enhances signalling mediated by VEGF-A-delta-like ligand 4-notch1 axis in human endothelial cells. PloS One, 8, 1440.
- Collaborative Group on Hormonal Factors in Breast Cancer: breast cancer and breastfeeding: collaborative reanalysis on individual data from 47 epidemiological studies in 30 countries, including 50 302 women with breast cancer and 96 973 Women Without the disease. (2002). The Lancet. 360, No 9328.
- Dieterich B, Albe X, Vassilakos P, et al (1995). The prognostic value of DNA ploidy and S-phase estimate in primary breast cancer: a prospective study. Int J Cancer, 63, 49-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910630110
- Ellis IO, Galea M, Broughton N, et al (1992). Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. II. Histological type. Relationship with survival in a large study with long-term follow-up. Histopathol, 20, 479-89.
- Elston CW, Ellis IO, (1991). Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. I. The value of histological grade in breast cancer: experience from a large study with long-term follow-up. Histopathol, 19, 403-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.1991.tb00229.x
- Garvin S, Nilsson UW, Dabrosin C, (2005). Effects of oestradiol and tamoxifen on VEGF, soluble VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2 in breast cancer and endothelial cells. Br J Cancer, 93, 1005-10. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602824
- Huang TS, Chen YJ, Chou Ty, et al (2014). Oestrogen-induced angiogenesis promotes adenomyosis by activating the Slug-VEGF axis in endometrial epithelial cells. J Cell Mol Med, 18, 358-71.
- Kallioniemi OP, Bianco G, Alavaikko M, et al (1987).Tumour DNA ploidy as an indenpendent prognostic factor in breast cancer. Br J Cancer, 56, 637-42. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1987.258
- Kwan ML, Bernard PS, Kroenke CH, et al (2015). Breastfeeding, PAM50 tumor subtype, and breast cancer prognosis and survival. J Natl Cancer Inst, 107.
- Li CI, Beaber EF, Tang MT, et al (2013). Reproductive factors and risk of estrogen receptor positive, triple-negative, and HER2-neu overexpressing breast cancer among women 20-44 years of age. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 137, 579-87. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-2365-1
- Loof-Johanson M, Brudin L, Sundquist M, et al (2011). Breastfeeding and prognostic markers in breast cancer. Breast, 20, 170-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2010.08.007
- Phipps AI, Chlebowski RT, Prentice R, et al (2011). Reproductive history and oral contraceptive use in relation to risk of triple-negative breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 103, 470-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr030
- Pinder SE, Ellis IO, Galea M, et al (1994). Pathological prognostic factors in breast cancer. III. Vascular invasion: relationship with recurrence and survival in a large study with long-term follow-up. Histopathol, 24, 41-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.1994.tb01269.x
- Sanchez BC,Sundqvist M, Fohlin H, et al (2010). Prolonged tamoxifen treatment increases relapse-free survival for patients with primary breast cancer expressing high levels of VEGF. Eur J Cancer, 46, 1580-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.03.014
- Schneider AP, Zainer ZM, Kubat CK, et al (2014). The breast cancer epidemic: 10 facts. Linacre Q, 81, 244-77. https://doi.org/10.1179/2050854914Y.0000000027
- Schoppmann SF, Jesch B, Zacherl J, et al (2013). Lymphangiogenesis and lymphovascular invasion diminishes prognosis in esophageal cancer. Surgery, 153, 526-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2012.10.007
- Seeger H, Wallwiener D, Mueck AO, et al (2006). Different effects of estradiol and various antiestrogens on TNF-alpha-induced changes of biochemical markers for growth and invasion of human breast cancer cells. Life Sci, 78, 1464-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2005.07.042
- Stoner M, Wormke M, Saville B, et al (2004). Estrogen regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor gene expression in ZR-75 breast cancer cells through interaction of estrogen receptor alpha and SP proteins. Oncogene, 23, 1052-63. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207201
- Stal O, Brisfors A, Carstensen J, et al (1992). Relationships of DNA ploidy, S-phase fraction and hormone receptor status to tumor stage in breast cancers detected by population screening. the south-east breast cancer group. Int J Cancer, 51, 28-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910510106
- Sundquist M, (2000). Prognostic factors in breast carcinoma: linkopings university, medical dissertations no 632.
- Widodo I, Ferronika P, Harijadi A, et al (2013). Clinicopathological significance of lymphangiogenesis and tumor lymphovascular invasion in Indonesian breast cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 997-1001. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.997
- Work ME, John EM, Andrulis IL, et al (2014). Reproductive risk factors and oestrogen/progesterone receptor-negative breast cancer in the Breast Cancer Family Registry. Br J Cancer, 110, 1367-77. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2013.807
- Zhao YC, Ni XJ, Li Y, et al (2012). Peritumoral lymphangiogenesis induced by vascular endothelial growth factor C and D promotes lymph node metastasis in breast cancer patients. World J Surg Oncol, 10, 165. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-10-165
- Breastfeeding Associated with Reduced Mortality in Women with Breast Cancer vol.11, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2015.0094
Supported by : Research Council of Southern Sweden (FORSS)