- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Safety Assessment on the Human Intrusion Scenarios of Near Surface Disposal Facility for Low and Very Low Level Radioactive Waste
저준위 및 극저준위 방사성폐기물 표층처분시설의 인간침입 시나리오 안전평가에 대한 고찰
Hong, Sung-Wook;Park, Sangho;Park, Jin Beak
- Received : 2015.11.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.22
- Published : 2016.03.30
The second-stage near surface disposal facility for low and very low level radioactive waste's permanent disposal is to be built. During the institutional control period, the inadvertent intrusion of the general public is limited. But after the institutional control period, the access to the general public is not restricted. Therefore human who has purpose of residence and resource exploration can intrude the disposal facility. In this case, radioactive effects to the intruder should be limited within regulatory dose limits. This study conducted the safety assessment of human intrusion on the second-stage surface disposal facility through drilling and post drilling scenario. Results of drilling and post drilling scenario were satisfied with regulatory dose limits. The result showed that post-drilling scenario was more significant than drilling scenario. According to the human intrusion time and behavior after the closure of the facility, dominant radionuclide contributing to the intruder was different. Sensitivity analyses on the parameters about the human behavior were also satisfied with regulatory dose limits. Especially, manual redistribution factor was the most sensitive parameter on exposure dose. A loading plan of spent filter waste and dry active waste was more effective than a loading plan of spent filter waste and other wastes for the radiological point of view. These results can be expected to provide both robustness and defense in depth for the development of safety case further.
Near surface disposal;Human intrusion;Waste emplacement;Institutional control period;Safety Case
- Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, Nuclear Safety Act, Enforcement Date 26. Oct (2011).
- Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, "Guidelines for Preparation of Safety Analysis Report for Low and Intermediate-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facilities", Notice No. 2014-64 (2014).
- Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, "Technical Requirements for the Operation and Control of Low and Intermediate-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facilities", Notice No. 2014-63 (2014).
- Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, "Radiological Protection Criteria for Long term Safety on Low and Intermediate-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal", Notice No. 2014-56 (2014).
- J.B. Park, J.W. Park, E.Y. Lee, and C.L. Kim, "Statistical Approach For Derivation of Quantitative Acceptance Criteria For Radioactive Wastes To Near Surface Disposal Facility", J. of Korean Nuclear Society, 35(5), 387-398 (2003).
- J.B. Park, S.M. Park, J.W. Park, E.Y. Lee, C.G. Lee and C.L. Kim, Quantitative Acceptance Criteria For Radioactive Wastes To Near Surface Disposal Facility, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, Technical Report, TR.01NC03.C2003.2 (2003).
- S. W. Hong, J. B. Park, and J. H. Yoon, "Study on the Institutional Control Period through the Post-drilling Scenario of Near Surface Disposal Facility for Low and Intermediate-level Radioactive Waste", JNFCWT, 12(1), 59-68 (2014).
- B. A. Napier, R.A. Peloquin, D. L. Strenge, and J. V. Ramsdell, GENII-The Hanford Experimental Radiation Dosimetry Software System, Volume 1: Conceptual Representation, PNL- 6584 Vol. 1 (1988).
- International Commission on Radiological Protection, "Age-dependent Dose to Members of the Public from Intake of Radionuclide", ICRP Publication 72, Annals of the ICRP, 1996.
- International Atomic Energy Agency, Application of Safety Assessment Methodologies for Near Surface Disposal Facilities (ASAM) - Assessment of Disruptive Events and Processes, Vienna (2006).
- Korea Radioactive Waste Agency, "Low and Intermediate-Level Radioactive Disposal Facility Safety Analysis Report", Chapter 6 (2010).
- Nuclear Safety and Security Commission, "Regulations for Classification and Clearance of Radioactive Waste", Notice No 2014-003 (2014).
- R. L. Aaberg, W. E. Kenenedy, and V. W. Thomas, "Definition of Intrusion Scenarios and Example Concentration Ranges for the Disposal of Near-surface Waste at the Hanford Site", PNL-631 (1990).
- C. Yu, A.J. Zielen, J.J. Cheng, D.J. LePoire, E. Gnanapragasam, S. Kamboj, J. Arnish, A. WalloIII, W.A. Williams, and H. Peterson, User's Manual for RESRAD Version 6, ANL/EAD-4 (2001).
- Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, "Sinwolsung 1, 2 Unit Radiation Environmental Impact Assessment for Operating Permit", 5.2-2 (2011).
- Determination of Radionuclide Concentration Limit for Low and Intermediate-level Radioactive Waste Disposal Facility I : Application of IAEA Methodology for Underground Silo Type Disposal Facility vol.15, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7733/jnfcwt.2017.15.3.257
- Uncertainty Management on Human Intrusion Scenario Assessment of the Near Surface Disposal Facility for Low and Intermediate-Level Radioactive Waste: Comparative Analysis of RESRAD and GENII vol.15, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7733/jnfcwt.2017.15.4.369