- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimation of optimal ecological flowrates for fish habitats in a nature-like fishway of a large river
Kim, Jeong-Hui;Yoon, Ju-Duk;Baek, Seung-Ho;Jang, Min-Ho
- Received : 2015.08.11
- Accepted : 2015.11.08
- Published : 2016.02.28
Fishways are constructed to provide longitudinal connectivity of streams or rivers where their flow has been altered by in-stream structures such as dams or weirs. Nature-like fishways have an additional function of providing fish habitats. In the study, we estimated the role of a nature-like fishway (length: 700 m, slope: 1/100) for fish habitat by using two dominant species in the Sangju Weir, Nakdong River, to calculate the optimal ecological flow rate using Physical HABitat SIMulation (PHABSIM). To identify the dominant species that used the fishway, we conducted trap monitoring from August to November 2012 at the fishway exit. The dominant species were Zacco platypus and Opsariichthys uncirostric amurensis with a relative abundance of 62.1% and 35.9%, respectively. Optimal habitat suitability indices (HSIs) for Z. platypus and O. u. amurensis were calculated as 0.6-0.8 m/s (water velocity) and 0.2-0.4 m (water depth), and 0.5-0.7 m/s (water velocity) and 0.1-0.3 m (water depth), respectively. The optimal ecological flow rates (OEFs) for Z. platypus and O. u. amurensis were 1.6 and 1.7 cubic meter per second (CMS), respectively. The results of the study can be used in a management plan to increase the habitat function of nature-like fishways in the Sangju Weir. This methodology can be utilized as an appropriate tool that can determine the habitat function of all nature-like fishways.
fishway;habitat suitability index;Opsariichthys uncirostric amurensis;PHABSIM;Zacco platypus
- Barry T, Kynard B. 1986. Attraction of adult American shad to fish lifts at Holyoke Dam, Connecticut River. N Am J Fish Manag 6: 233–241. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)6<233:AOAAST>2.0.CO;2
- Aarestrup K, Lucas MC, Hansen JA. 2003. Efficiency of a nature-like bypass channel for sea trout (Salmo trutta) ascending a small Danish stream studied by PIT telemetry. Ecol Freshw Fish 12: 160–168. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0633.2003.00028.x
- Barrett J, Mallen‐Cooper M. 2006. The Murray River’s ‘Sea to Hume Dam’ fish passage program: progress to date and lessons learned. Ecol Manag Restor 7: 173–183. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-8903.2006.00307.x
- Boavida I, Santos JM, Cortes RV, Pinheiro AN, Ferreira MT. 2011. Assessment of instream structures for habitat improvement for two critically endangered fish species. Aquat Ecol 45: 113–124. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10452-010-9340-x
- Bovee KD. 1982. A Guide to Stream Habitat Analysis Using the Instream Flow Incremental Methodology. Instream Flow Information Paper 12. U.S.D.I. Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Biological Services, FWS/OBS-82/26, Fort Collins, CO.
- Bovee KD, Lamb BL, Bartholow JM, Stalnaker CB, Taylor J, Henrikson J. 1998. Stream Habitat Analysis Using the Instream Flow Incremental Methodology. U.S. Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division Information and Technology Report USGS/BRD-1998-0004, Fort Collins, CO.
- Bunt CM, Castro-Santos T, Haro A. 2012. Performance of fish passage structures at upstream barriers to migration. River Res Appl 28: 457–478. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.1565
- Cada GF. 1998. Fish passage migration at hydroelectric power projects in the United States. In: Fish Migration and Fish Bypasses (Jungwirth M, Schmutz S, Weiss S, eds). Fishing News Books, Oxford, pp 208-219.
- Gibbins CN, Moir HJ, Webb JH, Soulsby C. 2002. Assessing discharge use by spawning Atlantic salmon: a comparison of discharge electivity indices and PHABSIM simulations. River Res Appl 18: 383–395. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.685
- Clay CH. 1994. Design of Fishways and Other Fish Facilities. 2nd Ed. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- Eberstaller J, Hinterhofer M, Parasiewicz P. 1998. The effectiveness of two nature-like bypass channels in an upland Austrian river. In: Fish Migration and Fish Bypasses (Jungwirth M, Schmutz S, Weiss S, eds). Fishing News Books, Oxford, pp 363-383.
