- Volume 10 Issue 4
According to the new directives about the rational and efficient use of energy, thermal bridges in buildings have to be avoided, and the thermal insulation (TI) layer should run without interruptions all around the building - even under its foundations. The paper deals with the seismic response of multi-storeyed reinforced concrete (RC) frame building structures founded on an extruded polystyrene (XPS) layer placed beneath the foundation slab. The purpose of the paper is to elucidate the problem of buildings founded on a TI layer from the seismic resistance point of view, to assess the seismic behaviour of such buildings, and to search for the critical parameters which can affect the structural and XPS layer response. Nonlinear dynamic and static analyses were performed, and the seismic response of fixed-base (FB) and thermally insulated (TI) variants of nonlinear RC building models were compared. Soil-structure interaction was also taken into account for different types of soil. The results showed that the use of a TI layer beneath the foundation slab of a superstructure generally induces a higher peak response compared to that of a corresponding system without TI beneath the foundation slab. In the case of stiff structures located on firm soil, amplification of the response might be substantial and could result in exceedance of the superstructure's moment-rotation plastic hinge capacities or allowable lateral roof and interstorey drift displacements. In the case of heavier, slenderer, and higher buildings subjected to stronger seismic excitations, the overall response is governed by the rocking mode of oscillation, and as a consequence the compressive strength of the XPS could be insufficient. On the other hand, in the case of low-rise and light-weight buildings, the friction capacity between the layers of the applied TI foundation set might be exceeded so that sliding could occur.
foundation on thermal insulation;extruded polystyrene (XPS);seismic response;RC structure;soil-structure interaction;nonlinear seismic analysis
- Ambraseys, N., Smit, P., Sigbjornsson, R., Suhadolc, P. and Margaris, B. (2002), Internet-Site for European Strong-Motion Data (http://www.isesd.hi.is/ESD_Local/frameset.htm), European Commission, Research-Directorate General, Environment and Climate Programme.
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A., Kyrkos, M.T. and Stathopoulos, K.G. (2015), "Earthquake induced torsion in buildings: critical review and state of the art", Earthq. Struct., 8(2), 305-377. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.2.305
- Apostolou, M., Gazetas, G. and Garini, E. (2007), "Seismic response of slender rigid structures with foundation uplifting", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 27(7), 642-654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2006.12.002
- Azinovic, B., Koren, D. and Kilar, V. (2014a), "The seismic response of low-energy buildings founded on a thermal insulation layer-A parametric study", Eng. Struct., 81, 398-411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.10.015
- Azinovic, B., Koren, D. and Kilar, V. (2014b), "Principles of energy efficient construction and their influence on the seismic resistance of light-weight passive buildings", Open Civ. Eng. J., 8, 105-116. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874149501408010105
- Bhattacharya, K. and Dutta, S.C. (2004), "Assessing lateral period of building frames incorporating soilflexibility", J. Sound Vib., 269(3-5), 795-821. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(03)00136-6
- Bunge, F. and Merkel, H. (2011), "Development, testing and application of extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) insulation with improved thermal properties", Bauphysik, 33(1), 67-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/bapi.201110008
- CEN (2004), European standard EN 1990-Eurocode 0-Basis of structural design, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- CEN (2005a), European standard EN 1998-1-Eurocode 8, Design of structures for earthquake resistance-Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- CEN (2005b), European standard EN 1997-1-Eurocode 7, Geotechnical design-Part 1: General rules, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Cheraghi, R.E. and Izadifard, R.A. (2013), "Demand response modification factor for the investigation of inelastic response of base isolated structures", Earthq. Struct., 5(1), 23-48. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.1.023
- CSI (2011), SAP2000 Ultimate (v15.0.0)-Structural Analysis Program, Computer & Structures, Inc., Berkeley, California, USA.
- Dequaire, X. (2012), "Passivhaus as a low-energy building standard: contribution to a typology", Energy Effic., 5(3), 377-391. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12053-011-9140-8
- Dolsek, M. and Fajfar, P. (2007), "Simplified probabilistic seismic performance assessment of planasymmetric buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36(13), 2021-2041. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.697
- Feist, W. (1996), "Life-cycle energy balances compared: low-energy house, passive house, self-sufficient house", Proceedings of the international symposium of CIB W67, Vienna, Austria.
- Feist, W. (2007), Warmebrucken und Tragwerksplanung-die Grenzen des warmebruckenfreien Konstruierens, Protokollband Nr. 35, Passivhaus Institut, Darmstadt.
- Gazetas, G. (1991), "Formulas and charts for impedances of surface and embedded foundations", J. Geotech. Eng., Am. Soc. Civ. Eng., 117(9), 1363-1381. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1991)117:9(1363)
- Gelagoti, F., Kourkoulis, R., Anastasopoulos, I. and Gazetas, G. (2012), "Rocking isolation of low-rise frame structures founded on isolated footings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(7), 1177-1197. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1182
- Ghannad, M.A. and Jafarieh, A.H. (2014), "Inelastic displacement ratios for soil-structure systems allowed to uplift", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(9), 1401-1421. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2405
- Giarlelis, C., Lekka, D., Mylonakis, G. and Karabalis, D.L. (2011), "The M6.4 Lefkada 2003, Greece, earthquake: dynamic response of a 3-storey R/C structure on soft soil", Earthq. Struct., 2(3), 257-277. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.3.257
- Iervolino, I., Galasso, C. and Cosenza, E. (2010), "REXEL: computer aided record selection for code-based seismic structural analysis", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 339-362. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9146-1
- Islam, A.B.M.S., Hussain, R., Jumaat, M.Z. and Rahman, M.A. (2013b), "Nonlinear dynamically automated excursions for rubber-steel bearing isolation in multi-storey construction", Automat. Constr., 30, 265-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2012.11.010
- Islam, A.B.M.S., Jumaat, M.Z., Hussain, R. and Alam, M.A. (2013a), "Incorporation of rubber-steel bearing isolation in multi-storey building", J. Civ. Eng. Manag., 19(Supplement 1), S33-S49. https://doi.org/10.3846/13923730.2013.801904
- Jarernprasert, S., Bazan-Zurita, E. and Bielak, J. (2012), "Seismic soil-structure interaction response of inelastic structures", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 47, 132-143.
