- Volume 30 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation and Analysis of Characteristics for Hazen-Williams C Based on Measured Data in Multi-Regional Water Supply Systems
광역상수도 실측자료를 활용한 유속계수 평가 및 특성 분석
- Received : 2015.12.28
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.04.15
Although the Hazen-Williams C factors are very important in the design, operation, and maintenance of water supply pipes, sufficient studies for them have been not reported in korea, which are based on experiments or measured data. Because of this, we have estimated C factors by measurement considering constraints in time precise safety diagnosis for multi-regional water supply system were performed. In this study, we confirmed constraints and variables characteristics of Hazen-Williams equation, and collected reliable C factors data of 174 by measurement, and analyzed their characteristics. According to collected data, the average value is 115.35, which is almost equal to the value of design standard or a little higher than it in korea. Also, among the equations suggested to determine C factor in the past, the C factors calculated by Sharp and Walski equation was closest to them in this study. In addition, to analyze collected C factors, use year and pipe diameter having high correlation with them were respectively divided into there categories. Analysis results showed that C factors evidently decreases depending on increases in use year, on the other hand, size of pipe diameter is proportional to value of them. In conclusion, this research showing evaluation and characteristics for C factors based on measured data will be used as practical reference in determining C factor in multi-regional water supply systems at a later date.
Hazen-Williams C;Measured data;Multi-regional water supply system;Precise safety diagnosis;Water supply pipe
- Allen, R. G. (1996). Relating the Hazen-Williams and Darcy-Weisbach friction loss equations for pressurized irrigation, Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Vol. 12(6), pp 685-693. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.25699
- American Water Works Association (2009). Ductile - Iron Pipe and Fittings : Manual of Water Supply Practices M41, USA, pp 153.
- American Water Works Association (2010). Steel Pipe - A Guide for Design and Installation : Manual of Water Supply Practices M11, USA, pp 29.
- Bombardelli, F. A., Garcia, M. H. (2003). Hydraulic Design of Large- Diameter Pipes, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol 139, No. 11, pp 839-846.
- Brebbia, C. A. (1983). Computational Hydraulics, USA, pp 54.
- Cho, W. C., Lee, J. S., Park, H. C. (1993). "A Comparative Study on the Moody Diagram and Resent Formula for the Evaluation of Friction Factor", Journal of The 35th Water Engineer Research Conference, Korea Water Resources Association.
- Christensen, B. A. (2000). Discussion on 'Limitations and Proper Use of the Hazen-Williams Equation', Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol 126, pp 167-168. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2000)126:2(167)
- Dongyang Steel Pipe Company (2009). Steel Pipeline Handbook, pp 57.
- Hyosung Ebara Company (2006). Hyosung Pump Handbook, pp 156-157.
- Kim, J. H., Kim, Z. W., Lee, H. D., Kim, S. H. (1996). Development of Rehabilitation and Management Techniques for Old Water Distribution System, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp 197-205.
- Kim, K. Y. (2005). Water Hammer Analysis and Empirical Test in Bu-An Dam Metropolitan Main Water System, K-water, pp 392-393.
- Kim, Y. H., Lim, J. S., Park, Y. J. (1996). Study on Estimating Hazen-Williams Coefficient in Branching Pipeline System, Journal of Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp 44-52.
- Korea Csat Iron Pipe Company (2012). Design & Installation of Ductile Iron Pipe, pp 150-152.
- Korea Water and Wastewater Works Association (2004). A Guide for Design and Installation of Waterworks, pp 184.
- Korea Water and Wastewater Works Association (2010). A Guide for Design and Installation of Waterworks, pp 189.
- Kwon, H. J., Yu, M. G., Choi, S. C., Kim, D. G., Ji, H. G. (2014). "The Disign Criteria of Velocity Coefficient for Water Main", KSCE 2014 Convention, Korean Society of Civil Engineers.
- Larock B. E., Jeppson, R. W., Watters, G. Z. Hydraulics of Pipeline Systems, USA. pp 13.
- Lee, H. D. (1995). Development of Decision-Support System for Water Pipeline Rehabilitation, K-water.
- Locher, F. A. (2000). Discussion on 'Limitations and Proper Use of the Hazen-Williams Equation', Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, Vol 126, pp 168-169. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2000)126:2(168)
- Son, K. I. (1996). Predicting Flow Resistance Coefficients in Water Supply Mains, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association Vol. 29, No. 4, pp 223-231.
- Swanson, H. V., Reed, M. S. (1963). Comparison of flow for concrete pipe, American Water Works Association.
- Walski, T. M., Sharp, W. W., Shieldsm, F. D. (1988). Prediction Internal Roughness in Water Mains, Miscellaneous Paper EL-88-2, US Army Engineering Waterways Experiment Station.
- Webber, N. (1965). Fluid mechanic for civil engineer, E. & F. N. Spon, London.
- Park, H. Y. (2005). Introduction of Water Hammer Analysis, Dongmyeongsa, pp 42.
- Won, T. Y., Jung, S. W. (2013). SPSS PASW Statistics 18.0 Statistical Research Analysis, Hannarae Academy, pp 339.
- Yu, D. H., Won, Y. S. (1997). Comparison of Pipe Friction Factor Formulas, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 17, No. II-3, pp 185-195.