- Gard M. 2009. Comparison of spawning habitat predictions of PHABSIM and River2D models*. Int J River Basin Manag 7: 55–71. https://doi.org/10.1080/15715124.2009.9635370
- Gustafsson S, Österling M, Skurdal J, Schneider LD, Calles O. 2013. Macroinvertebrate colonization of a nature-like fishway: The effects of adding habitat heterogeneity. Ecol Eng 61: 345–353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2013.09.023
- Hur JW, Kim JK. 2009. Assessment of riverine health condition and estimation of optimal ecological flowrate considering fish habitat in downstream of Yongdam dam. J Korea Water Res Assoc 42: 481–491. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.6.481
- Im D, Kang H, Kim KH, Choi SU. 2011. Changes of river morphology and physical fish habitat following weir removal. Ecol Eng 37: 883–892. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2011.01.005
- Jungwirth, M. 1996. Bypass channels at weirs as appropriate aids for fish migration in rhithral rivers. Regul Rivers: Res Manag 12: 483–492. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1646(199607)12:4/5<483::AID-RRR402>3.0.CO;2-B
- Kang H, Im D, Hur JW, Kim KH. 2011. Estimation of habitat suitability index of fish species in the Geum River watershed. J Korean Soc Civil Eng 31: 193–203.
- Kang H, Im D, Kim KH. 2010. Numerical investigations of physical habitat changes for fish induced by the hydropeaking in the downstream river of dam. J Korean Soc Civil Eng 30: 211–217.
- McMahon TE. 1983. Habitat Suitability Index Models: Coho Salmon. U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, FWS/OBS-82/10.49, Fort Collins, CO.
- Kim IS, Park JY. 2002. Freshwater Fishes of Korea. Kyo-Hak Publishing Co., Seoul.
- Larinier M, Chanseau M, Bau F, Croze O. 2005. The use of radio telemetry for optimizing fish pass design. In: Aquatic Telemetry: Advances and Applications (Spedicato MT, Lembo M, Marmulla G, eds). FAO/COISPA, Rome, pp 53-60.
- Lee SH, Oh KR, Cheong TS, Jeong SM. 2012. An assessment of fish habitat of natural fishway by hydraulic model experiments and numerical analysis. J Korea Water Resour Assoc 45: 317–329. https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2012.45.3.317
- Moir HJ, Gibbins CN, Soulsby C, Youngson AF. 2005. PHABSIM modelling of Atlantic salmon spawning habitat in an upland stream: testing the influence of habitat suitability indices on model output. River Res Appl 21: 1021–1034. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.869
- Oldani NO, Baigún CR. 2002. Performance of a fishway system in a major South American dam on the Parana River (Argentina-Paraguay). River Res Appl 18: 171–183. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.640
- Pander J, Mueller M, Geist J. 2013. Ecological functions of fish bypass channels in streams: migration corridor and habitat for rheophilic species. River Res Appl 29: 441–450. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.1612
- Parasiewicz P, Eberstaller J, Weiss S, Schmutz S. 1998. Conceptual guidelines for nature-like bypass channels. In: Fish Migration and Fish Bypass (Jungwirth M, Schmutz S, Weiss S, eds). Fishing News Books, Oxford, pp 348-362.
- Petts GE, Maddock I. 1994. Flow allocation for in-river needs. In: River's Handbook: Hydrological and Ecological Principles, Volume Two (Calow P, Petts GE, eds). Blackwell Science, Oxford, pp 289-307.
- Vilizzi L, Copp GH, Roussel JM. 2004. Assessing variation in suitability curves and electivity profiles in temporal studies of fish habitat use. River Res Appl 20: 605–618. https://doi.org/10.1002/rra.767
- Reyes-Gavilán FG, Garrido R, Nicieza AG, Toledo MM, Brana F. 1996. Fish community variation along physical gradients in short streams of northern Spain and the disruptive effect of dams. Hydrobiologia 321: 155–163. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00023171
- Rosenberg DM, Berkes F, Bodaly RA, Hecky RE, Kelly CA, Rudd JW. 1997. Large-scale impacts of hydroelectric development. Environ Rev 5: 27–54. https://doi.org/10.1139/a97-001
- Santos JM, Ferreira MT, Godinho FN, Bochechas J. 2005. Efficacy of a nature-like bypass channel in a Portuguese lowland river. J Appl Ichthyol 21: 381-388. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2005.00616.x
- Waddle T. 2012. PHABSIM for Windows User's Manual and Exercises. Open-File Report 2001-340. U.S. Geological Survey, Fort Collins, CO.