- Kilar, V. and Koren, D. (2009), "Seismic behaviour of asymmetric base isolated structures with various distributions of isolators", Eng. Struct., 31(4), 910-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.12.006
- Kilar, V., Koren, D. and Bokan Bosiljkov, V. (2014), "Evaluation of the performance of extruded polystyrene boards-implications for their application in earthquake engineering", Polym. Test., 40, 234-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2014.09.013
- Kilar. V., Koren, D. and Zbasnik-Senegacnik, M. (2013), "Seismic behaviour of buildings founded on thermal insulation layer", Građevinar, 65(5), 423-433.
- Koren, D. and Kilar, V. (2011), "The applicability of the N2 method to the estimation of torsional effects in asymmetric base-isolated buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(8), 867-886. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1064
- Koren, D. and Kilar, V. (2014), "Buildings founded on thermal insulation layer subjected to earthquake load", Int. J. Civ., Arch., Struct., Constr. Eng., 8(5), 49-57.
- Koren, D., Kilar, V. and Zbasnik-Senegacnik, M. (2013), "Seismic safety of passive houses founded on thermal insulation", Proceedings of the 17th International Passive House Conference 2013, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
- Kreslin, M. and Fajfar, P. (2010), "Seismic evaluation of an existing complex RC building", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 363-385. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9155-0
- Kuzman, M.K., Groselj, P., Ayrilmis, N. and Zbasnik-Senegacnik, M. (2013), "Comparison of passive house construction types using analytic hierarchy process", Energy Build., 64, 258-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.05.020
- Mahmoud, S., Austrell, P.-R. and Jankowski, R. (2012), "Simulation of the response of base-isolated buildings under earthquake excitations considering soil flexibility", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 11(3), 359-374. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-012-0127-z
- Makris, N. (2014), "A half-century of rocking isolation", Earth. Struct., 7(6), 1187-1221. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.6.1187
- Merkel, H. (2004), "Determination of long-term mechanical properties for thermal insulation under foundations", Proceedings of the Buildings IX Conference, ASHRAE, Atlanta, USA.
- Moghaddasi, M., MacRae, G.A., Chase, J.G., Cubrinovski, M. and Pampanin, S. (2015), "Seismic design of yielding structures on flexible foundations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 44(11), 1805-1821. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2556
- Mylonakis, G. and Gazetas, G. (2000), "Seismic soil-structure interaction: beneficial or detrimental?", J. Earthq. Eng., 4(3), 277-301.
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of Seismic Isolated Structures, From Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- Naumoski, N.D. (1998), Program SYNTH: Generation of Artificial Accelerograms Compatible with Target Spectrum.
- Ohara, Y., Tanaka, K., Hayashi, T., Tomita, H. and Motani, S. (2004), "The development of a nonfluorocarbon-based extruded polystyrene foam which contains a halogen-free blowing agent", Bull. Chem. Soc. Japan, 77(4), 599-605. https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.77.599
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- Praznik, M., Butala, V. and Zbasnik-Senegacnik, M. (2013), "Simplified evaluation method for energy efficiency in single-family houses using key quality parameters", Energy Build., 67, 489-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.08.045
- Proietti, S., Sdringola, P., Desideri, U., Zepparelli, F., Masciarelli, F. and Castellani, F. (2013), "Life cycle assessment of a passive house in a seismic temperate zone", Energy Build., 64, 489-499.
- Sadek, E. and Fouad, N.A. (2013), "Finite element modeling of compression behavior of extruded polystyrene foam using X-ray tomography", J. Cell. Plast., 49(2), 161-191. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021955X13477436
- Sykora, D.W. (1987), Examination of existing shear wave velocity and shear modulus correlations in soils: Final Report AD-A214 721. US Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, Corps of Engineers, Geotechnical Laboratory, Mississippi.
- Varnava, V. and Komodromos, P. (2013), "Assessing the effect of inherent nonlinearities in the analysis and design of a low-rise base isolated steel building", Earth. Struct., 5(5), 499-526. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.5.499
- Vo, C.V., Bunge, F., Duffy, J. and Hood, L. (2011), "Advances in thermal insulation of extruded polystyrene foams", Cell. Polymers, 30(3), 137-155.
- Wolf, J.P. (1997), "Spring-dashpot-mass models for foundation vibrations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(9), 931-947. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199709)26:9<931::AID-EQE686>3.0.CO;2-M
- Wu, W.-H. and Lee, W.-H. (2002), "Systematic lumped parameter models for foundations based on polynomial fraction approximation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(7), 1383-1412. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.168
- Energy-efficient solution for the foundation of passive houses in earthquake-prone regions vol.112, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.01.015
Supported by : Slovenian Research Agency